Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Maths...:O

Options
  • 14-09-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey, well I've just gone into fifth year and never in the world could I have expected higher maths to be soo hard. Is it jus me? The person beside me is doing extra questions while I'm still stuck on the first one. No exageration! Maths was one of my best subjects in JC and its so frustrating that I cant understand it now. You might think im worrying over nothing because it's only two weeks in but I really can't afford to drop to ordinary.. If anyone else has the same problem or even better a solution I'd be more than grateful..:)

nb93

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

nb93 wrote: »
    Hey, well I've just gone into fifth year and never in the world could I have expected higher maths to be soo hard. Is it jus me? The person beside me is doing extra questions while I'm still stuck on the first one. No exageration! Maths was one of my best subjects in JC and its so frustrating that I cant understand it now. You might think im worrying over nothing because it's only two weeks in but I really can't afford to drop to ordinary.. If anyone else has the same problem or even better a solution I'd be more than grateful..:)

nb93

Identical situation! I got an A at JC and coming out of TY into 5th this year its an enormous jump. My entire year (even the super maths-y people) are finding it hard. Take no mind to the person beside you, if I find a question hard I just skip onto the next one, so they're most likely doing that or getting it wrong. I'm trying not to worry about it but as you said its so frustrating, especially having been good at maths for JC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

nb93 wrote: »

nb93

i felt exactly the same this time two years ago, don't worry it's completely normal:) i got an a in the jc but i got such a shock in 5th year when we were thrown right in at the deep end! for the first few weeks i got so frustrated when i couldn't do the questions, i used to end up crying over my homework! i got c's and d's in summer test, christmas tests and class tests:( i became so jealous of the other students that were getting a's and b's or who dropped to pass!! however i stuck with it and i put in loads of work and it definitely paid off:) i got a grind in 6th year and did all the past exam q's and i managed to pull off an a1:eek: i know it's hard but don't give up just yet, try your best and have a chat with your teacher if you need extra help or advice. don't be afraid to ask questions, this was my downfall in 5th year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

LC maths and JC maths are really no comparison. It is a massive leap, and you have to get used to the fact that maths will just take up a disproportionate amount of your time compared to other subjects (hence why so many do pass). I think the only way people can stick it and get an A or high B is if they actually enjoy maths. You have to pay attention in class from the off or you'll get lost, and the course builds on itself.

Don't drop to pass just yet though, try and get help from your teacher if you're finding a section difficult, do NOT be afraid to ask if you don't understand something! Everyone will need to ask something. If HL maths is too difficult and/or time-consuming though, make sure before you drop to pass that it's not a requirement for whatever course you want to do.

5th year is a big step up from TY certainly! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nb93

Hey, thanks so much for all yer advice..:) I really appreciate it. I'll try stick with it. I'm thinking about asking the teacher to do double maths with me instead of games. I wouldn't mind so long as I stay up with the class ans get my points..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

What chapter are you doing at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

I was at a D2/3 average in higher maths for the first half of sixth year, then I started getting grinds in the institute. I got up to a B2 in February for the mocks and I ended up getting an A1 in the actual thing. I can't recommend those evening classes enough, they totally saved my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Got an A in the jc myself and alway breezed through maths back then! Felt the exact same as you when I started 5th year, but just starting 6th year now and tbh, the confidence is coming back! It really is a matter of practice, learning the exam/chief examiners style and work :) don't put it on the long finger, you will struggle, smart or not!

Ya I was thinking bout grinds myself but I might leave it until after Christmas, if Ii havn't improved by then it will be a serious posibility..:) I am really trying with maths, an A1 seems a million miles away at this stage.. Oh and were on algebra.. When she said thats what we were startin on I was delighted, thought it would be a walk in the park. How wrong I was...:) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

As everyone has said, it's NOTHING like JC! I feel the exact same, was brilliant at it in JC, haven't been doing too well in LC :/
    It's scary to think that Ireland's maths course is even watered-down compared to other countries because we do so many subjects. I think practice practice practice is the only way to master it. After you get solutions, go back over questions you did before and try them again. And then try them again a few weeks later to see if you remember how to do them.
    And when you've finished a topic, do lots of exam questions, more than you teacher asks you to do: it's all for your benefit and the end of the day.

