Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foroige

Options
  • 13-09-2010 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm trying to find out more about Foroige youth org.. Is it just young teenagers (12-15) that go? Or is there something for older teenagers? Is there anyone who has been that can tell me more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

easytalker wrote: »
    I'm trying to find out more about Foroige youth org.. Is it just young teenagers (12-15) that go? Or is there something for older teenagers? Is there anyone who has been that can tell me more?

I'm sure older teenagers could volunteer with them? I did a bit of that when I was 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Depends on your age. Teenagers over the age of 18 can volunteer once they have Garda Clearance.

Foroige Youth Clubs are designed for youths between the ages of 12 (in 1st Year) up to 17. Most have members between 12-15 simply because the older teenagers aren't that interested and are caught up in Junior Cert/Leaving Cert years. I know the Youth Service in Balbriggan has some older teenagers using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 easytalker

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I'm sure older teenagers could volunteer with them? I did a bit of that when I was 18.

Did you volunteer with Foroige? What was it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 easytalker

Eoineo wrote: »
    Depends on your age. Teenagers over the age of 18 can volunteer once they have Garda Clearance.

Foroige Youth Clubs are designed for youths between the ages of 12 (in 1st Year) up to 17. Most have members between 12-15 simply because the older teenagers aren't that interested and are caught up in Junior Cert/Leaving Cert years. I know the Youth Service in Balbriggan has some older teenagers using it.

Thanks!

Sorry I should have said I'm a Foroige volunteer myself (not in Malahide)! I'm definitely not a teenager but I think it's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

easytalker wrote: »
    Did you volunteer with Foroige? What was it like?

Yes I did and I loved it. Loads of trips away and the kids were brilliant. I had a blast doing it, made some great friends with the other volunteers who I'm still friends with 10 years later. That was in Cork though but Foroige is a great organisation. Definitely worth looking in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

My son has joined the one in Rush and it is excellent. Great bunch of teenagers. The leaders, who I know are superb. They put huge time into the club and from what I witnessed it is one of the most positive developments in Rush in a while.

I dont help with the club as I am involved elsewhere in 2 other clubs but organised some sponsorship for them. I have been very impressed with their organisation. If you do have some spare time go along and offer to do a leaders course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from the Meeting New People thread.

HB

Speaking of Foroige; if anybody is interested in volunteering in the Balbriggan Area please drop me a pm. There is a club that meets Wednesday evenings in Balbriggan North that are always looking for volunteers. There are a couple of DCN boardsies helping out already so it's a good way of meeting up. ;)

The club has 2 sessions, 1 for 10-12 year olds & 1 for 1st Years upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 CommInfo

I have contact details for the Regional Youth Officer for the North County if anyone is looking for a young person to join or if they wish to volunteer. There's a lot of information on their website www.foroige.ie

• Advertisement

FYI he is already a boardsie so that's nice too. ;)

Advertisement