Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap car and cheap insurance Advice ***

Options
  • 12-09-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey, in a cuple of months ill be 17 and buying my first car. I already know how to drive and did my theory test. I was wondering can anyone give me any advice on a cheap car and insurer. If it helps with insurance im a girl. :p

What i need is:
    A half decent looking cheap car to insure. :) (please don't mention a yaris)
    Not costing over €1000.

So far ive considered
    Peugeot 106, 206 ;)
    Fiesta
    saxo
    corsa
    puma

Dream car is a mini but i don't think thats an option with my price range :(

Cheers!! :rolleyes:

Any links for cars you see would be a big help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Fiesta 1.25 zetec would be the best. Had one as my first car and the insurance was about par for the course compared to the others. If I were you i'd get a quote on all and see which works out cheapest and work from there to find a good one

A ka ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kar111

EPM wrote: »
    Fiesta 1.25 zetec would be the best. Had one as my first car and the insurance was about par for the course compared to the others. If I were you i'd get a quote on all and see which works out cheapest and work from there to find a good one

Ye i was looking at a few of them on donedeal. They seem an alright car, is it nice/easy to drive do you think?

1.25 Fiesta is a fine little bus, great car. You'd have no bother with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I have a 206 (well it's parked up at my g.f's house while I work in korea) but it's a great car. I bo9ught it to learn to drive in and it was brilliant. it's small, looks okay and mine being a 1.4 was more than powerful enough for me.

The only problem I had with mine is that it came with bigger alloys / thinner tyres than I wanted(low profile??), any heavy bump I went over heavily kept on messing my allignment.

Gonna change the tyres and wheels when I come back home.

• Advertisement

Ye oh i would love a 206 so much!! i do't think id be able to get a good sound working one in my price range though.

I think I paid €1600 for mine, it had 58,000miles on the clock and had new tyres put on it (the only reason I didn't change them straight away) plus a full service and check up by a mechanic friend of my brothers.

The seller also needed to pay credit card bills at the time, she was initially looking 2,500 (most of the same cars were going on various website between 1,800 and 3,000) but I got her down to €1,600.

stop living outside your means or a príck like me will come along and take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Intox

Ive found Tesco to be good quality for no frills TPFT

€1800 on a 1.6 first timer 25 years old

cloneslad wrote: »
    I think I paid €1600 for mine, it had 58,000miles on the clock and had new tyres put on it (the only reason I didn't change them straight away) plus a full service and check up by a mechanic friend of my brothers.

The seller also needed to pay credit card bills at the time, she was initially looking 2,500 (most of the same cars were going on various website between 1,800 and 3,000) but I got her down to €1,600.

stop living outside your means or a príck like me will come along and take advantage.

Ye how did you get her down so low? Whats your secret? :D

Intox wrote: »
    Ive found Tesco to be good quality for no frills TPFT

€1800 on a 1.6 first timer 25 years old

What car is that if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

kar111 wrote: »
    Ye how did you get her down so low? Whats your secret? :D

no secret, I wasn't pushed on going any higher because I would have just kept looking for a car around that price.

She really needed to sell because she had some debt.

I had cash, she needed it. I offered what I thought was a fair enough price.

So she took what I offered.

I'm not some sort of magic negotiator (although I did enjoy myself haggling in Beijing)

The deal just went like this:

she had heard through a mutual friend that I was looking to buy a car and the friend offered me the car with the original price tag. I just told them I wasn't looking to spend that much and was actually only looking to spend €1,600.

Think she had it on sale for a few weeks before that (poster on the window type advert, not on internet) so she was just happy to be getting rid of it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

A renault clio would be my advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Intox

kar111 wrote: »
    What car is that if you don't mind me asking?

98 hyundai coupe

Advertisement