Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping from higher to ordinary in Irish

Options
  • 10-09-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

is there that much difference in the course on pass level? is there a lot less pressure? i'm doing all honours and find honours irish the worst - i cant handle studying all these poems and would like to have the worry out of my mind so i can focus on my other honours subjects ... any thoughts??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

You can pass ordinary irish with no effort whatsoever.

The poems are given to you on the day, which helps. If you have a general knowledge of the stories you'll befine.
    Paper 2 is worth alot less than paper 1.

You can easily pick up marks from the comprehensions, and, like everybody else in the country does, you can adapt any story on the day to make it about an accident. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You can pass ordinary irish with no effort whatsoever.

I wouldn't say that you'd pass with no effort at all, you will have to study be it OL or HL, but there is considerably less content to be covered in the OL course (and to a lower language level as well).

And be aware that you won't be able to do Primary Teaching without HL Irish (at least not straight after the LC anyway).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I was failing honours Irish in 6th year. Best decision I ever made was drop down. I came out with an A2! It's a lot less work and therefore a lot less pressure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

is there that much difference in the course on pass level? is there a lot less pressure? i'm doing all honours and find honours irish the worst - i cant handle studying all these poems and would like to have the worry out of my mind so i can focus on my other honours subjects ... any thoughts??:confused:

I'm in the exact same situation! I've a useless Irish teacher and since I'm doing 7 other higher level subjects I don't want to waste time on it since I'm 99% sure I won't be using it for points. As far as I know the pass course has only half the poems and no star! But my parents are insisting that I keep up the honours. I just feel like all the extra work is a waste of time and I could be concentrating more on my other subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

I just dropped from honours to pass irish during the week:) so far, best decision i've ever made :) feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders:) i'd definately go for it OP, especially if you're not going to count it for points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Its incredibly easy if you're coming at it from 'I could do honours if I worked my arse off but its a lot of effort' standpoint.Its basically honours JC. I'm thinking of dropping myself. If you don't need it and you hate it get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

I GOT RID OF HONS IRISH THIS WEEK TOO!!!! *high5*:D so happy i did it! i dont need the points as i have to do a portfolio for my course... i stuck hons all year last year, it just annoyed me sometime hah! and i've barely any homework in pass now, wooo:) all you've to do in pass is the poems thats that hons do minus the danta duglais something or other:p its only about 5 poems and story...handy much! and the questions are general. also the paper is EASIER than hons irish for JC! no joke, take a look at the paper yourself:) quit it NOW....save all the hassle and added pressure:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Struggled hard with Honours Irish and Maths last year and came out with a B1 and B2 respectively ... it's a lot of work, there's no denying that. I just think it's a pity that one of those is very likely to get the chop for the majority of students - especially our native tongue which is a beautiful language struggling against poor teaching (my teacher was godawful) and a negative stigma among students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

KateC92 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same situation! I've a useless Irish teacher and since I'm doing 7 other higher level subjects I don't want to waste time on it since I'm 99% sure I won't be using it for points. As far as I know the pass course has only half the poems and no star! But my parents are insisting that I keep up the honours. I just feel like all the extra work is a waste of time and I could be concentrating more on my other subjects.

Who is sitting the Leaving?
    Your parents are being unreasonable in insisting you do all honours subjects. Since you are the one doing the subject and you are the one who is going to sit the exam, they can't insist you sticking with honours.
    Sit them down and tell them how much you are struggling. Reming them that you are doing 8 subjects and how Irish is taking up so much more of your time than other subjects are and you are doing terrible in it despite all the work you put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

I'm definitely dropping honours Irish in the next week or two. I have 6 other honours subjects anyway so I'm grand. You can put so much work into your other subjects if you drop, so go for it op. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

thanks everyone,dont feel like such a lazy sod anymore! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Yes.
    If you're after struggling in Honours Irish and drop down to pass it'll be píss easy.
    I done it and got a C1 in ordinary after being totally clueless in honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

I dropped down today!!! So happy! The pass class is so so so easy, so it's smooth sailing from here! woah, what a load of my shoulders :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Be sure you won't ever, ever, ever be interested in doing something that requires hons Irish.

I cannot stress that enough. Too many people only see the short term in the LC...it's too much work, I don't need it.... Then 5 years out of college they realise they don't really want to do what they're doing, would like to change to something like teaching, because it's got short hours, good holidays, they'd like it better, etc...and they either can't because they haven't done irish, or they've to spend a year doing LC Irish again, OR end up going to the UK and then come back here and can't teach in a primary school because they haven't got the Irish.Either that, or they decide do change to a course that requires hons Irish - and again, they can't.

Please, please, please think about it. People just do not get good advice sometimes when it comes to these things. And because the jobs situation is so bad out here right now, people are changing careers left, right and centre. It's not about doing all honours subjects or getting 600 points, it's about giving yourself as many options as possible, about leaving as many doors open to yourself as possible, both for the CAO 2011, and CAO 2022.If you have the ability, then it's short term effort for long term gain...something that very few LC students realise or are told. The same applies to Hons Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

Am guna throw in my 2 cents! its a lot easier to get a c3 in honours irish than to get an A in pass, which as far as i can remember is the same points, and ya never know when you could end up needing the hon in Irish... Baring in mind that the Irish course is usually fairly predictable and the oral (which ya can learn and rhymhe off) is worth a sihtload my advice would be just stay in honours, do the bare minimum and if need be drop down on the day of the exam...

fearbainne wrote: »
    Am guna throw in my 2 cents! its a lot easier to get a c3 in honours irish than to get an A in pass, which as far as i can remember is the same points, and ya never know when you could end up needing the hon in Irish... Baring in mind that the Irish course is usually fairly predictable and the oral (which ya can learn and rhymhe off) is worth a sihtload my advice would be just stay in honours, do the bare minimum and if need be drop down on the day of the exam...

I am going to disagree there. i was completely failing honours and managed an A2 in Ordinary level. If you have most of the honours work done, it's a lot easier to get through ordinary and do really well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CosmicCrusader

Ceapaimse go bhfuil sé i bhfad níos fearr ardléibheal a dhéanamh! Má bhíonn tú in ann níos mó na 60 marcanna a fháil (fiú marc amháin thar!)
    Is é 60 marcanna an méid ar fad is féidir leat a fháil, áfach, tá ort 100% a fháil i mbúnléibheal! Agus is léir nach tharlóidh é sin, so gheobhaidh tú níos lú ná 60 gan amhras! So, i mo thuairim féin, tá sé níos fearr an béagan níos mó oibre a dhéanamh!

Ceapaimse go bhfuil sé i bhfad níos fearr ardléibheal a dhéanamh! Má bhíonn tú in ann níos mó na 60 marcanna a fháil (fiú marc amháin thar!)
    Is é 60 marcanna an méid ar fad is féidir leat a fháil, áfach, tá ort 100% a fháil i mbúnléibheal! Agus is léir nach tharlóidh é sin, so gheobhaidh tú níos lú ná 60 gan amhras! So, i mo thuairim féin, tá sé níos fearr an béagan níos mó oibre a dhéanamh!

After a bit of translating I worked that out!

There is a HUGE difference between the courses and the level of Irish needed, Those 60 points aren't easy to get in honours and I'd rather have my 50 than a fail that prevented me from getting into college.

OP by all means stick with honours for as long as possible but if you find it difficult you can drop and still do really well! you will have most of the work done as well to honours level making ordinary easier! :)

I really think the differences between honours and ordinary is a bit crazy. the same with maths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Holy crap.
    I'm 10 years out of secondary school and I actually understand that.

That's going to make me feel better for the rest of the day!!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Star134

If you find Irish difficult then I really would suggest taking the pressure off and moving to Ordinary. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Dropped from honours to ordinary last week, SO MUCH BETTER. Why did I bother with honours Irish all last year?! The work rate is so much slower and relaxed, I could nearly go into the paper now and do fine in the comprehensions and maybe even the essay.

Advertisement