Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Extension @ back of house in North Wicklow - €250/sq ft?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking at extending at the back of the house. I got a first quote (small local builder with good recommendation) which includes basic finish, ready to paint. Solid doors, and what I think is plenty of light switches & sockets specified. There is a new sliding door (2700mm), specified in PVC. It also requires an RSJ across the width of the house - 5.6 metres. It works out at around €250/sq ft which seems very high to me based on searching threads on the forum.

Can anyone advise if small extensions (the additional floor area here is only 12.33 metres) are higher cost per square foot. If you can give any advice or recommendations based on recent experience in the North Wicklow area I would be grateful - PM if necessary.

Is it worth employing an architect for a small extension like this ? I've been quoted €950 for an architect that works in conjunction with an established building firm, they will refund the fee if project goes ahead.

regards & thanks,
    Aidan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Get at least 5 other quotes. Even if you've got the most awkward access going and that steel needs to be craned in, €250 ft2 is very, very expensive.

Ask all builders for a a detailed breakdown to see where the money is going.

For such a small job I think you should get a QS to give you a detailed Bill of Quantities. Hand that to small local builder and watch his reaction.

Imo you should expect to pay approx 85 to 140 ft2.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

In general extensions are more expensive than new build per unit of floor area. This is generally due to 'hidden' works like forming new opes, tying in walls, roof, services, and rectifying issues with the existing building. However, that price per square foot does seem excessive given the current climate. As has been said you should secure some additional quotes. Be sure that each contractor is pricing like for like.

It would be worth your while having an experienced building professional look at the plans and give you some advice - looking at some of the dimensions on your plan you're going to have difficulty achieving your external wall build up and maintaining the room sizes you have shown.

Not sure about the QS whelzer - an arch tech or architect might give better all round value for money on this one. I would however go for a 'neutral' consultant though rather than someone who works with your builder, and also ensure s/he has Professional Indemnity Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,866 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It works out at around €250/sq ft
    Whoever give you that price should be locked in a room with Brian Cowan & John Gormley for at least 3 hours as punishment.

Depending where you are located I would expect the cost to work out at approx. half of the stated figure give or take €20/ft2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Supertech wrote: »
    In general extensions are more expensive than new build per unit of floor area. This is generally due to 'hidden' works like forming new opes, tying in walls, roof, services, and rectifying issues with the existing building.

Agree 100%. IMO The cost/sqft is better suited to new build houses.

I note you show a new stove with new flue - it seems to be in the existing part of the house, so there will be a lot of cutting & making good building a new chimney.

I note there are a lot of new light fittings in the existing and you propose "proably 4 large velux" to the roof. These will add to you costs and might be making your costs look big. Remember in extensions you must allow certain costs for making good etc. These costs might be exaggerating you cost /sqft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

You are talking about a cost of approximately 33,000 for the works, which is quiet a lot if you were to build an extension of 132 sq. f approx in isolation. However the proposal is to incorporate the extension into the existing and with it brings a considerable amount of demolition/alteration; this is the expensive slow work and adds to the cost as others have highlighted. The spec is fairly open for interpretation in that you have asked for 4 "large" velux windows: depending on interpretation of size and spec these could cost anything from 1500 to 3200.

Looking at the floor plan I am guessing that it the house is within a development. Access to the rear of the house, could be restricted, which would further not help cost.

I would recommend that you engage an arch tech or other suitably qualified and insured person to prepare tender documentation so that you can tie down the an accurate price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aidancoughlan

Folks, thanks for all the responses below: Sounds like cost/sqft figures can be a bit all over the place for extensions, only way to know is to get a few quotes in I guess. It seems like it will be worthwhile to have proper plans drawn for comparing like with like. Many thanks for suggestions !
    Aidan.

"...Get at least 5 other quotes...."
    "...Ask all builders for a a detailed breakdown to see where the money is
    going...."

"...For such a small job I think you should get a QS to give you a detailed Bill of Quantities. ..." .."...Not sure about the QS whelzer - an arch tech or architect might give better all round value for money on this one...."
    "...go for a 'neutral' consultant though rather than someone who works with your builder, and also ensure s/he has Professional Indemnity Insurance...."
    "...I would recommend that you engage an arch tech or other suitably qualified and insured person to prepare tender documentation so that you can tie down the an accurate price...."

"...Imo you should expect to pay approx 85 to 140 ft2...."
    "...I would expect the cost to work out at approx. half of the stated figure (ie. 250/sqft) give or take €20/ft2..."
    2...In general extensions are more expensive than new build per unit of floor area. This is generally due to 'hidden' works like forming new opes, tying in walls, roof, services, and rectifying issues with the existing building.." "...These costs might be exaggerating you cost /sqft...."
    "... IMO The cost/sqft is better suited to new build houses...."
    "...the proposal is to incorporate the extension into the existing and with it brings a considerable amount of demolition/alteration; this is the expensive slow work and adds to the cost as others have highlighted..."

Advertisement