Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend any decent concert dvds?

Options
  • 10-09-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend good quality well shot concert videos/dvds ? Have a few listed below but need to expand the list a bit. Live Aid would probably be the one that gets most play as I can just have it on in the background for hours as the chaos of 3 kids running around the house means you can't focus too much or for too long. :P

The list is not totally reflective of my taste :) I listen to all sorts but as far as I can see you don't get decent concert dvds for a lot of music.

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    Kings of Leon - Live at the 02
    Live Aid
    David Bowie - A Reality Tour
    Duran Duran - London Live 2004
    Queen - Live Wembley 86
    Queen - Live at the Bowl
    Springsteen - Glastonbury 09
    Stone Roses - Live in Blackpool
    U2 go home

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Bring on the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Here's some DVDs that I have and think are great:

Pink Floyd - Live At Pompeii
    Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 1974, Live At Montreux, At Rockpalast, Live At The Cork Opera House
    Jimi Hendrix - Blue Wild Angel: Live at The isle Of Wight Festival, Jimi Plays Berkley, Live At Woodstock
    John Lennon - Sweet Toronto
    Paul McCartney - Live At The Cavern Club
    Nirvana - Unplugged In New York, Live! Tonight! Sold Out!!
    Prince - Sign O' The Times
    Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps, Silver And Gold, Heart Of Gold
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    The White Stripes - Under Blackpool Lights
    Elvis Presley - '68 Comeback Special, Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite, That's The Way It Is
    The Doors - Live At The Hollywood Bowl
    Woodstock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The Flaming Lips - UFOs at the Zoo
    Radiohead - Live at the Astoria
    The Hives - Tussles in Brussels
    Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band - Live In New York
    The Band - The Last Waltz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Serious Moonlight by David Bowie is my favourite live show.

It's from the Let's Dance era and he re-works some of his older stuff to fit that style but it works really well, like Station to Station and Cracked Actor.

Tbh, I don't enjoy Ziggy Stardust as much as this one but then I like a lot of soul/funk/disco so that could be why I enjoy this mixing of Bowie's old stuff with different genres. Also, it has a bit of a staged feel at times, it doesn't always feel like he's letting loose completely.

If you don't like the Let's Dance album, you won't like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

The new u2 one is pretty good.
    Ac/dc donnington 91

And flight 666 by maiden is a really good film aswell as live dvd. The first disc is the film, and the second disc is the tour set list except each song is from a different city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

REM - Perfect Square
    Guns n Roses - Live at the Ritz (semi-bootleg)
    The Who - Maximum RnB. more a compilation than a concert but essential, so is Royal Albert Hall 2000
    Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Live in Montreux
    Springsteen Hammersmith Odeon 1975; Live in Barcelona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ryano77

Depeche Mode - Devotional

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

Elbow Live with the BBC Orchestra....amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Live at the Apollo - Roxy Music
    TourFilm - REM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Peter Gabriel - Growing up
    The Police - Certifiable
    Rush - Snakes and arrows
    Eagles - Farewell I
    Tom Petty - Requiem for a dream
    Fleetwood Mac - The dance
    Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's
    The Cure - Trilogy
    Chickenfoot - Live
    The Killers - Live from the Royal Albert Hall
    David Gilmour - Remember that night
    Toto - Falling in between
    U2 - 360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭trellheim

the killers in the albert hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Dire Straits- Alchemy
    David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

God is in the house - Nick Cave
    Who put the M in Manchester - Morrissey
    Heart of gold - Neil Young
    Live In London - Leonard Cohen
    That Striped Sunlight Sound - the Go-Betweens
    Live In Paris - Brian Ferry
    Later with Jools - Giants/World - Not strictly concert but some great performances on these
    Live 2004 - Planxty
    Live at Shepards Bush - Goldfrapp
    Live at Somerset house - Goldfrapp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JayJay10

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    Kings of Leon - Live at the 02
    Live Aid
    David Bowie - A Reality Tour
    Duran Duran - London Live 2004
    Queen - Live Wembley 86
    Queen - Live at the Bowl
    Springsteen - Glastonbury 09
    Stone Roses - Live in Blackpool
    U2 go home[/QUOTE]

Have the Kings of Leon O2 gig myself, it really depends on what your in to, if you like KOL's latest (chart) music then this is the one for you, but if you want to see KOL in their prime i would recommend their gig in the Hammersmith Apollo in 2007 (its the 2nd disc in their re-release of "Because of the times") apart from (in my view) the songs been better theres more passion and its a lot more intimate.

Im a huge fan of Live music dvds myself, but dont get to many chances these days to look at them as my 16 month old son wants to watch balamory and bloody chuggington constanly!! :D

Anyway heres some from my collection i can personally recommend

White Stripes - Under blackpool lights
    Razorlight - This is a razorlight dvd (live from Brixton)
    Kings of Leon - Live from the Hammersmith Apollo (as mentioned above)
    Muse - H.A.R.R.P (live from Wembley)
    Muse - The Absolution tour
    Muse - Hullabaloo dvd
    Red Hot Chillis - Live from Slane
    AC/DC - Live from Donington
    Green Day - Bullet in a bible
    Arctic Monkeys - At the Apollo
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - (i actually cant remember the name on this one but its quality)
    Led Zeppelin - (This one is simply called DVD)
    Maximo Park - Found on film
    We Are Scientists - Live from Shepherds bush

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

My personal favorite is the Chillis dvd, it still blows me away everytime i watch it, no lights, strobes or props just the Chillis doin their thing!!!

Can I get some recommendations of Thin Lizzy DVDs please. I've taken a punt on a few of them and they're rubbish so far - the Rockpalast from early 80s with Snowy White was quite poor I thought, lacked a lot of the vim and spunk you know Lizzy for. There's oodles of them rubbish "review" discs around which are to be avoided but they're getting better at masking them. The greatest hits/video one is pretty useless imo.

Looking for a really good concert DVD from the heyday of the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Ladies & Gentlemen:The Rolling Stones -During their '72 tour, period around Exile on Main St. Excellent show the best live DVD of The Stones at their peak.

Who put the M in Manchester-Morrissey

Later ... with Jools Holland - Cool Britannia 1&2

Paul Weller - Live at Hyde Park/Jools Holland Live

Madness - Madstock

Btw, has anybody seen The Specials 30th anniversary tour DVD? I was thinking of buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The Go-Betweens - That Striped Sunlight Sound

The Cramps - Live at Napa State Mental Hospital (very lo-fi, but it's a must see - by the end of the set there's patients dancing on-stage with the band)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones, one of my favourite rock documentaries. Not strictly a straightup concert dvd and not suitable for 3 young kids but well worth checking out.

Queens of the Stone Age: Over the Years and Through the Woods

+1 on the Last Waltz, the Rory Gallagher 1974 tour and on the Kings of Leon at Brixton dvd (although you'll have to rebuy the album BOTT to get that one I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Can I get some recommendations of Thin Lizzy DVDs please. I've taken a punt on a few of them and they're rubbish so far - the Rockpalast from early 80s with Snowy White was quite poor I thought, lacked a lot of the vim and spunk you know Lizzy for. There's oodles of them rubbish "review" discs around which are to be avoided but they're getting better at masking them. The greatest hits/video one is pretty useless imo.

Looking for a really good concert DVD from the heyday of the 70s.

I have a good few Lizzy vids/dvds and out of all of them I would recommend this one,http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thin-Lizzy-Live-Dangerous-DVD/dp/B000VFGQUC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1298593910&sr=1-1.

Regarding Snowy White, I would never call him poor but what I would say he was never a player I would have put in Lizzy. He is like that solo and with the tours he did with Pink Floyd and Roger Waters. He just gets on with playing the guitar without the showmanship of all the other guitarists Lizzy have had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Pink Floyd - Live At Pompeii
    Rush - Exit Stage Left
    Rush - Rush In Rio
    Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
    Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 1974
    Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
    David Gilmour - Remember That Night
    Iron Maiden - Live After Death
    Queensryche - Operation LiveCrime
    The Who - Isle Of Wight 1970
    Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Sigur Ros - Heima

That is all..

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

A great double DVD from Smashing Pumpkins! The 1st DVD is a documentary following the band after they just got back together in 2007 & while they rehearse for their residency at 'The Fillmore' - San Francisco.
    Its a great DVD- and the live concert footage is amazing!
    Heres a little taster! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

Crowded House - Farewell to the World is pretty good. Glad to see you mentioned Stop Making Sense - for my money the best concert film ever made. I have a poor quality bootleg on video of REM on Rockpalast in 1984 or 85(back when they were just stunningly good) - I'd love to have that on good quality DVD. I'd also have to mention Trashcan Sinatras (yes, I know I know) Midnight At The Troubadour - great stuff.

rednik wrote: »
    I have a good few Lizzy vids/dvds and out of all of them I would recommend this one,http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thin-Lizzy-Live-Dangerous-DVD/dp/B000VFGQUC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1298593910&sr=1-1.

Regarding Snowy White, I would never call him poor but what I would say he was never a player I would have put in Lizzy. He is like that solo and with the tours he did with Pink Floyd and Roger Waters. He just gets on with playing the guitar without the showmanship of all the other guitarists Lizzy have had.
    That was taken from a Rainbow 78 gig yeah?

I see Live&Dangerous got re-released on 2CD + DVD - any idea what the DVD is?

Advertisement