Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 1 - Computing First Years.

Options
  • 13-09-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

First off - what a mixed bunch of people! It was great to see a diverse collection of people, as it's always good to hear different opinions.

I thought it was a bit weird the way we where just left to our on devices, once the Introduction was over. I just wandered around, looking for the library, canteen, SU. Looked everywhere, but couldn't find the Bar! :rolleyes:

So, what Group did you get?

I'm in Group A. Late start on a Monday, half day on Friday, but Tue., Wed., & Thurs. is 9.30 - 5.30!

First class tomorrow, 9.30 - Intro. to OO Programming - WOOHOOOO, we get to program Secret Agents!
    / I could be wrong....

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MickCue

Im completely lost, missed the Computing Introduction don't no what group i'm in, dont have a timetable:confused: God knows where im going tomorrow morning??:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Arrived a tad late, but it was nice and short!
    In group b myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

MickCue wrote: »
    Im completely lost, missed the Computing Introduction don't no what group i'm in, dont have a timetable:confused: God knows where im going tomorrow morning??:(

Don't worry about it.
    You can meet up with Group A at 9.30am, room E1452 (go in the main door, head behind stairs in front of you, and turn right), and say you lost your timetable!

Failing that, why not email the Dept. Head, Thomas Dowling, and ask him for help? He did say he had an "Open Door" policy :)

thomas.dowling@lyit.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

"First class tomorrow, 9.30 - Intro. to OO Programming - WOOHOOOO, we get to program Secret Agents!
    / I could be wrong...." by mrmac

are you sure the first class is at 9.30 is it not at 11.30? i cant see the times on my timetable till it gets to 5.30 and by working back the first class is at 11.30, i thought it was starting at 9.30 aswell not sure what to do now

Depends on what Group you are in.
    I'm in Group A, and it's definitely a 9.30 start on Tuesdays.

• Advertisement

can you see the times on your timetable or did you find out of someone else? i have the same class as you in the same room aswell but im in group b

I can't make out the first two digits of the times, but I know the first block starts at 9am, and as Intro to OOP is in the second block, it must be 9.30.

Every Groups timetable is different, afaik.

Is 11.30 your first class tomorrow?

i dont know haha its either 9.30 which i thought at the start or 11.30 because when i got home i started to fill in the times and i worked back from the first one i could see properly and it was 5.30 which looks like when im finished too and if everyone of the blocks is a half hour first class is at 11.30 and first block is 11.00, would you look at your timetable to see if yours works out the same

Give me a minute, and I'll scan it.

Here's a PDF of the timetable for Group A.

BTW - I also checked my lyit email, thinking there may have been a copy sent to my inbox - but na/da, completely empty!

/sad

• Advertisement

yeah i tried that aswell, your timetable is different than mine apart from some classes. whats confusing me is the times i can see on my timetable maybe they got the times wrong on it because it goes to 8.00, its says that student development starts at 3.30 till 7.30 that couldnt be right is it?

7.30!

AH! Me thinks you are missing a crucial digit!

3.30 - 7.30 = 13.30 - 17.30

See how important a freakin' 1 is now, eh? lol!

There's just no way classes would be scheduled until 7.30!

mrmac wrote: »

There's just no way classes would be scheduled until 7.30!

I had a scare earlier on that I was in until then on thursday, nearly had a heart attack :p

Batistuta9, B is a half night start tomorrow morning. Then Maths from half 10 to half 12, ick!

yeah i think your right where it says 8.00 on mine should be 18.00, i thought it was saying 8 in the evening and mixed things up from there, good man for spotting that cause i dont think i would have

Batistuta9, B is a half night start tomorrow morning. Then Maths from half 10 to half 12, ick!

That's the same as group A. Room 1452 for OOP, followed by Maths, also in 1452.

We must be all in together then.

EDIT - actually not the same, just noticed my Maths only goes on until 11.30.

That's the same as group A. Room 1452 for OOP, followed by Maths, also in 1452.

