Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

desire as dongle and losing charge

Options
  • 10-09-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

right.... so I'm using my desire, tethered via usb, to connect to house WiFi. so when I wake in the morning my battery is dead. yet this morning I woke it wasn't.

and another unusual thing is that when I wake I lash the dead desire to the laptop start it charging AND manage to use the WiFi... I understand that potentially the desire is using more power than is charging. but why does it sometimes charge and use WiFi and others not.

any suggestions on parameters I can check would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Do you sometimes have other USB devices connected which would draw the charge? Are these disconnected when you discover that it has charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

nope.. I've only the one working usb

Just re-reading your post there, you say you are using the Desire effectively as a usb wifi adapter - you're not using it to tether to your mobile providers gateway but to connect to an access point in your home to use your home broadband on your laptop?

That'd be the one alright... I know I know I could just buy a wifi adapter but I was hoping the desire should work as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

you have any new addons that might disable it when its not in use?
    thats my only thoughts

• Advertisement

are you saying that addons could disable charging? That sounds maad

I'd say he means that something is causing your phone to expend more power than it can draw from the USB, which is my guess too. Do you perhaps have the screen on constantly so that the wifi on the phone doesn't go to sleep or some other big battery sucking process running?

Advertisement