Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball-Park Costs comparison

Options
  • 13-09-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I see a lot of people are looking to settle the TF vs Block debate, and while it may never be settled fully, the issue of cost is one that is fairly black and white (I suppose...).

I went with TF - as at the time I thought block would not be efficient enough in terms of u-values, harder to control quality etc. Now, I may be wrong, but that was what I thought. Anyway, without mentioning any companies -

I built Sept 09 (frame arrived on site). At that time, the frame came in at:

65k (for 3400sq ft 2 storey) = 19eur/sq ft for the following:

frame supplied and fitted, insulation (up to regs), internal doors, skirting (red deal), simple red deal stairs, and truss roof, felted and battened (upvc), all drawings re-drawn by them, site surveyed after foundations poured, all supporting steel needed for frame.

I actually went for another option, which was more complete -

95k (for 3400 sq ft) = 28eur/sq ft which included in addition:

all external windows and doors (upvc, 1.1u, teak front door), all walls insulated and pre-slabbed, all ceiling slabs, upgraded insulation (0.18u walls), airtight membrane pre-finished around windows and doors (not cielings), frame airtight sealed to floor, electrical conduits pre-placed in walls as per my requirements.

As this is only ball-park, could someone give a quick estimate for building the same, with the modern block build methods, to the same spec? I'm sure if the components could be broken down, it would be even more helpful to the folks who are just getting started.

Advertisement