Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music! Help!

Options
  • 12-09-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I was thinking about taking up Music for te leaving certificate. I was just wondering would it be possible as I play guitar and sing but I have NO knowledge at all of sheet music and all that jazz (no pun in intended:P)....Is there any way I could work around it? Possible to learn everything in one year, I have never taking music before!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Yes you can if you are willing to apply yourself.
    I had never looked at at sheet music before and managed a C3 in honours. Should have been higher but I played metal for my practical (don't do that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Yukina

it's possible, but not easy, you will have to work at it, I'd suggest to read sheet music asap! and realise that the exam is at MOST 50% practical, so while it's possible to pass on that alone, if you're hoping for high marks you will need some of the theory and a general appreciation of all kinds of music. I'm not certain but I think the pieces you would have to study include Bohemian Rhapsody, Bach, Tchaikovsky and a modern Irish piece by Dean.

I took music for the Leaving cert in 2008 and really enjoyed it, but you do have to pit a lot of effort into the theory. :) Good luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Solus01 wrote: »
    I was thinking about taking up Music for te leaving certificate. I was just wondering would it be possible as I play guitar and sing but I have NO knowledge at all of sheet music and all that jazz (no pun in intended:P)....Is there any way I could work around it? Possible to learn everything in one year, I have never taking music before!

well to go back to basics will nearly kill you id say for the first while anyway. melody writing is annoying even for someone with 8 yrs reading music not to mention the harmony question....id say you could do it...i have a friend who found it very hard but he could read music before he went in....what i would say is...if you are looking or easy points...music is not the way to go. especially with no prior knowlegde. try geography or accounting.....50 percent practical is handy and by the sounds of it you would fly it...but its the composition people rely on to bring up their overall grade because if u get a nasty set works question you may not even get the honour.

so...pros: its enjoyable
    its interesting
    if you understand it all the honour is yours
    the cons..
    time is needed to grasp fundamentals
    time is needed to perfect 8 songs for practical if u take two
    activities
    with no previous musical background (in school) unseen tests
    may be challenging

however i loveed it. you will too....but its a hell of alot of work ontop of all the other subjects :pac:

Advertisement