Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Registering - Bring passport/birth cert

Options
  • 13-09-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My daughter is registering in UCC this week. Both herself and quite a few others have been badly caught because they did not realise that they needed a birth cert or passport as proof of ID when they are registering.

The information regarding the birth cert/passport was not in the letters received but in the middle of the "information book" they got.

So, for those of you yet to register, try and get hold of same before you do.

If you are not from Cork, like my daughter, you can still get your birth certificate by going to the Cork Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths in Adelaide Court in Adelaide Street in Cork. This is open from 9.00am to 4.30pm, Monday to Wednesday, 9.00am to 7.00pm on Thursday and 9.00am to 3.30 on Friday. Their telephone number is 021 4275126

When my daughter obtained a birth cert at home a few weeks ago for her Age Identity Card she was not asked for any other ID so I'm assuming she will be OK tomorrow but she will bring her Age ID Card and other ID with her.

Hope this helps someone.

P.S. Note to anyone from Admin in UCC reading this - students are notorious for not reading stuff. It might be an idea to put this in one of the letters they get rather than assuming they will manage to read and absorb everything in the information books ;)

Thanks,

Concerned Irish Mammy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

Thanks Bicycle,
    I was about to head in tomorrow without either of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I have registration with a good feew friends tomorrow and none of them knew they needed their birth cert. Half of them didn't believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

Bicycle wrote: »
    Hi folks,

My daughter is registering in UCC this week. Both herself and quite a few others have been badly caught because they did not realise that they needed a birth cert or passport as proof of ID when they are registering.

The information regarding the birth cert/passport was not in the letters received but in the middle of the "information book" they got.

So, for those of you yet to register, try and get hold of same before you do.

If you are not from Cork, like my daughter, you can still get your birth certificate by going to the Cork Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths in Adelaide Court in Adelaide Street in Cork. This is open from 9.00am to 4.30pm, Monday to Wednesday, 9.00am to 7.00pm on Thursday and 9.00am to 3.30 on Friday. Their telephone number is 021 4275126

When my daughter obtained a birth cert at home a few weeks ago for her Age Identity Card she was not asked for any other ID so I'm assuming she will be OK tomorrow but she will bring her Age ID Card and other ID with her.

Hope this helps someone.

P.S. Note to anyone from Admin in UCC reading this - students are notorious for not reading stuff. It might be an idea to put this in one of the letters they get rather than assuming they will manage to read and absorb everything in the information books ;)

Thanks,

Concerned Irish Mammy.

i think as a college student your daughter should take the responsibility for not reading the information provided, don't blame ucc for where they wrote the information! ucc supplied the information and gave evryone plenty of time to get their passports/birthcerts and that's all they can do, it's your daughters own fault if she did not take the time to read all the information provided:rolleyes: i was shocked at the amount of people who didn't bring a form of id to register on my orientation day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Did you fill out your Daughters CAO Form and pack her bags for her as well Irish Mammy?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I like Pie and Invincible, take a chill pill.

If Baby Bicycle had been alone in missing the birth certificate then Baby Bicycle would have got an earful.

However, Baby Bicycle had not actually registered when she learned about the need for a Birth Cert. She actually learned about it from quite a few others who had managed to miss the documentation as well.

I made contact with another parent of a 1st year last night who didn't know about the situation either.

I produce information as part of my job. If one or a small number of my end-users don't locate all the information then its a consumer problem. If large numbers of end-users don't locate all the information then its a producer problem.

At the end of the day, if large numbers of prospective students are missing birth certs for registration it becomes the problem for UCC because of the increased administration time - all of those students will need to spend time with administration staff. Key information needs to be visible. Needing a birth cert appears to be a key piece of information.

The University of Limerick have a check-list for students. For the few minutes it would take someone to produce same and for the few extra cents it would take to include it in the information pack, far more time and energy by multiple users (including UCC) would be saved at the other end of the process.

• Advertisement

If Baby Bicycle had been alone in missing the birth certificate then Baby Bicycle would have got an earful.

However, Baby Bicycle had not actually registered when she learned about the need for a Birth Cert. She actually learned about it from quite a few others who had managed to miss the documentation as well.

I made contact with another parent of a 1st year last night who didn't know about the situation either.

I produce propaganda as part of my job. If one or a small number of my end-users don't locate all the information then its a consumer problem. If large numbers of end-users don't locate all the information then its a producer problem.

At the end of the day, if large numbers of prospective students are missing birth certs for registration it becomes the problem for UCC because of the increased administration time - all of those students will need to spend time with administration staff. Key information needs to be visible. Needing a birth cert appears to be a key piece of information.

The University of Limerick have a check-list for students. For the few minutes it would take someone to produce same and for the few extra cents it would take to include it in the information pack, far more time and energy by multiple users (including UCC) would be saved at the other end of the process.

All well and good but c'mon, have a bit of cop on would you? i've never heard of this being a problem with UCC registration. Why? because people read the registration literature sent to them and follow the instructions given, if your daughter can't be arsed to read the info pack whic the college sent to her (or gets you to sort everything out for her) do you really think she'll be able to master such complex tasks like registering for modules, using the UCC Library or...gulp...signing up for tutorials all on her ownsome?.

