Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice for a new business

Options
  • 12-09-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

I’m not familiar with the equine industry but I would like to advertise a new product /service that would be of interest to the industry.

Could you suggest an Irish magazine or paper in which to advertise my product?
    At first glance “the Field” seems to be the best choice,
    I would be grateful for any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

You would want to get to know the industry to sell the product if you want my opinion. That's before you start advertising as there will always be new comers to the whole horse thing who will ask about the product and how it will benefit their horse.

As for places to advertise, it depends on the product and the target audience. There are many different types of horse people with many different needs. Look through other magasins, papers etc. and see what they are advertising as then you know their target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I've already had some keen interest from the sport/industry on a local level, that's why I was looking to investigate it further.

I'm leaning towards the Irish Field, but it is quite expensive even for a small ad.
    I'd prefer a magazine as they tend to hang around a long time, but i do know in the current climate, people don't tend to buy magazines regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Field would definatley be the best even though it's expensive to place an add. It's by far the most read equestrian publication. The Faremers Journal would also be an option, in the Horse section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Much appreciated
    I was talking to the advertising dept. in “the Field”, they also suggested their “Annual Directory 2011”. due out in December.

I’m always a bit wary of advertising in yearbooks, would you refer to it or have it on your desk?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

We have copies of the Irish Field Directory going back years, and even though there are lots of ads scattered throughout it, to be completely honest I'd only ever look at it to look up riding schools, studs, stallions, jockeys, trainers, etc. I'd only glance at the ads, but it wouldn't be my first port of call if I was looking for something specific.

As far as I remember, the ads are scattered throughout the directory rather than having a specific index. (I am, of course, open to correction, as I haven't really looked at the last few years' directories in much detail - mostly down to a lack of time).

The Irish Field and the horse section of the Farmers' Journal would be the best way to go initially. Yes, it's expensive, but because there are only 2 or 3 pages of 'classifieds' in the Field, your ad wouldn't tend to be drowned out.

You could always try buyandsell or donedeal.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The Irish Field and coordinate it with a website and perhaps try to do an advertorial in the Field (advert with story)

Advertisement