And don't drop down! Stick it out! If you don't like one aspect of maths, you may well like many of the others. One good thing is that we cover lots of different topic in LC. HL Maths is a lot of work, but it's an achievement to do it and stick it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Parts of the Algebra can be tough, but the best thing to do is work on the exercises in the book. Mark the ones you can't do and show your teacher the next day so they can work out a solution with you. When you feel more comfortable about the section, move onto some exam questions. They can throw you off at first with their phrasing but remember that every piece of information they give you in the question is a clue, a piece of the puzzle for the solution, so make sure to use all info they give you. Things will start to look a little more optimistic when you move onto stuff like Trigonometry. Just stick with it for as long as you possibly can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

As everyone has said, it's NOTHING like JC! I feel the exact same, was brilliant at it in JC, haven't been doing too well in LC :/
    It's scary to think that Ireland's maths course is even watered-down compared to other countries because we do so many subjects. I think practice practice practice is the only way to master it. After you get solutions, go back over questions you did before and try them again. And then try them again a few weeks later to see if you remember how to do them.
    And when you've finished a topic, do lots of exam questions, more than you teacher asks you to do: it's all for your benefit and the end of the day.

And don't drop down! Stick it out! If you don't like one aspect of maths, you may well like many of the others. One good thing is that we cover lots of different topic in LC. HL Maths is a lot of work, but it's an achievement to do it and stick it out.
    In Greece they do 13 subjects, and I showed my Greek friend the '09 LC HL maths exam paper on that examination.ie site and he was like "are you serious?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CosmicCrusader

I'm in 6th year at the moment, guys and maths doesn't seem half as bad. It's not gonna get any easier, but you'll get better at coping with it as the year progresses. I was in your position last year and now one of the strongest in the class! So don't worry, you'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

My take on maths in Irish schools...

JC higher maths is based on following a logical sequence of events, and can be taken going mainly on intelligence and a bit of learning.

LC maths is also based on following a sequence of events, however there may not appear to be any logic to them and your teacher will not have the time to explain the logic. So you have to listen to what you're told and repeat it over and over. Then go and learn off a lot of processes etc. It doesn't matter how clever you are, if your memory is less than exceptional forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

My take on maths in Irish schools...

JC higher maths is based on following a logical sequence of events, and can be taken going mainly on intelligence and a bit of learning.

LC maths is also based on following a sequence of events, however there may not appear to be any logic to them and your teacher will not have the time to explain the logic. So you have to listen to what you're told and repeat it over and over. Then go and learn off a lot of processes etc. It doesn't matter how clever you are, if your memory is less than exceptional forget it.

my memory is less than exceptional, I got an A1. If you understand it, it makes a whole lot easier.I spent the same amount of time (if not less) on maths, Doing the questions is what makes the difference, as opposed to learning the formulae off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

and the course is even easier then when I did it in 1990.
    Its a doddle now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

amen wrote: »
    Its a doddle now!

The young people of today!! Sure they've no idea, we had to solve rocket science problems, carve out the answers onto stone while the supervisor sprayed us with a hose! And we had no shoes!

[/end old person rant]
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

amen wrote: »
    Its a doddle now!

+1 to this...I'm doing the LC this year and I was looking at papers from 15+ years ago the other day.:eek: seriously hard considering we have the new log tables as well.

The young people of today!! Sure they've no idea, we had to solve rocket science problems, carve out the answers onto stone while the supervisor sprayed us with a hose! And we had no shoes!

[/end old person rant]
    :P

hehehe..:P LOL.. Thanks everyone for your opinions. Really appreciate it. Ill try stick it out and see how it goes..:)

Advertisement