It's your daughters problem for not reading what was requested to be read by the college, don't try and stick it on UCC admin.

I produce information as part of my job. If one or a small number of my end-users don't locate all the information then its a consumer problem. If large numbers of end-users don't locate all the information then its a producer problem.

it was well laid out by ucc so don't blame them! i'm a first year student and i managed to have everything i needed to register without my mammy breathing down my neck:rolleyes: ucc had a list of all the things needed to register, it wasn't that hard to find. maybe instead of blaming ucc you should teach your daughter how important it is to read everything that someone bothers to send them in the post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

i like pie wrote: »
    it was well laid out by ucc so don't blame them! i'm a first year student and i managed to have everything i needed to register without my mammy breathing down my neck:rolleyes: ucc had a list of all the things needed to register, it wasn't that hard to find. maybe instead of blaming ucc you should teach your daughter how important it is to read everything that someone bothers to send them in the post!!

Thats because you have no mother, none that are laying claim to you anyway. You're a mature student so you don't qualify for the "Bestest UCC Fresher" medal I'm afraid

If someone chooses to share information that 90% of students will miss, not special ones of course, so be it.

Thats because you have no mother, none that are laying claim to you anyway. You're a mature student so you don't qualify for the "Bestest UCC Fresher" medal I'm afraid

If someone chooses to share information that 90% of students will miss, not special ones of course, so be it.

what are you talking about?? when did i ever mention that i'm a mature student? i'm 18 years old:p get your facts right please before you make crazy statements!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Jesus - someone sets up a thread to try and be of genuine help to incoming students and they immediately get hit with the burning torches and pitchforks. The Internet never fails to surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 myImage

Wow- why are people so bitchy? A lady comes on with a genuine wish to help some others out and gets slammed by some begrudges. Well done to you all for reading the info from cover to cover but don’t be so childish and mean because somebody missed something. I am a mature student heading into first arts and I missed the birthcert bit having read all the literature. It happens.
    Thanks for the tip Bicycle, it is appreciated.

Jesus - someone sets up a thread to try and be of genuine help to incoming students and they immediately get hit with the burning torches and pitchforks. The Internet never fails to surprise.
    myImage wrote: »
    Wow- why are people so bitchy? A lady comes on with a genuine wish to help some others out and gets slammed by some begrudges. Well done to you all for reading the info from cover to cover but don’t be so childish and mean because somebody missed something. I am a mature student heading into first arts and I missed the birthcert bit having read all the literature. It happens.
    Thanks for the tip Bicycle, it is appreciated.

Yawn! spare me the whinging and moaning about how awful "begrudges" we are. The OP came on here wishing to deflect blame away from her kid whom she freely admitted didn't bother reading the UCC registration literature and then started moaning about how terrible UCC admin must be.

i'd wager the vast, vast majority of students - the "notorious" ones who supposedly never read anything - managed to complete their registration without any hiccups or hold ups. The problem is at the OPs end, not UCCs.

The OP came on here wishing to deflect blame away from her kid.

Erm, no she didn't actually. She came on here to offer some free advise to those who might otherwise have fallen into the same trap that her daughter did.

Erm, no she didn't actually. She came on here to offer some free advise to those who might otherwise have fallen into the same trap that her daughter did.

Ok she came on here to offer free, if rather obvious, advice and have a whinge, mission accomplished on her behalf. As i mentioned already if either her or her daughter had taken the time to read the required literature, something most seem perfectly able to do, then i'm at a loss as to why it's UCC admins fault for her daughters mistake.

Ok she came on here to offer free, if rather obvious, advice

Given that her daughter and many others have not brought their identification to registration, the advise is anything but obvious. (A consultation of the dictionary for the word "obvious" will confirm this, by the way.)
    ...have a whinge...

There's only two people whinging here. i like pie is one of them. You're the other.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it at that. I'm not going to spoil my good reputation here.

Given that her daughter and many others have not brought their identification to registration, the advise is anything but obvious. (A consultation of the dictionary for the word "obvious" will confirm this, by the way.)

There's only two people whinging here. i like pie is one of them. You're the other.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it at that. I'm not going to spoil my good reputation here.

Typical pseudo-intellectual blinkered nonsense from yourself, good riddance to you from this i thread i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Ok she came on here to offer free, if rather obvious, advice and have a whinge, mission accomplished on her behalf. As i mentioned already if either her or her daughter had taken the time to read the required literature, something most seem perfectly able to do, then i'm at a loss as to why it's UCC admins fault for her daughters mistake.

Seeing as you are neither a student nor an employee of UCC I fail to see why it would bother you.

Are there similarities to your own public sector job that are irratating you or is going from forum to forum acting as angry forum police your thing?

Seeing as you are neither a student nor an employee of UCC I fail to see why it would bother you.

Are there similarities to your own public sector job that are irratating you or is going from forum to forum acting as angry forum police your thing?

Hohoho, i think you've confused me for someone else sunshine. Run along now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Typical pseudo-intellectual blinkered nonsense from yourself, good riddance to you from this i thread i say.

