Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs and societies

Options
  • 13-09-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Was wondering what clubs and socs people are part of and what are the best ones in your opinions?

I am in third year and still havent joined a thing..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Join whatever you are interested in because depending on your timetable you may not get to all the ones you want.
    The outdoor adventure club do quite alot of stuff, weekends, evenings and a few trips away. they were well organised last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

I've been in the outdoor adventure club (it's called the Adventure Soc) for the last 3 years and it's pretty good. Mainly go kayaking at least once every 2 weeks. There's loads of boats stored in the college if anyones interested in going along. Surfing is done as well but only when the trips are on. Usually two trips a year. One in october and one in february. There's also rock climbing as well which usually involves going out to UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Does anyone know when the signup day is for societies?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SeanieRawks

Tue 21st, Wed 22nd & Thurs 23rd Sept 10am to 3pm

or so the college facebook says!

Hoping to get involved with a few societies this year as I haven't done enough in my past 2 years!

Planning to try and get an LGBT society set up if theres enough interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hoping to get involved with a few societies this year as I haven't done enough in my past 2 years!

Their usually isnt enough people that come forward to set up an lgbt soc. I suggest you contact usi's lgbt officer and im sure she will help you as much as she can. I think she is from the tallaght ballyfermot area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

I thought they had one..
    Did they not have a stand last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SeanieRawks

No stand last year as far as I recall, but there was an attempt to make one, although it didn't really take off, year before that there was a stand but only 3 people showed up to the first meeting and it quickly got cancelled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Wasn't there some kind of german/austrian cultural society thing last year< I was hoping it would be going again, help with my german practice?? gain an insight into what they think of the Irish and their own opinions outlook?

I'll ask about but if anyone knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Merch wrote: »
    Wasn't there some kind of german/austrian cultural society thing last year< I was hoping it would be going again, help with my german practice?? gain an insight into what they think of the Irish and their own opinions outlook?

Pretty sure that is the erasmus soc. One of the most active in the college. They go on trips all around ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Yeah they were super organised and had trips everywhere, If I didn't work weekends I would have definitely joined them on some of them. The erasmus are great craic altogether and definitely worth getting to know for their awesome parties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 pluie

Merch wrote: »

That's the International Culture Society. I joined last year [and again today!] and met some really nice people from different countries. I was on the committee and the society went to places like Cork, Kerry, Galway etc. We had a number of international movie nights and bake sales to raise money for the society. I think there was an international dinner night held in the college where each person brought a meal from their home country. It's very active and really enjoyable. :)

I ended up joining the photography society..
    The only thing I have any interest in really.
    Was close to joining the radio soc, but just didnt bother..
    Doing radio production this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

does anyone know if there is a darts club? I heard there is one but didn't see a stall for it..

mackeire wrote: »
    does anyone know if there is a darts club? I heard there is one but didn't see a stall for it..
    There was last year anyway.
    Look up the website and there should be a list of clubs and socs.
    And contact numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

There was last year anyway.
    Look up the website and there should be a list of clubs and socs.
    And contact numbers.
    will do, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Signed up to 6 clubs! but can only do things Mon-Wed so ill see what slots they get

Joined Photography and Adventure club. I think they'll be more flexible anyways

Is Radio soc for anyone, or aimed at radio students? Interested in it, but didnt sign up

Can you still sign up now, or do I hafta wait til the next signup event? Is there limits to the amount of people in a club/Soc?

cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

You can join a society at any time, just get in contact and pay your 3euro. Simple. Clubs/Socs can have as many members as they'd like - there's never a problem of "too many" :P

Anyone heard anything back from the photography soc?

We'll be organizing something this week, don't worry. Text will be sent out soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Misa-san wrote: »
    We'll be organizing something this week, don't worry. Text will be sent out soon enough
    yay!

• Advertisement

Photography Society AGM will be Monday at 1.30 Room TBC.

Bring along your ideas, outstanding membership fees or just come along to hear us talk. We'll elect a committee, find out what people will be interested in doing this year and plan out the year ahead.

If you know of anyone who wanted to join but didn't get a chance to sign up, bring them along.

Advertisement