Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishery board

Options
  • 14-09-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

a post on another thread got me thinking...why do the majority of anglers have such poor opinions about the fishery board. just wondering. is it down to poor public relations, communications, poor management etc? now i am not having a go just want to see genuine reasons for this apathy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

a post on another thread got me thinking...why do the majority of anglers have such poor opinions about the fishery board. just wondering. is it down to poor public relations, communications, poor management etc? now i am not having a go just want to see genuine reasons for this apathy.

they dont have all the information they need and then make the wrong decision... some times...

they are not funded properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

they are not funded properly...

thats true.....and after the budget their funding will be cut further for next year, already cut by €2m this year.

i would like to see a national rod angling fee for all freshwater fishermen...not just salmon and seatrout, brown trout and coarse fish too and the money raised going into fishery development and protection ONLY not spent on admin.

why is it that only salmon and seatrout anglers have to buy a permit and others dont??????????? crazy stuff

one permit same price to cover all species.....if you want to fish for salmon get tags if you dont well dont get tags

thats true.....and after the budget their funding will be cut further for next year, already cut by €2m this year.

i would like to see a national rod angling fee for all freshwater fishermen...not just salmon and seatrout, brown trout and coarse fish too and the money raised going into fishery development and protection ONLY not spent on admin.

why is it that only salmon and seatrout anglers have to buy a permit and others dont??????????? crazy stuff

one permit same price to cover all species.....if you want to fish for salmon get tags if you dont well dont get tags

agree - everyone should buy a licence for fresh water if they want to fish...

same licence for all fishermen... and all types of fish. but half the price of the regional and all region... as there would be alot more people buying them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

I am in the country for 6 years. Never seen them. Never received any post from them despite giving them money for my licence ... So i cannot really say anything apart from : I don't know who they are, what they do....

the only fishery i noticed was managed is Lough Currane but i think the locals are very active.

BoarHunter wrote: »
    I don't know who they are, what they do....

This seems to be a common theme among anglers.........surely this can improve

• Advertisement

BoarHunter wrote: »
    I am in the country for 6 years. Never seen them. Never received any post from them despite giving them money for my licence ... So i cannot really say anything apart from : I don't know who they are, what they do....

the only fishery i noticed was managed is Lough Currane but i think the locals are very active.

well i have been challenged on the river by BOF... had 4 salmon that day and released all ..... they were waiting for me back at my car

and also by club members and club water keepers...

but maybe i just fish to much lol

well i have been challenged on the river by BOF... had 4 salmon that day and released all ..... they were waiting for me back at my car

and also by club members and club water keepers...

but maybe i just fish to much lol

i dont know what you are on about.........i just want to get genuine opinions and do not want to degenerate into a cribbing session.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Dead right - this forum wont turn into a crib........

I have been challenged several times on the Blackwater in Cork & at Inniscarra Dam - very politely, very professional

Key to this is underfunded - Zzippy might throw some light on this as he's involved with the water protection authorities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

2 million is ALOT fisherywise aswell when you think about it

so are all the problems down to money then? i am not so sure...i believe that there are communication and PR problems too that area could be looked at....interaction? one way is via the net, the old regional fisheries boards all had their own websites (they are still up and running) they should be pulled down and one IFI website in one place with all the details for irish angling there, and not just general fishery info and reports, but updated info on the work they are currently doing, research, prosecutions, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

so are all the problems down to money then? i am not so sure...i believe that there are communication and PR problems too that area could be looked at....interaction? one way is via the net, the old regional fisheries boards all had their own websites (they are still up and running) they should be pulled down and one IFI website in one place with all the details for irish angling there, and not just general fishery info and reports, but updated info on the work they are currently doing, research, prosecutions, etc.

How long has IFI been in existence? not long.
    How much money and time has been allocated to IT spend?
    Given that there is an IT moratorium under the current govt rules, no new equipment can be bought.
    How many guys are going to be brought in to make this website? Again there is a moratorium on recruitment at present.
    Hard to do something with nothing.
    The present one is pretty good IMHO.
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/

This all comes back to money and at present there is nothing in the pot.
    A new website and the rest sounds good but it is a case of "Somebody should do something about that" and if there is no money to make a new site then

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How long has IFI been in existence? not long.
    How much money and time has been allocated to IT spend?
    Given that there is an IT moratorium under the current govt rules, no new equipment can be bought.
    How many guys are going to be brought in to make this website? Again there is a moratorium on recruitment at present.
    Hard to do something with nothing.
    The present one is pretty good IMHO.
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/

This all comes back to money and at present there is nothing in the pot.
    A new website and the rest sounds good but it is a case of "Somebody should do something about that" and if there is no money to make a new site then

i agree with most of your points....no need to bring in new people to update the existing website...the existing website is ok......could be more info on there and i dont see how that would cost much..... as for the general lack of funding why not raise funds via a proper freshwater licence as suggested above? is this not being considered? what is being considered? What plans to they have? does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

The website of IFI has a lot of information on what the IFI does and how it does it.
    http://www.fisheriesireland.ie

Slasher wrote: »
    The website of IFI has a lot of information on what the IFI does and how it does it.
    http://www.fisheriesireland.ie

Yea I read that its all general stuff they do but what about specific projects? And what about updating the website more often and encourage interaction? I just think more can be done in that area.

Have you made a submission to them, in writing?
    If so why not? No point complaining about something not being done unless you give people some idea of what you would like to see!

Have you made a submission to them, in writing?
    If so why not? No point complaining about something not being done unless you give people some idea of what you would like to see!

CJ I am not complaining about them......please don’t get me wrong this is not a finger pointing rant/slur…..I just want to get ideas ‘out there’ so to speak. I presume that members or people associated with IFI have a look at these forums from time to time; therefore they know my ideas mentioned above and the ideas of others. Therefore considering that point if enough people post constructive ideas here then there will be no need to write letters to them on a singular basis, do you not agree?

No I don't agree.
    If you want something done, write a letter and make some suggestions.
    anonymous posters on a a message board don't have quite the same impact as a well constructed letter detailing your suggestions directly to the body concerned.

You wouldn't complain about a product before contacting the manufacturer first would you?
    why is this any different?

No I don't agree.
    anonymous posters on a a message board don't have quite the same impact as a well constructed letter detailing your suggestions directly to the body concerned.

You wouldn't complain about a product before contacting the manufacturer first would you?

Well we will have to agree to disagree…..i cant see why they cant pick up constructive ideas from a public forum that is open to all to comment…. the world is changing quill and ink might be well more formal but the internet is far more powerful…if I write a letter they just get my views and not the views of others who can post here.

I am not sure what you mean by that? As I have said I am not complaining, just merely making suggestions. anyway its going off topic a bit and i would rather hear ideas/constructive comments than follow along this line.

What I am saying is that OK a Bailiff might read this page and say to themselves, yeah great idea.
    BUT the person responsible for making the website might never meet that bailiff.
    IFI is not a bunch of people sitting around surfing the web, some are webmasters others are bailiffs, and others are involved in HR, accounts and managment.
    How are they supposed to take ideas from a message boards anonymous poster and run with them? If people want change they have to effect it themselves.
    10 people writing in and saying that they would like to have more information on the web about XXX would certainly get more attention than 100 people ranting on this forum.
    There is a lot of shíte talked on the internet and yes it may be powerful but to seperate the wheat from the chaff is the hard part.
    Just to be clear, I don't work for IFI but I know how things work in these organisations.

ok i am not getting into that....I just want people to post ideas..no rants no sh1te here.....how the IFI actually get to hear about them is another days work.....I don't want to go down that road just now.

• Advertisement

I would like to see a poll done or get others views on a freshwater angling licence.

A licence for ALL species of freshwater fish, not just Salmon and seatrout, but brown trout, pike, carp and all other coarse fish.

Of course you would have to have 10day 20day and 30day licences too.

I know that a trout angling licence was proposed in 1989 and strongly opposed. The problem then there was no transparency.

Of course ALL funds raised would HAVE to go back into fishery development and protection and this would have to transparent for all to see. If it was not I would not support such a licence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

.... Of course ALL funds raised would HAVE to go back into fishery development and protection and this would have to transparent for all to see. If it was not I would not support such a licence.

And you know what chance there is of ringfencing angling revenue from the compulsive spendthrifts we call politicians?

coolwings wrote: »
    And you know what chance there is of ringfencing angling revenue from the compulsive spendthrifts we call politicians?

Yes that’s the hard bit.......I would imagine that if it was ring fenced then most anglers would be in favour, if not they would not….It could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Fisheries Ireland have a public consultation call out at the moment if anyone's interested:

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/State-Fisheries/public-consultation-on-the-management-of-state-fisheries.html

If you really think a freshwater licence is a good idea and want them to consider the idea or have some other ideas/feedback on the management of Irish fisheries then it would be a good idea to make a submission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

I say let the angling forum of boards.ie run the countries fishery board, seriously.

aidanf wrote: »
    Fisheries Ireland have a public consultation call out at the moment if anyone's interested:

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/State-Fisheries/public-consultation-on-the-management-of-state-fisheries.html

If you really think a freshwater licence is a good idea and want them to consider the idea or have some other ideas/feedback on the management of Irish fisheries then it would be a good idea to make a submission.

i am glad to see that and will make a submission...but i have to say i didnt see that until you posted about it today...that begs another question how many anglers have seen it? They should 'post' those links themselves on forums then more might see it and take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I just submitted that survey. But as Ironblue said, if it didn't pop up here i would have never known about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

No I don't agree.

To be fair - discussing matters on message boards and other forms of social networking on the internet is how much modern communication - including involving positive or negative opinions of products and services - is now done.

Most of the savy organisations that are interested in their customer service or other stakeholders opinions fully embrace this method of connecting with their customers.

So why shouldn't publicly funded organisations like the inland fisheries board? Or maybe they do?

Personally, i think that the fisheries board probably don't receive adequate funding or resources to comprehensively manage the vast waterways of Ireland. That said most public bodies in Ireland are adept at doing as little as possible and excelling at being super-inefficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

SeaFields wrote: »
    I just submitted that survey. But as Ironblue said, if it didn't pop up here i would have never known about it.

Me too - I wouldn't have known anything about it either.

• Advertisement

snow ghost wrote: »
    Me too - I wouldn't have known anything about it either.

yea in my submission, next week, i think i will ask them to start posting 'notices/info'' on the angling forums.....they could do a lot worse.

i suspect very few have seen that page on public consultation....now just not good enough.

Advertisement