Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for Installing House Alarm

Options
  • 10-09-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I just got a quote for installing an alarm system in a newly built house which is pre-wired . Its for a 4 bed semi detached home.

I was quoted for a HKC system to be supplied and fitted as €650.00. This includes shock sensors and contacts on all windows and doors and a panic button in master bedroom. Also includes a motion sensor in the hallway.

The panic button can be exchanged for an extra keypad in master bedroom but at an extra cost of €125. Also as I hadnt intended on getting a phone line I asked for a price for GSM and was quoted at €375. He advised in relation to company monitoring for €12pm or installing a sim card myself and just keeping that topped up.. I suppose Im just wondering if this price is the going rate.

Thanks for any replies!!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

€650 is a good price for HKC Securewave. If its Securewatch its too dear as this is a very old system . I personally don't install them at all now.
    You could also Get Astec Fusion or Europlex SigNET for around the same price but with much more features.
    Double check the system you are getting & ensure the company is PSA Licenced.
    Other prices are around average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

+1.
    The Signet would be the best of the lot, more features and more pleasing to the eye.
    The H K C securewatch is very old and passed it's sell by date so find out which one is included in your quote

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Mona Lisa! wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I just got a quote for installing an alarm system in a newly built house which is pre-wired . Its for a 4 bed semi detached home.

I was quoted for a HKC system to be supplied and fitted as €650.00. This includes shock sensors and contacts on all windows and doors and a panic button in master bedroom. Also includes a motion sensor in the hallway.

The panic button can be exchanged for an extra keypad in master bedroom but at an extra cost of €125. Also as I hadnt intended on getting a phone line I asked for a price for GSM and was quoted at €375. He advised in relation to company monitoring for €12pm or installing a sim card myself and just keeping that topped up.. I suppose Im just wondering if this price is the going rate.

Thanks for any replies!!! :)

If it is the new HKC securewave your getting a good deal providing they are registered installers. The old HKC panel as good as it is would not be advisable to get installed as the new panel has the ability to add wire free devices, plus there secure keyfobs and other wire free devices. The keypad in the bedroom is handy for setting the alarm from the bedroom plus has a built in panic button if you do need to activate it.

The GSM your getting is also good value if it is the HKC GSM, with this GSM you will have remote access to the panel for arming/disarming plus self monitoring if that is what you require. The HKC GSM can also be connected to lights, central heating for turning on if your late home.

If you are thinking of connecting the alarm to a monitoring station there are cheaper GSMs that can be used if you dont want the remote access to the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mona Lisa!

Thanks a million for all the replies. I will give him a ring tomorrow and check out which HKC system he is using and also ensure he is registered. With regard to the GSM it is definitely a bonus that it can be armed/disarmed remotely. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Thanks a million for all the replies. I will give him a ring tomorrow and check out which HKC system he is using and also ensure he is registered. With regard to the GSM it is definitely a bonus that it can be armed/disarmed remotely. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Your welcome,

Yes do and insist he installs the securewave if using HKC plus the HKC GSM, this is the only GSM that will give you proper access to the alarm remotely.

• Advertisement

Even better, ask him to install a signet

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jnealon wrote: »
    Even better, ask him to install a signet
    Agreed. No reason why he couldn't do that for the same price.You could also upgrade to Signet 220 for around €200 . This would give you full control with remote access.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mona Lisa!

Ok so heres the update. I contacted the initial guy and he informed me that he uses HKC securewatch only for prewired houses and if I want securewave it will be an extra €50. Also he is PSA registered and the GSM Dialler is HKC. So all in I would be looking at a price of €1250 incl the gsm (self monitored) & extra keypad. This price includes contacts on all windows and shock sensors on downstairs entry points.

I then contacted a separate company!! I was quoted €450 for HKC Securewave, or €495 for the Honeywell system (which I was informed was the better system). I then enquired about the Siemens Europlex Signet system and was quoted a price of €565 for the 1st 8 openings and €350 for a GSM Dialler (signets own gsm dialler - self monitoring and ability to text to disarm and arm). Instead of using an extra keypad I was advised to get a wirefree fob which would serve the same purpose but at a cost of only €40. This price for installation includes contacts only and I was advised that shock/vibration sensors are not really any good as they can be easily bypassed. So all in for this second quote the price is €905 (plus €10 extra per shock sensor if required although not advised).

There is no reason why the SigNET is costing more.It does not cost any more than HKC.
    Certinly not €100+ more.
    There is also no reason why he should be trying to sell you a Securewatch panel over a newer option.
    My advice would be shop around for someone more honest.

Ok so heres the update. I contacted the initial guy and he informed me that he uses HKC securewatch only for prewired houses and if I want securewave it will be an extra €50. Also he is PSA registered and the GSM Dialler is HKC. So all in I would be looking at a price of €1250 incl the gsm (self monitored) & extra keypad. This price includes contacts on all windows and shock sensors on downstairs entry points.

I then contacted a separate company!! I was quoted €450 for HKC Securewave, or €495 for the Honeywell system (which I was informed was the better system). I then enquired about the Siemens Europlex Signet system and was quoted a price of €565 for the 1st 8 openings and €350 for a GSM Dialler (signets own gsm dialler - self monitoring and ability to text to disarm and arm). Instead of using an extra keypad I was advised to get a wirefree fob which would serve the same purpose but at a cost of only €40. This price for installation includes contacts only and I was advised that shock/vibration sensors are not really any good as they can be easily bypassed. So all in for this second quote the price is €905 (plus €10 extra per shock sensor if required although not advised).

I am quite amazed how he is still using the Securewatch plus to charge you extra for the Securewave. I would seriously shop around. He is installing shocks plus contacts downstairs plus contacts upstairs.

You can get a secure keyfob with the Securewave, much more secure than pressing a button on a fob to disarm/arm the alarm as you have to enter your code, also has the panic built in.

Your second quote wants to install contacts on all your windows and for them to tell you that shocks can be easily bypassed more so than a contact is a joke. With a contact the glass can be taken out of the frame without opening the window, so the alarm wont activate. With the shock properly installed and tested it will make it a lot harder for an would be intruder to get in.

Another thing about having just contacts on the windows and say installing a pir, it will more than likely be off at night to allow you to walk around the house.

• Advertisement

I think I know who you got those quotes from going by the sales pitch you got
    So my advise is to definitely shop around.

Advertisement