We must be all in together then.

Any idea where Room 1452 is?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah i think your right where it says 8.00 on mine should be 18.00, i thought it was saying 8 in the evening and mixed things up from there, good man for spotting that cause i dont think i would have

You'd have looked sweet sitting there at 7.30pm.
    tbh - I've made a similar mistake once, not the time, but the wrong freakin' day!
    24 hours late!! :D

Any idea where Room 1452 is?

It's not too far from Room 1401, the one we were in today. It's in the block that's closer to the main door, and also on the ground floor. Have a look at one of the wall maps in that area.

You'd have looked sweet sitting there at 7.30pm.
    tbh - I've made a similar mistake once, not the time, but the wrong freakin' day!
    24 hours late!! :D

i would have done:) do you know if we need to bring anything with us tomorrow?

I'm just bringing a pen and a refill pad for the next few days, as I've no idea what's needed. I doubt we'll actually be doing a whole lot this week.

They'll let us know if we need to bring anything else, I guess!

I know we don't need to buy any books, as any course material that we need will be given to us as handouts, and the library has a load of computer related stuff. I was in there for awhile today, nice and quite, with a good few pc's/macs upstairs.

• Advertisement

that'll probably change tho when everyone else gets back i think a lot of them are back tomorrow

Yeah, I think most of the students are back tomorrow.

Did anyone say when the Student ID cards will be ready? Not that I'm in a rush, just curious.

Did anyone say when the Student ID cards will be ready? Not that I'm in a rush, just curious.

I asked the one who did mine, she said we would most likely get them Weds, where or how , I have no idea!

Another thing, can we bring in our own laptops, for notes etc?
    I wouldn't go bringing in anything to expensive (accidents can happen), but my battered old inspiron would handy (if I can sit close to a power socket :) ).

Just getting ahead of myself, too eager I reckon!

All will become apparent, when the dust settles, it will.
    Logic, you will see; happy, you will be......

/jeez, I need to get out more!

Another thing, can we bring in our own laptops, for notes etc?

I wouldn't say there would be any issue with bringing in an laptop, more so with finding a seat beside a power socket!
    On a sidenote, have you used the college wi-fi yet? Been using it tonight[abit from Ballyraine Halls] but getting a full signal, speeds are very sub-par!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Pens, notepads and a calculator will be pretty much all that's needed for first year. Actually I don't think I've used much else yet. USB stick may be handy too.

Plenty of people bring in laptops, some lecturers don't like them being used, others don't mind. You find out pretty quickly which don't like them :P
    I wouldn't say there would be any issue with bringing in an laptop, more so with finding a seat beside a power socket!
    On a sidenote, have you used the college wi-fi yet? Been using it tonight[abit from Ballyraine Halls] but getting a full signal, speeds are very sub-par!

Speeds can change pretty drastically based on where you are. Also, if you're downloading, different download managers get different speeds.

I spotted the lyit wifi signal on my phone, but I don't know the password.
    Where did you find that out?

Care to share?
    By PM maybe? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

It's a complicated enough setup as far as connecting to a network goes. You get a wee booklet that describes how, from the computer helpdesk near 2290 (up the stairs by the reception, glass hatch on the left halfway down the corridor). I think it's your student ID and password that are used to gain access. There are instructions for mapping your student drive and the lecturers public drive to appear as extra hard drives on your laptop too.

I got a letter from the Computer Services in my registration info. pack.
    It has my username and pin no., which I can use for the webmail. Didn't try this on the phone, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.

There is a note on the letter, stating that "group sessions to introduce new students to the IT services", will be starting after Sept. 20th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

Yeah, I think most of the students are back tomorrow.

the cards were handed out at reception last year.

they gave one of the guys in my class the whole lot of the cards for our group and he just gave them to us... he must have been the first one up from our class!! doubt they'll be out wednesday tho think we were waiting about a week for them last year if i remember rightly!!

Advertisement