Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan O'Connor Article

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

I imagine im going against the grain with this but all i read was self pity!
    The title should have been 'Poor Me, by Brendan O' Connor'!

Maybe its because what i already know about the man has skewered my opinion and i couldnt read it objectively with a neutral opinion. But i hope not. I hope i did read it with an open mind and it simply confirmed that my prejudices were right.

In other words that Brendan O' Connor is an obnoxious, self-centred and totally intolerant man! My sympathy goes out to the child, not because she's stuck with Downs Syndrome for the rest of her life but because she's stuck with her father for the rest of her life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I generally like Brendan O'Connor's articles anyway but this brought a tear to the eye (and that's not just the hormones talking)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Lovely piece of writing

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oh well , okay

My wife is pregnant with twins , one has a genetic problem and will not live for longer than a few days .

I have to admit I cannot abide Brendan O Connor but that article brought a very large tear to this mans eyes , a lot of what he wrote rang very true to my current situation . . . .

I still can't stand him though , well maybe I'm softening to him a little bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

oh well, my sympathies to you and your family.
    You would want to have a heart of stone to not be moved by that article, whatever you think if BOC, that is a heartfelt, honest article.
    I hope he and his family continue in the joy thye seem to have found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

generally I can't stand him on tv shows and have never read his writings before, but I was genuinely struck by this article. It describes almost exactly what my family went through and our thoughts when it happened to close family member. 10 yrs on we now see "Sean" as a happy little boy, going to school, enjoying his life and looking forward to seeing his happy smile face every day. There are still problems - and kids can be quite cruel in their comments, but generally, its all been good. There are much worse things we could have been facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Terrible to find that the expert medical staff STILL have absolutely no idea about how to communicate news to parents.

Good to see people moving on from the oul 'special little angel' nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not time whatsoever for BOC: I'd go as far as to say I hate him, but as a parent, I have sympathy for anybody who has just received this kind of news.

I don't agree with the idea that it 'softens' you toward somebody who experiences something like this but I do have empathy, not least for his partner and the rest of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

a beautifully written piece of honesty and openness, as a parent I have to feel for him and his family. Life is so fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Carley353

Hi, can anyone provide a link to the second article printed during the summer about the first year of his daughter's life? Would love to read it but can't find it online. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Advertisement