Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboarding Solo

Options
  • 14-09-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey all,

I was planning on going with my friends on a snowboarding holiday this xmas week and now they have to pull out due to work cuts/money etc. So Im really keen to still go, but looking on the internet I am finding it hard to find holidays for solo travelers that don't cost the world. I had a look at the other threads that are on this subject and although one or two people suggested things, it wasn't really helpful. So hoping for a better result on here. Has anyone gone solo before?Recommendations?I'm female,beginner/intermediate snowboarder...Any info would be great:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

in the same boat myself..... interested to see the info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Personally, I love solo holidays. That way, you can really get to know the people you meet. The bigger a group you are with, the smaller the chances that you will actually talk to strangers.

I would think about the French youth hostels in the Alps. They do good value packages, with full board and lift pass etc. They are good craic, safe, and they don't charge extra because you are on your own. The hostel in Tignes is probably the cheapest way of skiing that area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

The Ski club of Ireland do group holidays from here if you are looking for something like that,There are 3 Courcheval in Jan (More Advanced) Soll :( ( For a bit of everything) and Le Grave if you are mentally unstable and love danger.

Plenty of options out there or you could even start something here looking for people to joun ya

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not tried rounding anybody up yet, but I'm expecting everyone to be replying with topics along the lines of babies/ mortgage/ job/ scared of snow. Hoping to get at least a couple of trips in this season if possible, so any suggestion of a few boardsies banding together sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Id be very interested in a group from boards going !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Missgoggles

Me too. Ideally Id be looking to go over the xmas/new year week....and then again in January. My mates can only make the January sessions. So if anyone is keen, it would be great!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Check previous threads,there was a group from boards last season who had organised a gang to head off.It was composed of many solo skiers/boarders liek yourselves who just wanted to head off with a crowd for soem fun and company.You should try re-igniting another posse,im sure you'd get lots going ..maybe nearer the time when people have a better idea of when they can go etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

You don’t need to look for specific solo holiday providers just book it all independently. I travelled on my own and had my own accommodation last year (although family of mine were in the same resort for some of the week).

Got my single accommodation through the tourist office in Austria for €329 b+b inc a full 6 day area lift pass. Plus £99 for the Lufthansa flight into Munich and €60 first class train travel into resort.

Are you going to be in ski/board school at all? If so that a great place to make friends. If not then look out for guided session from the tourist office where you can ski/board with others round the mountain.

Failing that then once you have decided where you want to go then put the word out and see if anyone else is around. Bound to be someone you can hook with in the more popular resorts.

Xmas/NY is the most expensive time though so you may struggle to get a gang together if you decide to arrange a boards trip then. Would you consider another week maybe?

I had a couple of days skiing on my own last year and it was good although I would not want to do a week on my own.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The week after NY could be a good time for a cheap trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cooper82

hey,

hoping to go snowboarding for a week around xmas/new year too.would def be interested in joining a group. I'm a beginner at boarding so thinking of doing a course while I'm there, I've only ever boarded on a dry slope - in Kilternan!!
    would be good to join a group so I'll keep an eye on this to see if anything develops :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I suggest we start a new thread dedicated to organising a group boardsies trip.

I'm interested in going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Smutty007

I've been on three solo snowboarding holidays in recent years.
    There is an excellent youth hostel in Bad Gastein in Austria (Euro Youth Hostel), http://www.euro-youth-hotel.at/ probably one of the best hostel I've ever stayed in, boarding is ok, nice park and some difficult enough runs.
    There are a lots of cheap hostels in Chamonix, boarding in Chamonix is epic.
    If you're going on your own then I'd suggest a hostel, easier to meet people that way and keeps the cost down.
    I'd be interested in joining a group too, not too many boarders where I'm from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cooper82

hey Smutty, good link there. I've no experience of resorts so I'm open to locations. I was looking at booking through Action outdoors in the UK and doing a UCPA hol in France as thought prices are good and it'd be a good way to meet people: http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/.
    I've heard Austria is great for resorts, would like fairly lively apres ski too.

Maybe its time to start that new thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ourfi

Done the solo boarding thing also. Once I caught the boardie bug I just had to go even as a billy no mates. U can do it cheaply. Grand on the hill but its nice 2 have people about in the evening, especially if they speak the same language. Defo interested in xmas trip. Was 1/2 planning Austria for then. Snow times ahead.....

Hey Ourfi,

Come over to this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056033934 if your looking to come boarding. We are trying to look for ideas. Any suggestions would be great, and all of us looking to go!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Check out the forum at pistepals.com - there are always people putting groups together there and you can usually find a nice gang.

The owner of the site also runs solo trips throughout the year so get in touch with her - there'll definitely be a trip around when you want to go.

any updates on plans over New Years? Anyone still keen?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

hey, just posted on another thread with a link here :) have'nt been sking in a while. finally have a bit of money again and i want to head off sking after xmas 26/27/ or 28 dec and 1 maybe 2 of my friends are gonna come. would like to hook up with a few others for d craic and the more the merrier.we want to have a laugh enjoy the holiday and all the rest so it'd be great to get another group together. keep me posted on where ye are going .

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

newbie here

I had planned on going from 26th dec until 31st at least, but my mates pulled out. Losing a job, some excuse!!!! anyway i'm still mad to go. aerlingus are flying to salzburg for about 180 return on the dates above and there are 100 plus resorts within a hours bus journey of sburg. i'v been to austria a lot, like the buzz there, but would go anywhere with good snow. need to go on the piste over christmas.

I've added a poll to the other thread where we are trying to see about getting a group of boardsies together:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056033934

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

did you guys decide on a time location. That aerlingus flight has promise.

did you guys decide on a time location. That aerlingus flight has promise.

Cast your vote here for potential time for a trip and if your interested. Then once we see who's interested we can start to figure something out hopefully...

Advertisement