Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Electronics] Recomendations for grab-bags/assortment packs of components

Options
  • 10-09-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the two threads in one week. I'm getting addicted to electronics and I can't hold back. :D

What I'm looking for is a lucky bag of loads of different components (capacitors, transistors, pots, leds etc etc etc). I saw this on Jameco, but delivery/customs/charges to Ireland rule it out completely. I couldn't find anything similar on Farnell and Maplin.

Any recommendations? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Those mixed sets aren't really much use, you just get a jumble of stuff at 10 times the normal price and you won't use a tenth of it.

I'd recommend an hour on Farnell picking a few of these and a couple of those to put your own bag together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Cool; I'll do that instead! I suppose I'll have to look into technical details of parts though. I was looking at transistors and I found some cheaper than 2c (http://ie.farnell.com/fairchild-semiconductor/bc547bta/transistor-npn/dp/1504818). Surely there's some catch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Surely there's some catch?
    Nope, they're made by the hundreds of millions so they're just damn cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

Try radionics also.http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/
    They often have stuff on the shelf (They are in Rialto) and are a useful price comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

ikb wrote: »

Cheers for that. I'm going to go with Farnell, because it's cheaper, but Radionics do send some things to Cork that Farnell don't, like 7 segment displays, so I'll buy a few things there!

So far I'm planning to buy: 25 LEDs, capacitors, 1 pot, 2 dip switches, button switches, 70 transistors, 50 diodes, 2 555 timers, a buzzer, voltage regulator, another breadboard and 2 of each logic gate dip packages.

As you may guess, I approach electronics from a computer and maths background. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement