Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tigh/Teach?

Options
  • 10-09-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Dia's Muire dhaoibh! For my first time posting on this forum, I have a question about naming a house.
    Firstly, what is the significance of "tigh" as opposed to "teach"? I notice tigh is most common in Corca Dhuibhne, so presumably it is a dialect thing?
    Secondly, if you call a house "tigh xxxxxx " or "teach xxxxxx", do you put a séimhiú on the second word?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

In my experience "Tigh" seems to be used far more often in the Gaeltacht than "Teach". Any guesthouse I've seen in the Aran Islands has been called "Tigh *****".

When they used to broadcast Cinnlínte Nuachta on RTÉ 1 Siún Nic Gearailt always said "tigh" even when it was written on the autoscript as "teach".

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Yes, a séimhiú follows and in Corca Dhuibhne they pronounce it Tig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

'Tigh' is the dative case (tuiseal tabhartach) form of 'Teach' and it has tended to become the standard form of the word used in colloquial Irish in all cases since it's used so much. Using either 'Tigh' or 'Teach' in a house name would be acceptable, I reckon. It really depends on your personal preference.

A séimhiú would follow it if the word following is a proper noun (person's name or a placename) but not a common one. What word would you intend to use after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Gael wrote: »
    A séimhiú would follow it if the word following is a proper noun (person's name or a placename) but not a common one. What word would you intend to use after it?

Not definite yet, but probably using a placename after it, e.g. "Tigh Charraig" where Carraig is the name of the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It would probably be Tigh na Carraige in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Or Tigh Thaidhg from Ros na Rún... :rolleyes:

It seems to be one of the few words with a dative case, like Éire. (In Éirinn)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 michael2023

Following on from this discussion. I’m an Irish person in Scotland and naming my house “Oak house”. I intend on naming it in Irish Gaelic and was wondering if “Teach Dair” would be correct? Also would anyone know if the Scot’s Gaelic equivalent is similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Teach Darach. In Scottish Gaelic I'd put 'Taigh Daraich'

• Registered Users Posts: 2 michael2023

Would it be incorrect to use the name “Teach Doire”? We have decided on the Irish for Oak wood house as there is a small wood of oaks nearby. Alternatively “Tigh Doire”?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Being from Leinster we would have always used Teach but in the Gaeltacht used “tigh” so a little undecided.

Advertisement