Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasted money

Options
  • 10-09-2010 8:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

This Sunday as you buy your Sunday paper, check out the ads for the health service looking for personnel, the schools looking for principals, vice principals. It runs to pages. Now call the newspaper and ask how much a page, half page, quarter page costs to advertise. Now multiply it by 52 and lets see how much of the HSA and Education budget is spent on these ads. There should be a dedicated website for the HSE and Education posts that those working in those sectors should be encouraged to visit regularly....or is FREE too much for our Government Departments?
    I was on the Board of a Christian Brothers non fee-paying school once. The principal was retiring and the Christian Brother who came to advise on how we go about appointing a new principal was insistant we had to advertise the post ..... at a cost of thousands of Euro, money that could have gone to other things the school needed. This crap still goes on and its about time it was exposed! Are you reading Shane?

(Even Shane probably is BUT he cannot expose it because its exposing the cash cow the newspaper he writes for gets every week!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

This was supposed to end years ago. Get on to the Govt people involved and ask why it didn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 solutionsolver

We don't have one!
    Take Irish people who invested in Bank shares....they got wiped out (I mean the majority of people not the fat cat Bankers who lost some of their fortunes this way also)
    The 'Government', those elected to look after the Irish people decided to look after Bond holders and ensure they didn't lose their fortunes. Non nationals and institutions from abroad ---they didn't elect this 'Government'

Lesson from this is NEVER to invest in shares anywhere but if you can be a bond holder you will do ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

How do you mean he insisted on advertising the post. As in he didn't want to appoint internal or he wanted to place an ad in the newspaper?

All jobs in the public service will have to be notified via advertising you could set up a Public Service Appointments Committee website but you would still have to advertise that it is available online via traditional media.

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/home.do

By the way Government is the wrong word you should look to speak with someone involved in advertising jobs in the public service.

I am not making the point about it not being advertised of course it had to be advertised but not big costly ads for a non-fee paying school. School positions should only be advertised online (or on a mobile website) where it costs nothing and in every communication with teachers they should be encouraged to go to the site to review potential opportunites for themselves not in expensive Sunday newspapers

I am not making the point about it not being advertised of course it had to be advertised but not big costly ads for a non-fee paying school. School positions should only be advertised online (or on a mobile website) where it costs nothing and in every communication with teachers they should be encouraged to go to the site to review potential opportunites for themselves not in expensive Sunday newspapers

You do realize that even website cost money to run. And you would still have the expense of telling teachers about the site. AFAIK www.publicjobs.ie has a registration that sends you emails telling you about new opportunity in the public service including positions in Schools. By the way Fee-paying schools also get funding from the exchequer.

I do agree that www.publicjobs.ie should be advertised more strongly in newspapers to cut down on costs for schools, hospitals etc around the country. Did you mention www.publicjobs.ie to the board?

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    You do realize that even website cost money to run.

Give me a break, hosting and uploading. Can you seriously justify pages of advertising of positions in Sunday newpapers by schools, hospitals etc?

And you would still have the expense of telling teachers about the site. AFAIK www.publicjobs.ie has a registration that sends you emails telling you about new opportunity in the public service including positions in Schools.

By the way Fee-paying schools also get funding from the exchequer.
    Yes but not to give to the press its for the schools to operate

I do agree that www.publicjobs.ie should be advertised more strongly in newspapers to cut down on costs for schools, hospitals etc around the country. Did you mention www.publicjobs.ie to the board?

How does communication work in schools between the Dept and teachers/principals? email? texting ? thats the way it should be done, publicjobs.ie does not have to be advertised. Those interested know about it period.

How does communication work in schools between the Dept and teachers/principals? email? texting ? thats the way it should be done, publicjobs.ie does not have to be advertised. Those interested know about it period.

This isn't always the case. There may be people who are not necessarily interested in the position but they are suitably qualified. They may not receive emails or texts but had they known of the job may have been interested in applying for the job. You have to cast your net far and wide. (sorry for the bad phrasing).

You seem to have quote yourself in my quote. Looks like I said "Give me a Break", I wouldn't say that to another poster.
    Yes but not to give to the press its for the schools to operate

If a fee paying school gets 300 euro from the exchequer and at the same time spend 300 euro on advertising they then spend exchequer funding on advertising.
    Give me a break, hosting and uploading. Can you seriously justify pages of advertising of positions in Sunday newpapers by schools, hospitals etc?

Allot of work goes into developing a website. You seem to think I am justifying the use of money on Sunday Newspapers, I am just pointing out that information needs to be provided on many platforms.

Elmo wrote: »
    This isn't always the case. There may be people who are not necessarily interested in the position but they are suitably qualified. They may not receive emails or texts but had they known of the job may have been interested in applying for the job. You have to cast your net far and wide. (sorry for the bad phrasing).

This sums up the public service. They do, they do not seek. If they have any aspirations to progress they look not wait for someone to highlight something to them

You seem to have quote yourself in my quote. Looks like I said "Give me a Break", I just would say that to another poster.

If a fee paying school gets 300 euro from the exchequer and at the same time spend 300 euro on advertising they then spend exchequer funding on advertising.

HAHA are you Tony O'Reilly?
    The Govt wasters could have met ina room in Govt buildings this week but decided to spend a few thousand on a hotel --- to help the exchequer along LOL

Allot of work goes into developing a website. You seem to think I am justifying the use of money on Sunday Newspapers, I am just pointing out that information need to be provided on many platforms.

I'll whip up a wordpress website in a few hours one suitable for requirements. The info need only be advertised in free places i.e. a dedicated website they know about that they should check regularly for positions. If they want progression they would check in every few nights at about 8pm on their PC at home for a few mins -- or because it isn't in normal working hours this couldn't happen without a further 'productivity' payment to them

I'll whip up a wordpress website in a few hours one suitable for requirements. The info need only be advertised in free places i.e. a dedicated website they know about that they should check regularly for positions. If they want progression they would check in every few nights at about 8pm on their PC at home for a few mins -- or because it isn't in normal working hours this couldn't happen without a further 'productivity' payment to them

While your at it can you please take your points outside my quote, as you seem to be such a dab hand at this internet thing.

[ QUOTE ] opening tag [ / QUOTE ] closing tag

If a Fee paying school gets exchequer funding they should advertise their positions and courses in the same manner as non-fee paying schools.

I wonder how Wordpress makes its money ???? or boards for that matter.

It maybe a case of simply a move sideways in a different area rather than a move up. For example, there may be a qualified Principle looking for a school closer to home who may not be looking for a job and only thinks about the idea of a school closer every now and then. He/She might miss that opportunity, as might the school.

I some how don't think the Sunday Indo stopped taking ads from FAS after Shane Ross' report :)

Advertisement