Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trout on Soft Plastics

Options
  • 14-09-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had any success catching trout - particularly average size wild browns (not ferox) - on soft plastics? If so which lures?

Just curious as I'm thinking of experimenting and trying out various different soft plastic lures myself.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I've been using them.
    What do you want to know - which to buy? Look at the forage fish in your water and work from there.
    Lunker City Fin-S range work for me if that's a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

coolwings wrote: »
    I've been using them.
    What do you want to know - which to buy? Look at the forage fish in your water and work from there.

Thanks coolwings... I'm mainly looking to experiement, with as well as forage fish imitations things like curly tail grubs.

Just interesting to see what works or doesn't, but glad to know what has worked for others.

Perch love wiggly tail grubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Perch love wiggly tail grubs.

perch will take anything that moves, i don't think there is a bait they wont take.

I've been using them.

hey coolwings i looked up those yokes on google and what came up was yokes that are 4 inches long are they not a bit big for trout?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Fuck Perch

Rycn wrote: »
    Fuck Perch

oh thats not very nice now is it......poor old mr perch.............he be very upset now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

lol

Yeah I can imagine perch readily taking the curly tale grubs, that may be a problem I'll have to get around. Hitting into a shoal of those greedy feckers is a pain when they aren't the target.

snow ghost wrote: »
    lol

Yeah I can imagine perch readily taking the curly tale grubs, that may be a problem I'll have to get around. Hitting into a shoal of those greedy feckers is a pain when they aren't the target.

ah stop they are a pain in the bum.......even when fly fishing buzzers or nymphs if you are fishing 3 or 4 flies you can hook as many perch as the same number of flies on your cast all at once.....i am interested in these soft baits...will trout take those things 4 inches long?

hey coolwings i looked up those yokes on google and what came up was yokes that are 4 inches long are they not a bit big for trout?

Heh heh :)
    Depends. A fellow I know has a brown trout that eats 5-8lb trout for dinner no difficulty - it's 38lbs and still growing!

• Advertisement

Heh heh :)
    Depends. A fellow I know has a brown trout that eats 5-8lb trout for dinner no difficulty - it's 38lbs and still growing!

hey now tell me, 38lbs!! is that a pet ferox or a brown trout or maybe a new species to have a debate about.......... Crocodile-troutous.......................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Brown trout. He breeds selectively for growth and disease resistance, so with selective breeding the evolution process is rather faster in his ponds.
    Disease, especially whirling disease is a big problem in the waters where he lives, and he hopes to produce whirling disease resistant rainbows for sale to the water management authorities. But he has a soft spot for big browns.

Here's some (wild fish) he caught on the rod with mouth measurements possible from the photos:
    185791_502960.jpg

771790_595551.jpg
    Those fish are capable of eating food 3" wide, now what length would that equate to?

Photos are scans of snapshots so quality is affected but you get the idea of mouth size.

very interesting stuff.....caught on the rod....they look like funny trout....the bottom one looks spent.....the top one looks like a salmon/trout hybrid....is that one really a wild trout? what country are they from?

Gigantic US Mid-west high altitude desert reservoirs in Idaho, Colorado, Utah and Nevada, and Alaska.

i did not think they were from this part of the world.

Advertisement