Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android dev phone

Options
  • 14-09-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if any of the Androd devs out there have either of the dev phones currently available: Dev Phone 2 or Nexus One?

If so, where did you get them from? The don't seem to ship to Ireland..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Haven't got a nexus one or an ADP2 myself, Im using the HTC desire at the moment.

Not to sure if you'll be able to get your hands on a ADP2 (HTC Magic) anymore, but I seen a few nexus one's for sale on eXpansys.ie and ebay.ie that will ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I got the ADP1 shipped to a friend in the US, and he sent it on to me. I had to pay VAT on import (as expected).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Hi.
    Am I missing something here? I just spent the evening installing sdks and ndks and the rest of it. Please dont hhtell me I cant run my own program on the phone I just bought.

Is there a dev phone?

Currently rockin the samsung galaxy...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No you can develop and test on any phone.

We got Nexus One's free at WMC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

draffodx wrote: »
    No you can develop and test on any phone.

We got Nexus One's free at WMC :)

Would I be right in saying that you'd only be able to develop/test for the version of Android that's on the phone? If you buy a retail version with say 1.6, you wouldn't be able to test a 2.2 app on the phone.

With the dev phone, it's totally unlocked so you'd be able to load whatever version of Android on to the device..

That's the assumption I've been working on and why I'm looking for a dev phone. If I don't need to then I'd gladly pop down to the phone shop and pick up something cheap and cheerful off the shelf..

• Advertisement

Would I be right in saying that you'd only be able to develop/test for the version of Android that's on the phone? If you buy a retail version with say 1.6, you wouldn't be able to test a 2.2 app on the phone.

With the dev phone, it's totally unlocked so you'd be able to load whatever version of Android on to the device..

That's the assumption I've been working on and why I'm looking for a dev phone. If I don't need to then I'd gladly pop down to the phone shop and pick up something cheap and cheerful off the shelf..

Nope the dev phone is locked to whatever version is available to it as well.

So the Dev1 phone I have is limited to testing 1.6 only.

I currently have the Dev1 for 1.6, Htc Hero for 2.1update-1 and Nexus One for 2.2.

I'd recommend getting a device with 2.2 on it and developing for that while building in backwards compatibility if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

Nope the dev phone is locked to whatever version is available to it as well.

So the Dev1 phone I have is limited to testing 1.6 only.

I currently have the Dev1 for 1.6, Htc Hero for 2.1update-1 and Nexus One for 2.2.

I'd recommend getting a device with 2.2 on it and developing for that while building in backwards compatibility if you wish.

Thanks. That's exactly what I need to know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

So what's to stop you from upgrading the Android Version on the Phone? Don't tell me you can't!!! :eek:

You mean you can't update the Android version on yer phone? 'com-on! No way...

studiorat wrote: »
    So what's to stop you from upgrading the Android Version on the Phone? Don't tell me you can't!!! :eek:

You mean you can't update the Android version on yer phone? 'com-on! No way...

Not if its not available for that device, for example the G1 doesn't meet the requirements to run 2.1update-1 or 2.2.

So 1.6 is the latest version available to it.

You can of course root and put a diiferent ROM on the device though if one is available for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Just finished the iPhone app
    Now looking at developing an android app.

If i were to buy one device for testing and doing demos, what should I get?
    Samsung Galaxy S ok? It says it runs android disguised by Samsungs TouchWiz. Is this an issue?
    Or once you open an app on an android device, it looks the same on them all?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Looks the same on them all.

Cheers, so its just the "springboard" and screen sizes thats different right?
    Does the one app run on all screen sizes? Or do you have to code for different android devices?
    Recommend a device?

Nope one size does not fit all, you have to implement different resources for different screen sizes.

Its mostly just an overlay that device manufacturers put on the device and a few of their own widgets and apps.

I'd reccomend a Desire for the must up to date version of Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd reccomend a Desire for the must up to date version of Android.

The other useful aspect of using a desire is that the development community come out with custom updated roms very rapidly so you would be able to get newer updates to test with.

Thanks for the info.
    Cant get a Desire off VF, no stock.
    Might hold off for the Desire HD

Advertisement