Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there musicals in Trinity?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

New student here....wondering if there are any musicals on during the year?
    there doesn't seem to be a musical society
    Tagged:

Comments

DU Players might cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Players have a 24 hour musical...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

there doesn't seem to be a musical society

Start one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 betweencentral

good idea! might be a bit ambitious for a first year, but who knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

If you start a musical society I'll join it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

For me it's one of the major pitfalls of the college. Players seem to be mostly involved in student-written plays. 24 hour musical/Co-op seem to be based more around pissing about and that rather than actually putting on a show.

Like others have said, set up a Musical Society and I'll be there!

Players just plain terrifies me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

They're a personal pet hate.

EDIT: Players not musicals that is.... Sorry!

Ha I thought I'd sound crazy and unreasonable if I said that Craguls but I agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 billyburg

trinity VDP hold a christmas panto
    close enough to a musical
    and they're auditioning during freshers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

VDP = Sound people, helping people. :)

DU Players = Pretentious twits, torturing the rest of us.:(

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Dang, I was half-thinking of dabbling in Players this year. Why such a bad reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

First of all, this isn't a jibe at Players - this applies to a lot of groups.

My take on cliqueyness...

Certain societies (and, indeed, courses) in Trinity tend to attract similarly-inclined people, for obvious reasons. More than usual for college societies and/or courses, that is. These people often become very close in one another's social circles very quickly. Soon they have an extensive shared history and acquaintanceship, in-jokes, parties to go to, and stories to tell.

Viewed from the outside, it can appear cliquey and exclusive. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't.

Sometimes they engage in group behaviour like belittling non-members. Sometimes it's just that they prefer the society of those with whom they have a lot in common.

Sometimes, if asked, they can be quite welcoming to new people. Sometimes they're very happy with things exactly as they are, thanks.

So, in other words, if you want to know whether a group is cliquey or not, look at its barriers to entry. If you really couldn't be part of the group without knowing an extensive circle of people and their histories, spending most of your time with them, and having a member "sponsor" you (ie introduce you around) ... it's a cliquey group. If it's just a large organicly-evolving group of people with a lot in common, then they're usually delighted to meet the similarly-inclined, introduce them to people they think they'll get on with, and so on. That's not a cliquey group.

Finally, generalising about "Players" or "BESS", or even "Biochemistry with Immunology" is dangerous - there are often subgroups within groups like these that are set up very differently.

Hopefully this will be of use in determining if a particular group is "cliquey" or not.

@Sir Ophiucus, I'm gonna guess your a psychology student? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

And if so, how long do you need to be doing Psychology before making such deductions?

In other words, when can I has ma awesome :D

Yep!

@JoeDull: About three years, apparently. But I've been in Trinity for five and experienced a lot of the clubs and societies. So it's really just experience. :)

@JoeDull: About three years, apparently. But I've been in Trinity for five and experienced a lot of the clubs and societies. So it's really just experience. :)

Living the dream, so :)

im bout to start psychology myself (and music)
    so really will be living the dream :)
    well once the musical society is up and running haha

• Advertisement

im bout to start psychology myself (and music)
    so really will be living the dream :)
    well once the musical society is up and running haha

Seriously dude? You must be the little bollix that pushed the points up to 570 ;)
    I was going for Psychology and Music too but only got 565 - ah sure pure Psychology will be the craic by itself anyway!

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Living the dream, so :)

*shudders* Don't get me started. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AND WELL

I'm far more interested in musicals than I am in drama itself.

I'd nearly join the Players though just for the 24 hour musical!

IF YOU SET ONE UP, I'M IN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

I thought I was the only one who bemoaned the lack of this society! Going purely on proportional representation within this thread alone, I'd say there's a fair bit of interest in one. Set it up! I'm first in the queue.

Advertisement