Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smile for the Camera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Is that your net lol? Wouldn't surprise me if it was lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

Chuileog wrote: »
    Is that your net lol? Wouldn't surprise me if it was lol.

LMAO its my net now... :D

well it was...

its cut up now...

anyone good at setting up motion sensor cams...

stick them on pools that get poached...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

anyone good at setting up motion sensor cams...

stick them on pools that get poached...

they are already being used on some private fisheries..........but the fishery board don't have the money to install and network 100,000 cameras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are already being used on some private fisheries..........but the fishery board don't have the money to install and network 100,000 cameras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well it is the locals that know when and where the fish are being poached..

i can tell you this i am going to stick a few on the river..

and i suggest clubs do the same...

stick a mobile motion sensor cam on a tree branch somewhere... hehehehehehehe

high resolution cam 15megabit...... you can zoom in later on the photo....

get some nice photos of poaching...

also some nice wild life photos...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Dry Fly,

I hate to curtail your Sherlock Holmes thing that you having going on... BUT... covertly recording people is, I believe, contrary to the data protection act and it renders the evidence (recording) inadmissable as evidence in a court of law. Only exception is you can record people on the telephone.

So, your efforts may well be in vain - better to spot the culprits and call the relevant authorities or go to a newspaper with all your evidence of the extent of poaching going on and seeing if they are interested in doing an expose and some investigative journalism.

If you feel strongly about this I'd recommend the latter.

snow ghost wrote: »
    Dry Fly,

I hate to curtail your Sherlock Holmes thing that you having going on... BUT... covertly recording people is, I believe, contrary to the data protection act and it renders the evidence (recording) inadmissable as evidence in a court of law. Only exception is you can record people on the telephone.

So, your efforts may well be in vain - better to spot the culprits and call the relevant authorities or go to a newspaper with all your evidence of the extent of poaching going on and seeing if they are interested in doing an expose and some investigative journalism.

If you feel strongly about this I'd recommend the latter.

nothing happens to a poacher if the law is thrown at him...

can you tell me what is the worst sentence thrown at a poacher. now i mean on average.. as far as i know nothing much...

get those camera phones out... :)

dont you think a poacher that thinks he is going to be photographed will not poach a river ?????????????????????

also poachers haver there own spots... so they always go back.... easy to get them.. and if you show your photos to the gards/BOF/IFI well they know where to look for them....

its not my fault that i was taking photos of wild life and a poacher neted the river is it..... the cameras are there to take photos of the natural beauty.... LMAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

nothing happens to a poacher if the law is thrown at him...

can you tell me what is the worst sentence thrown at a poacher. now i mean on average.. as far as i know nothing much...

get those camera phones out... :)

dont you think a poacher that thinks he is going to be photographed will not poach a river ?????????????????????

also poachers haver there own spots... so they always go back.... easy to get them.. and if you show your photos to the gards/BOF/IFI well they know where to look for them....

I remember a few years ago two 'anglers' caught salmon 'fishing' with an illegal bait getting a very hefty fine and suspended sentence. But in general - I don't know what happens to most poachers that are caught.

I hear what you are saying - only you are leaving yourself open to transgressing other laws.

Do you not think that a newspaper exposing this major threat to one of our great natural and tourism resources - angling - would deter the poachers even more? It could create quite a stir - lead to more be done in the long term.

its not my fault that i was taking photos of wild life and a poacher neted the river is it..... the cameras are there to take photos of the natural beauty.... LMAO.

classic...........

snow ghost wrote: »
    Do you not think that a newspaper exposing this major threat to one of our great natural and tourism resources - angling - would deter the poachers even more? It could create quite a stir - lead to more be done in the long term.

possibly.........but do such stories sell newspapers? thats all the papers care about, they are not charities.......will they publish?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you are not allowed to photo people breaking the law,how do local councils get over this when setting up covert cameras to catch fly tippers? just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

mp22 wrote: »
    If you are not allowed to photo people breaking the law,how do local councils get over this when setting up covert cameras to catch fly tippers? just wondering

I thought that whenever the council installed a camera at a site where illegal dumping has been taking place, they also put up a sign to inform people that there is a camera there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Im not sure what county but some bird boys put cameras up trees right next to a river and they all got robbed one night, it also led to 15 very old trees being cut down to get said cameras. The reason I know is because I was the mugg that bought the robbed camera's :mad: they robbed about 3 and half grands worth of stuff. I bought it all for 800 euro.

Apparantly its a big game robbing "hidden cameras" in the middle of the country-side. THey are easy pickings which bring back high income and little chance of being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

The poachers I have known wouldn't give a toss if their photo was in the media. In fact they would probably think it was funny. Its the kind of thing that would only work once, hard to recognise anyone in a balaclava. Where I grew up the river was/is poached to death. Several guys made no secret of it and openly offered salmon for sale in the local pubs after a good night. Not sure if that still goes on, I suspect they are a little more discreet nowadays.

Gerry.L wrote: »
    Im not sure what county but some bird boys put cameras up trees right next to a river and they all got robbed one night, it also led to 15 very old trees being cut down to get said cameras. The reason I know is because I was the mugg that bought the robbed camera's :mad: they robbed about 3 and half grands worth of stuff. I bought it all for 800 euro.

Apparantly its a big game robbing "hidden cameras" in the middle of the country-side. THey are easy pickings which bring back high income and little chance of being caught.

sounds like your bird boys did not have hidden cameras...

did you get the memory card that came with those cameras...????????

as you can restore the last photos it took if you did not write over the memory card fully... you might have the guys faces on the card....

aidanf wrote: »
    I thought that whenever the council installed a camera at a site where illegal dumping has been taking place, they also put up a sign to inform people that there is a camera there.

ill make sure i staple a sign to a tree...LOL

The poachers I have known wouldn't give a toss if their photo was in the media. In fact they would probably think it was funny. Its the kind of thing that would only work once, hard to recognise anyone in a balaclava. Where I grew up the river was/is poached to death. Several guys made no secret of it and openly offered salmon for sale in the local pubs after a good night. Not sure if that still goes on, I suspect they are a little more discreet nowadays.

hope those guys in balaclavas are not mistaken for bank robbers after bars of silver... excuse the pun....

ther might be a shoot out... lol....

with a camera of course.......

I suspect they are a little more discreet nowadays.

Not really illegally caught salmon are openly on sale in many areas around the country....this year there were over 30 nets taken out of the river Dee in Co Louth.

Advertisement