Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle Click with dell and windows 7 64 bit?

Options
  • 14-09-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Recently I switched over to windows 7 64 bit and everything is so far running great, except that is for my touchpad. It functions alright but the problem is that my middle click functions no more. Im finding this headwreaking because before I used this function a lot to open new tabs while internet browsing.

Tried to fiddle around with the settings in control panel but no dice. I was told its because it was dells driver which enabled this function and im currently using a synaptics driver.

Well if I know the solution to my problem, you might be asking yourselves why I havent fixed my issue. The answer to that is, I just cannot for the life of me find the driver. I found plenty for 32 bit but they wouldnt install for me.

Does anyone know where I can find either the driver for my dell touchpad that will work with windows 7 64 bit? Either that or point me in the direction of somthing third party that will do the same job.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Patricide wrote: »
    Hey all,

Recently I switched over to windows 7 64 bit and everything is so far running great, except that is for my touchpad. It functions alright but the problem is that my middle click functions no more. Im finding this headwreaking because before I used this function a lot to open new tabs while internet browsing.

Tried to fiddle around with the settings in control panel but no dice. I was told its because it was dells driver which enabled this function and im currently using a synaptics driver.

Well if I know the solution to my problem, you might be asking yourselves why I havent fixed my issue. The answer to that is, I just cannot for the life of me find the driver. I found plenty for 32 bit but they wouldnt install for me.

Does anyone know where I can find either the driver for my dell touchpad that will work with windows 7 64 bit? Either that or point me in the direction of somthing third party that will do the same job.

Cheers!
    You need the Synaptics driver alrite (or if your device is actually a Alps pointing device afaik its a different driver), look for a Vista x64 bit version of the driver for your dell model, it should install, if not right click the setup.exe and choose windows vista x64 under compatability tab, I ran into this issiue before with my old dell laptop (going from xp-7) and I think the Vista driver worked a treat :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yoyo wrote: »
    You need the Synaptics driver alrite (or if your device is actually a Alps pointing device afaik its a different driver), look for a Vista x64 bit version of the driver for your dell model, it should install, if not right click the setup.exe and choose windows vista x64 under compatability tab, I ran into this issiue before with my old dell laptop (going from xp-7) and I think the Vista driver worked a treat :)

Nick
    I already had the synaptics driver installed, but i heard elsewhere i needed the dell pointing stick one to get the middle click to work.

I searched alright but the problem is that there are no windows 64 drivers bit for my laptop model(dell vostro 1500). My head is wreaked here. Any advice good sir? Even if there was anything third party out there itd be the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im finding this headwreaking because before I used this function a lot to open new tabs while internet browsing.

In the interim you can use CTRL click instead of MMB(never knew about that one) in most browsers.

In the interim you can use CTRL click instead of MMB(never knew about that one) in most browsers.
    That works a treat for the time being cheers.

If anyone else knows the way to sort my middle click though it would be appreciated. Iv googled the hell out of it but maybe someone here had a similar problem, who knows.

Ok, after a windows update it now works...dunno why or how but it works. Very strange.

• Advertisement

Ok, after a windows update it now works...dunno why or how but it works. Very strange.

Windows update can pick up newer drivers automaticly, it helped me get my Razor my razor mouse driver to work under vista 64bit, good stuff it sorted it :)

Nick

Kinda half sorted it, I may have spoke too soon. For some reason now the scroll on my touch pad will scroll down but not up...hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

What is the Laptop Model Number

Dell vostro 1500.

• Advertisement

Ok, middle click now works, problem....Now it wont scroll up, or left. So I can scroll down and left with my touchpad but not any other way. Argh. Im at my wits end. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Your best bet is to find out more about the touchpad.

Download and install Everest Home edition from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Under Devices -> Windows Devices look for the trackpad / tochpad

Post the properties

You can add middle click support to any Synaptics touchpad by installing the driver and importing this registry setting. Reboot or log off for it to take effect.
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults]
    "HasBothButtonFeature"=dword:00000001

If you're stuck for a driver, try the generic one from Synaptics here. It works fine on my laptop but some with special features, such as the Acer Aspire 5920, require vendor specific drivers.

Ok after checking everything out it seemed tha my drivers were ok, infact i didnt even realise the mouse wheel worked everywhere.......except that is for safari. Any advice from here(in before use firefox or chrome....no, just no :P )

Advertisement