Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaves from the heavens

Options
  • 10-09-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I just witnessed some freak weather pass over the Prosperous area in Kildare. It looked a little like a tornado but I decided that it couldn't be.

I've also just witnessed leaves falling from the sky after the local storm passed over.

Could it have been some sort of mini tornado?

This is a few mins after the event but you can get an idea: -
    cloudCropped.jpg

Also, you may be able to see a leaf falling here, sorry, I only had my standard lens to hand: -
    leafCropped.jpg

Pardon the dirty lens.

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It certainly does look like at least a funnel cloud. Could you see it rotating? Was it moving away from you? Do you reckon the leaves came from it or something else, because debris is an important indicator of whether a funnel touches down or not. Also what exact time was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hi,

It was at about 19:15 that I saw the leaves. The storm passed by and fizzeled out at about 19:12 I'd say. I reckon I was about .5 km from the main cloud when it was most active.

The leaves could not come from anything else as far as I can tell. In fact, the weather is quite calm apart from what just happened.

I watched very dark clouds come in from about west south west of me. It was at that time that I saw the clouds moving rapidly around the main bulk of the cloud. The latter looked wide at the top and narrowed towards the bottom. Except I couldn't see any funnel shapes. It was raining hard but ther ewas definitely strange activity around the cloud. Smaller clouds were swirling in circles and moving very rapidly.

The photo above was taken after the mass had passed over.

Awesome stuff.

EDIT: Yes, I could definitely see rotation. Lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 paddy2uk

Hi,I saw a tornado yesterday the 8th of July 2011.
    I was heading towards Dublin,driving along the M7 and had just crossed the Co Kildare border, when I noticed it in the fields on the right of the motorway. I pulled in and watched it for about five minutes,before it slowly vanished and only a small nipple was sticking out of the clouds.
    It may have appeared again afterwards but I didnt like being parked in the hard shoulder,so I drove on..

Advertisement