Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leave degree after 3 years

Options
  • 12-09-2010 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Guys,
    I wonder if anybody can help me out. Im a TCD student going into 4th year and I really do not want to complete my degree (yes it sounds stupid but its a long story). Anyway, I heard a rumour that if I leave now, having completed the 3 years, I would be awarded an ordinary level degree, is this a fact? Or would I leave with notthing. Appreciate any info,
    cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I don't think that's true, I was told that you only get an ordinary degree if it was an ordinary degree you signed up for, and if you dropped out of an honours degree after three years you'd get nothing.

But I've only got my old careers teachers word for it, I'm not sure how accurate some of his information is.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

in some courses at least if you fail your finals, you still get an ordinary degree... so you may still have to register but not go for the year... ask you tutor....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

What course are you doing? With my degree that was certainly the case. Contact the undergrad coordinator in your dept.

I would urge you however to either research all the options and if possible either complete or defer your final year, depending on your circumstances, as an honours degree is simply worth so much for that single year. You also have the option of transferring to another university if it's a geography issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I think you can do that in TSM.

I'm just going into fourth year TSM now myself. I found third year pretty hard and my tutor mentioned to me something about this last year. He said that I could leave with just my minor done and I would get an ordinary B.A. rather than a higher B.A., but I would have to ask for special permission to do it.

Apparently it was really popular before free fees came in but now that we have free fees, most people stay for the four years.

You should get in touch with your tutor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

treenis wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I wonder if anybody can help me out. Im a TCD student going into 4th year and I really do not want to complete my degree (yes it sounds stupid but its a long story). Anyway, I heard a rumour that if I leave now, having completed the 3 years, I would be awarded an ordinary level degree, is this a fact? Or would I leave with notthing. Appreciate any info,
    cheers

You can take the BA pass after 3 years. Honours degrees are awarded after 4 years.

You can also "upgrade" to the MA from BA pass in 3 years' time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

To be honest, if you do leave with an ordinary degree it might as well be nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

El Siglo wrote: »
    To be honest, if you do leave with an ordinary degree it might as well be nothing.

Bull crap.

Degrees are ten a penny these days. Getting stuck in to a bit of work and retiring a year earlier is worth far more than an honours degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Bull crap.

Degrees are ten a penny these days. Getting stuck in to a bit of work and retiring a year earlier is worth far more than an honours degree.

That's why it's even more important to have a good honours one then.

A bit of work? That's if you can get into it. Considering there's so many graduates with honours degrees on the dole or in the process of emigrating, employers have their pick of graduates. Would a graduate with an honours degree not have a better chance of employment if up against a graduate with an ordinary degree? Maybe if the latter had work experience to go as well but I would imagine it's still pretty tough.

Op, regardless of what's said here, do what you think is right. However, make sure you have something to fall on though if you decide to finish now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

You might really want to finish it now but chances are you might regret it later on. Have a good think about this.

Anyway, I worry whatever you end up doing didnt work out for you later on then you cant go back to college to upgrade to 4th year or do other courses because many courses will require a primary degree first.

Could you just say you are taking a year out to see how you are getting on and can alway get back on to 4th year .....? If you stayed on 4th year. Think about the end of the year - you can do whatever sh!t you want (:p) and still can do hdip/masters etc later on in life. (persuming you got at least 2.2 or upwards)

The end of the day - it is your decision not your friend/mother/father/fosterparents/aunty/yourdog/or even me!

I wish you very best of luck and do let us know what you end up doing. :)

Advertisement