Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day late...

Options
  • 12-09-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

This cropped up in Helpdesk a while ago, and I made a mental note to post it on September 11th. Unfortunately, it slipped my mind yesterday, so forgive me that its a day late.

Omg Turn On the News

This is the After Hours thread regarding the events of September 11, 2001, posted as they were happening.

It makes for interesting reading, and isn't too long (approx 120 posts).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Still unbelievable all these years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I was on two flights that afternoon - which made for an interesting day. Kept in the dark about what was going on, but quite obviously something was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Relevant to this forum, the stuff that most grabs my attention are things like the reports of a bomb on Capitol Hill (which I remember hearing myself on the day in question), or a car-bomb outsite the Pentagon long after the plane had hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

bonkey wrote: »
    Relevant to this forum, the stuff that most grabs my attention are things like the reports of a bomb on Capitol Hill (which I remember hearing myself on the day in question), or a car-bomb outsite the Pentagon long after the plane had hit.

Remember hearing about a car bomb too, did this not actually happen?

Looks like saying 'OMG' was all the rage back then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I've a load of emails saved from a mailing list from the day. Very interesting in hindsight how the quality of information varies throughout. Must dig them up and stitch them together sometime. It was also weird that some media didn't cope well with the events. Iirc the web was really slow but email and TV performed well.

First post by me watching Sky News at the time:

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:02:21 -0700
    Subject: Open: Very OT: Breaking news - plane crash in NY

8<

plane has crashed into World Trade Center
    looks accidental by small commuter

holy **** another has just crashed into the other
    just saw it live
    \r

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

when was the thanks system introduced on this forum anyone know? i don't remember seeing it on this software back in those days. just curious when some of these posts were thanked, or to confirm they weren't thanked at the time of posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

bonkey wrote: »

i was in new york on the day and remember hearing both these rumours by word of mouth. also that many more planes were hijacked.

some good calls on that original thread though

draco: "I suspect that severl places will be bombed back to the stone age and bush will want to send troops into a couple of places to clear them out. Expect a lose of civil rights in the states and a few other countrys as a kneejerk reaction."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

RGDATA! wrote: »
    i was in new york on the day and remember hearing both these rumours by word of mouth. also that many more planes were hijacked.

some good calls on that original thread though

draco: "I suspect that severl places will be bombed back to the stone age and bush will want to send troops into a couple of places to clear them out. Expect a lose of civil rights in the states and a few other countrys as a kneejerk reaction."

Speaking of KneeJerk reaction, if you've seen the doc "102 minutes that changed America" it was crazy to hear some of the people in Times Square saying things like "we should go to those Arab countries and kill them all".

9 years later it seems like an incredibly irrational thing to say, but i remember that day, own generation had never seen such an attack. The fact it was in America, it was beamed live all around the world as it was happening. It was crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

RGDATA! wrote: »
    when was the thanks system introduced on this forum anyone know? i don't remember seeing it on this software back in those days. just curious when some of these posts were thanked, or to confirm they weren't thanked at the time of posting

Thanks is only here maybe two years? Probably not even that long, so any that you see thanked would only have been thanked in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

That thread brings me back. I remember how confused it all was. Then how irritating it was when that same confusion was used as proof of something sinister.

• Advertisement
Advertisement