Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Options

Options
  • 11-09-2010 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Many on here going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Yup I'm going on the Friday

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

I am, were going on the thursday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Going on thursday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Such a waste of time...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

theowen wrote: »
    Such a waste of time...

Care to elaborate??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Going on Wednesday! Seems like the lame day to go lol.

pajero12 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate??
    The representatives from the colleges have to answer questions on all topics so their not gonna be wholly knowlegdable. If your interested in one of the more popular colleges there'll be a fairly size-able queue so they can't talk for as long as you'd want. Basically, you'd get more information on the college website and/or an email to someone. My experience anyway:)

Of course, if your going to just get the day off then it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Going Thursday, people were telling me it's really good to go if you're not sure what you want to do after school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Go for the free stuff lads! Yell be stressed out enough after christmas, make the most of these doss days while ye can

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The best thing you could do at Higher Options is get a prospectus for every college you're interested in going to. They usually have free bags to help you carry them round in too;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

Going on Thursday. Definitely going to take a load of free stuff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Going on Wednesday! Seems like the lame day to go lol.

Going on Wednesday too. I went last year and I hate the way it's so packed and hot, I seriously get light headed in those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭irish_man

Going on Thursday. Definitely going to take a load of free stuff. :D

The only good thing about the day is all the free pens you get. I got about 7. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

What is Higher Options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

irish_man wrote: »
    The only good thing about the day is all the free pens you get. I got about 7. :P

And prospectuses . :) I'm going to start a collection.

Anyone who was there last year-how busy was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Very. Most if the people are very helpful though, and will give you as much time as you want, if you wait in line. There are exceptions, however. The women from Oxford was a bitch last year, she refused to give out prospectuses till you told her exactly what you wanted to study and why, and told a friend of mine he couldn't have one because he "didn't look like a 600 point student".

Get the oxford and cambridge ones. Makes for a smart looking shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DufferO8

my school have to wear uniform :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Higher options is good. You get good information that you need there. I got good info off the DCU reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Can someone tell me if you can pay on the day at the door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

we're heading to higher options tomorrow and have to make our own way. Does anyone know if theres parking in the RDS or nearby?

we're heading to higher options tomorrow and have to make our own way. Does anyone know if theres parking in the RDS or nearby?
    Yea they always have parking at the RDS however weather or not you will get a space is another thing

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Where abouts is it? Think I Can picture it. Right outside the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

There is parking around the RDS but you will have to pay for it. I don't know how much but I do know you have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Sorry for the negative post and potentially wrong place.

Guy ahead of Communications, Journo etc. Grey Hair, Blue Eyes and Glasses.

You have decided for me that DCU is not for me. You are quite a reprehensible person and i am glad i shall not be attending a college you frequent with.

What did anyone else make of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Who went today, or who intends to go to it either tomorrow or Thursday?

I went to it today with my school, and thought it was excellent. I was hoping to attend the 'Working in Science' lecture, but it was then changed to a talk about a careers in computing instead, which was rather disappointing. Most people who had been seated (including myself) walked out, and there was a very small crowd for it afterwards.

I also attended the CAO system lecture, which I found very useful as the speaker from the CAO went into detail and explained everything well. This was very well attended.

Most of the people who were at the stands were very helpful, especially the representative from the Hungarian University (I am interested in studying Veterinary Medicine). The Irish universities such as UCD, UL etc. had a different representative for each subject area, which was excellent. At the British University stands they only had one or two reps though, and there was quite a wait to talk to reps from certain Unis such as Cambridge.

What were everyone else's thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I posted my 'review' a few minutes ago in a separate thread (I've only just spotted this one!)...

Some of the representatives from certain Universities were completely uninterested in speaking to prospect students, but overall most were very helpful and encouraging. I didn't go to the DCU stand though, as they have no courses that I'd be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Skyb

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I thought it was okay, not great, one of the women from NUIG was lovely, talked to her for ages!:)

There was some guy from Trinity though he almost put me off wanting to go there at all, didn't really know what he was talking about but when he asked another teacher to help him out she looked at me and my friend and walked away!

• Advertisement

storm2811 wrote: »
    I thought it was okay, not great, one of the women from NUIG was lovely, talked to her for ages!:)

There was some guy from Trinity though he almost put me off wanting to go there at all, didn't really know what he was talking about but when he asked another teacher to help him out she looked at me and my friend and walked away!

I actually found trinity more helpful than nui Maynooth, Maynooth kinda rushed me, while I was talking for ages at Trinity

Advertisement