Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Desire from Meteor

Options
  • 13-09-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

I have just got my Desire locked from Meteor and now I want to play with it so I have a couple of newbie questions as this is my first android phone.

What is rooting?What are the advantages of doing this?Does doing this unlock the phone?

How do I find out what version of android is on the phone? Ive read a couple of threads on different HBoot versions that could be on the phone how do I find out which one I have?

Sorry for all the questions but as a long time iphone user this is all a bit confusing..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

There's a few advantages of rooting but for the average joe it isnt really necessary as Android is already very open.

But its pretty much like jail breaking on the iPhone. Giving you full access to the phone.

Its mainly used for flashing custom ROMs onto the phone. Theres a few back up apps that require root access. You can also use market enabler which allows you to get paid apps. Say if you dont like HTC Sense you can flash a different ROM that doesn't have it and with battery fixes and performance improvements and bloatware removed.

You can check your firmware version is by going into settings scrolling down the whole way down and go into about phone

all software information should be there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

When did you order it ?
    id love to get a desire from Meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

samhail wrote: »
    When did you order it ?
    id love to get a desire from Meteor

Ditto;)

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

lol, thanks
    When did you order it ?

Id love to get a desire from Meteor

My missus went in and got a phone in Mullingar on Sunday, when we were in there I just got talking to the guy about the desire and he told me he'd have one in on Monday do thats how i got it!

• Advertisement

hmmm. interesting. Thanks bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

wingnut32 wrote: »
    lol, thanks

My missus went in and got a phone in Mullingar on Sunday, when we were in there I just got talking to the guy about the desire and he told me he'd have one in on Monday do thats how i got it!

Anybody heard of the new white Desire coming soon to CFW? I saw something on some of the Android news type sites that they're due in the UK soon. I know someone looking for a Desire on Meteor as it's by far the best value for what they will use it for but they are like gold dust and she has been told it could be November before they are back in store, the guy in the shop told here you cant put your name down for one and its just pot luck. Any news on availability yet of the original or the white version?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

By the way the phone is running version 2.2, Ive read that this might be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Just got this from the CPW team

" Thank you for your email.

There are currently rumours circulating that HTC will be releasing a White edition of the Desire. So far they have not officially confirmed a release date, and they have not advised whether or not it will be available in Ireland.

As soon as we have been advised of a release date this information will be available in our stores and on our website

Kind Regards,
    xxxxxx xxxxxxx
    Customer Support "

Looks like something may be on the way but not sure if we will get it here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I have just got my Desire locked from Meteor and now I want to play with it so I have a couple of newbie questions as this is my first android phone.

What is rooting?What are the advantages of doing this?Does doing this unlock the phone?
    Rooting is giving yourself "superuser" access to your phone. If you're in anyway familiar with Linux that means giving yourself "Root" access or total access to the phone. It doesn't offer too much unless you're technically minded but some things it does offer to the non-techie of us

- Custom ROMs which add new features much earlier than HTC do
    - Custom Themes which look slick
    - The ability to run a full Linux distro like ubuntu on your phone
    - The ability to run root only apps like Titanium Backup
    - The ability to use APPS2SD+ which allows you to create a separate partition for apps and is much more efficient than the stock method of storing apps on the sd card.
    - The ability to use your phone at the lowest level (In other words, you can use it as a PS3 Jailbreaking device for instance)

Plenty of benefits ;)
    How do I find out what version of android is on the phone? Ive read a couple of threads on different HBoot versions that could be on the phone how do I find out which one I have?
    Just push Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Software information and look for the Android version.As for HBOOT that is your phone's bootloader (So to speak). I'm going to guess it's either HBOOT 0.83 or HBOOT 0.92 as it's fairly new. To check just restart your phone with the Volume down button held down and it'll be written up on the top.
    Sorry for all the questions but as a long time iphone user this is all a bit confusing..
    Asking questions is how we all learn :)

Advertisement