Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business or Chemistry..

Options
  • 10-09-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Ok i'm in 5th year and I picked business for the LC but I have a really bad teacher :(. I know a few people that failed last year because of the teacher. So I was thinking of changing to chemistry. The chemistry teacher is supposed to be quite good. I'm just wondering is that a hard subject? I would probably be more interested in business but with such a bad teacher maybe I should do chemistry? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lolzer

Hi.

Ok i'm in 5th year and I picked business for the LC but I have a really bad teacher :(. I know a few people that failed last year because of the teacher. So I was thinking of changing to chemistry. The chemistry teacher is supposed to be quite good. I'm just wondering is that a hard subject? I would probably be more interested in business but with such a bad teacher maybe I should do chemistry? :confused:

Yes it's difficult. But when you do well it's very rewarding. When you do well in chemistry you've reeeally done well. So take it if your up to the challenge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If you're not that interested, I would even consider Chemistry. Chem is a tough enough subject with some concepts that are difficult enough to wrap your head around (And even then, it'd only about halfway through 6th year when everything will start to click).

If you do like science though, chem is a lovely subject. Makes Respiration/Photosynthesis in Biology a little more understandable.

Basically, it's not easy, at all, but if you have the time/ability to put the effort in, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Fad wrote: »
    If you're not that interested, I would even consider Chemistry. Chem is a tough enough subject with some concepts that are difficult enough to wrap your head around (And even then, it'd only about halfway through 6th year when everything will start to click).

If you do like science though, chem is a lovely subject. Makes Respiration/Photosynthesis in Biology a little more understandable.

Basically, it's not easy, at all, but if you have the time/ability to put the effort in, go for it.
    It's not that hard. Some of it can be very difficult yes, but a huge chunk of it you just have to learn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Thanks for the replies :)

Ya i'm doing biology and I really like it so far so I think i'd like chemistry and I would be willing to put in the work.

Thanks for the replies :)

Ya i'm doing biology and I really like it so far so I think i'd like chemistry and I would be willing to put in the work.
    Work from the start and you'll be grand:D Best tip for chem=exam papers, exam papers, exam papers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'd do chemistry if you're anyway interested in it. business is a bit of a useless subject, its not quite economics or accounting and you dont cover anything in enough detail to be of use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alanaccounting

I'd do chemistry if you're anyway interested in it. business is a bit of a useless subject, its not quite economics or accounting and you dont cover anything in enough detail to be of use to you.

I would disagree with the above; business is a practical subject which will help build understanding of everyday life. It's important to get a good grasp of the fundamentals ie budgeting etc and it provides a good grounding for many courses/careers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I would disagree with the above; business is a practical subject which will help build understanding of everyday life. It's important to get a good grasp of the fundamentals ie budgeting etc and it provides a good grounding for many courses/careers

Ya thats why I picked business. I thought it would give me a good foundation if i choose to do a business course when I leave school.

Well:rolleyes:. How is knowing the advantages/disadvantages of a franchise, or a two line definition of a term practical? Plus, budgeting/accounting is limited to about 5% of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I do both Business and Chemistry:

I like Chemistry, it's so much more interesting than Business. If you're science-y and maths-y and are able to understand things. Keep in my it's nothing like JC.
    It's difficult but enjoyable. You need a good teacher though.
    On the other hand Business is easy but a bit boring. I do like it, but not near as much as Chemistry. The great thing about Business is you can make-up the answers yourself sometimes. Not possible at all with Chemistry. Plus you don't need a good teacher for Business, you just need to know everything in the book :P You could teach yourself it.

Chemistry is a lot more useful than Business though - it's required/recommended for certain college courses (Engineering/Medicine etc).
    Business is not required for any course that I know of. I'm sure you could even do a Business degree without having done Business for LC.

If you need high points: Business.
    If you're genuinely interested in Chemistry and will work: Chemistry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement