Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psych nursing for Mature Students

Options
  • 11-09-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi
    I work as a care assistant and have some courses under my belt. feel that i am ready to take on a degree and need some info on how people manage the financials as regards leaving work to study full time. My hubbby is unemployed and i have two kids but i need to do this. it will be worth it in the long run....any one out there doing someting similar???

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sounds like a very tough road to take. Financially it could be a strain I imagine. You would get your fees waived, but as for a form of grant, it would be doubtful, as the deadline was last week and they are very strict on handing in applications this year due to the sheer volume of applicants.

From other peoples experience, you could get a sponsor if you have or know of an employer that would benefit from your study. My mate done that for a two year course in Limerick IT before financially supporting himself for a third year in Athlone IT.

Honestly, other than that, I wouldnt know much else. You could try ringing your local council offices and assessing the options they provide you, although they'll probably just point down the FAS route. Hope that helps in any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Rgoldie

hi there thanks for reply!

I want to do it next september.I want to be prepared well for the interview and stuff so need time to do this right. i have no interest in FAS at all....ready for the hard work of a degree!! i hope that i can organise myself financially before then. Hopefully my hubby has a job by then.. I have been doing a dip in community development but the qualification is not worth the paper it will be written on it seems. i only found this out after doing one year of the course. i have experience of working with people with psychiatric illnesses, i have FETAC level 5 in a care course and as i said a cert in community development. I am wondering if anyone knows if i could get a BETI allowance? what the story with grants and BETI?....its all so confusing.will i get anything if i leave my job for this??
    ta in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

would you qualify for back to education allowance?? and there is a student grant i also think welfare could help with chiilcare? im not sure but you should go to a guidance counsellor or even citizens advice. im hoping to go as a mature student in pschiatric nursing myself. im a man but unemployed and 53 . im probably leaving it too late at my age as i will be 58 by the time i finish the degree. almsot time to retire lol but i will try it anyway

Advertisement