Leave any personal squabbles out of this thread.

The OP came on here to offer some advice and it seems like some in the thread did benefit from that advice. There's no need for people to jump down her throat or anything.

So quit the bitching and petty squabbling or I'll just lock this thread.

Leave any personal squabbles out of this thread.

The OP came on here to offer some advice and it seems like some in the thread did benefit from that advice. There's no need for people to jump down her throat or anything.

So quit the bitching and petty squabbling or I'll just lock this thread.

Hey there's no squabbling here. <snip>

• Advertisement

Hey there's no squabbling here. <snip>

I've deleted those comments you made. There's a very simple rule that applies on all forums on boards:
    Attack the post, not the poster.
    ^ If you can't follow that rule, then don't bother posting here.

Any more personal digs/insulting remarks towards other posters will result in infractions and/or bans. And that goes for everyone.

This thread is to stay on-topic from now on, or else it'll just be locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I'm sorry now but who gives any of ye the right to attack her? Many upon many of us forgot documentation today and no it wasn't put down by UCC anywhere that it was necessary. I checked everything like 6 times before I left home, saw it nowhere. Thanks for the attack on my mom btw and blaming me :) There are some lovely people on here :) you wanna say that to my roomates as well? Cos everyone upon everyone forgot a passport or birth cert :) until word got round and people managed to sort it :) Just cos you brought everything doesnt mean you have to attack someone. Grow up please.

and I did have ID. Its called an age card ;) my roomies had drivers licences ;) Not accepted so attack me, you may as well go after half of UCC first year as well!

Many upon many of us forgot documentation today and no it wasn't put down by UCC anywhere that it was necessary. I checked everything like 6 times before I left home, saw it nowhere.

but ucc did say it so don't blame ucc! it was in the first information booklet everyone got once they had been offered a place in ucc:confused: it said we needed our birthcert and passport!

I'm sorry now but who gives any of ye the right to attack her? Many upon many of us forgot documentation today and no it wasn't put down by UCC anywhere that it was necessary. I checked everything like 6 times before I left home, saw it nowhere. Thanks for the attack on my mom btw and blaming me :) There are some lovely people on here :) you wanna say that to my roomates as well? Cos everyone upon everyone forgot a passport or birth cert :) until word got round and people managed to sort it :) Just cos you brought everything doesnt mean you have to attack someone. Grow up please.

and I did have ID. Its called an age card ;) my roomies had drivers licences ;) Not accepted so attack me, you may as well go after half of UCC first year as well!

The only attacking done here was by your Mother trying to pin the blame on UCC admin for your failure to have the relevant documents requested by the college on the day of registration. Clearly only a tiny minority have had difficulty complying with the college's not unreasonable request to read the registration literature.

Everyone makes mistakes but your ol' lade going off on one about how terrible UCC admin are when clearly it was your own failure to consult the registration pack. Speaking of which did you read the registration booklet supplied? your mum insinuates you didn't, you say you did, who's telling fibs here?.

And this is a webforum not a text message do we really need half a dozen smilies? it's like pacman ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

So do we need a passport or a birth cert, or passport and birth cert?!

cork*girl wrote: »
    So do we need a passport or a birth cert, or passport and birth cert?!

i brought both but they only asked for one of them, i gave my passport but others did give their birth cert:) so you should be ok with only one if you don't have your birthcert!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Folks,

This thing has got out of hand.

As so kindly noted by a number of individuals, my original post was to help people. To let people know something that quite a few people had not managed to ascertain from literature provided by the education course provider.

Not alone did I post here but I contacted other parents of first years in UCC that I knew. And none of them knew either about the birth cert requirement.

OK, so in that regard, I DID help some people both here and in another arena.

Mission Accomplished.

For those of you that did manage to ascertain the information and didn't have issues. Congratulations. I hope that you continue through your education managing to absorb everything from the books and the notes etc.

For everyone involved, good luck with your studies. I hope you all manage to exit UCC in a few years time with excellent degrees and higher under your belts.

And now to what appears to be the most contentious issue of my posting - my RECOMMENDATIONS to UCC. And this is what they were. Recommendations.

Most of you first years won't have read journal articles. And the prospect of writing a thesis or journal article is pretty far in the future.

But if you do take a look at same, you will find a piece at the end where the author does a critique of the work and makes recommendations for future work.

And this was the vein in which I posted.

Education is all about learning. And if limitations aren't highlighted, progress can't be made. I am always delighted to be made aware of the limitations of my own work as it means I can improve on it. I can learn from the way I presented information and make it better the next time.

Finally, can I thank I Heart Chemistry for standing up for me!! She did pack ALL (1,955 :D) of her bags :p, she did do her own CAO form (and we had some interesting discussions as a result):). Thanks Hon and good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

Im going for registration tomorrow. The BANK GIRO arrived at my house this morning. Do I only need to bring passport and the sheet that showed my online registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

For the love of God, someone close this thread.

• Advertisement

For the love of God, someone close this thread.

Was gonna leave it open in case anyone else had registration questions.

Advertisement