Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag-list for internal insulation?

Options
  • 14-09-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hi boffins. ;)

I am currently getting the inside of my 1950s house insulated, 3 inches of polyurethane all over (except stairs). Been reading up where possible about what to look out for, but any tips of basic things regarding the quality of the work/finish? I am watching out for obvious stuff like replacement of sockets, working around alarm wires and other cables...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd look out for the following -
    Finish & detailing around external opes - windows & door.
    Grounds (timber battens) for curtain poles or kitchen wall units?
    Quality of skim coat plaster finish, especially at joint with existing ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Thanks RKQ - thankfully no kitchen work, but the timber battens - would a carpenter do this as part of the finishing touches, with the window boards and skirting?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Dickerty wrote: »
    the timber battens - would a carpenter do this as part of the finishing touches, with the window boards and skirting?

No. The timber battens are placed on the wall prior to insulating.
    They are called "grounds" because they give a ground or solid fixing behind the insulation for wall units, radiators, wall lights, shelves or curtain poles which willl be fixed to an insulated (external) wall.

The grounds will "technically" create a cold bridge, even if timber has some insulating properties. But timber grounds give a great solid fixing. So IMO the jury may be out as to the best way to fix heavy objects to a drylined wall - dabs or mechanically fixed insulated slab.

Understood. I am pretty sure they did not fix anything to the walls in advance. So will have to look at the best way to re-hang the curtain-poles, that is the only thing that need to be fixed.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If the curtains are light enough, decent fibre plug fixings will be enough.

Remember to consider the weight of the curtains to be hung also, both now and in the future.

• Advertisement

Thanks - they are actually arranging special long screws to re-hang them, so they'd better do it right!

Advertisement