Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a problem with a Toshiba laptop after installing a new screen

Options
  • 13-09-2010 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hello all,

Hope that someone will be able to point me in the correct direction here, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Laptop Toshiba Satellite A200-260

I replaced the lcd screen as it was cracked, i recieved the screen from a supplier in the UK who was a wholesaler, new & the screen code matches the original.
    I installed the new screen - no problem. When i started up the laptop I could see the text on the screen very faintly, but it was working fine.
    If I plug the laptop into an external monitor through the VGA connector it works fine. The laptop is running vista, so it auto configured the ext. monitor.

So I looked around on the net and found reference to a high voltage inverter circuit (which is located remotely under the screen) I assumed that the circuit board may have been damaged by the screen being cracked. Apparently this type of Toshiba screen relies on a seperate flourescent lamp contained within the lcd to display the text correctly.

I recieved the replacement voltage inverter today, and it does not make any difference to the screen when I installed it...

I need advice on the following points/ this is where my thinking takes me..

Problems as a result on the following possibilities.

1 New LCD screen is faulty - i think unlikely
    2 Replacement voltage inverter faulty - also unlikely that both are faulty
    3 The new screen is working, but is not installed properly - have checked all the connections and they seem to be OK. The voltage inverter connects to two seperate cables at the bottom of the screen
    4 It is necessary to install the new screen to be 'seen' by the OS

Folks, and thats where I presently am... any input you may have will be greatly appreciated.
    Anyone with the correct solution gets a free snowboard/ski guide for a week over Christmas in the Austrian Alps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3nPRmuc0yg&feature=related
    p.s. I'm not Mark or Pedro!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

check you have cables going into invertor correct way its easy to put them in the wrong way

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

hi, it looks like fluorescent bulb is broken, the best way to check is pluggin another bulb into inverter or as said duckysauce check connection between bulb and inverter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

Tried that, they only fit in one way - but thanks for your help.

I'm starting to think that the screen may be faulty.

is your old screen bulb broken

have you any idea of the approximate voltage?
    I suppose I could plug a voltmeter into the inverter jack to see if there is an output?

• Advertisement

I'm an idiot, I threw it away 2 weeks ago, I've been waiting for the part since:(

well, small chance to use a voltmeter as they has high resistance so inverter wont start..the best is just plug another workin bulb, (even from broken lcd)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

sounds like the backlight of the screen is gone

2vd2lmo.gif

Advertisement