Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO SMOKING - Discrimination?

Options
  • 10-09-2010 2:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Looking through daft.ie and a lot of houses say 'NO SMOKERS'. Discrimination?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stay well clear of the Avia Stadium, Smoker Discrimination at it's worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Maybe. No smoking inside the house, or even within the grounds of the house would be an ok ground rule. But no smokers in general, even if they only smoked well away from the house? I suppose there is the argument that smokers would tend to smell of smoke and thus not be pleasant to be around, *shrug.

Plenty of places have criteria for housemates such as "Female only" or "No Students". Whether this is legally discrimination or not I don't know, but "No Smokers" isn't a far cry from the likes of that tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Its an assault on my basic human rights. I'm going to take this to the highest level, the European Court of Human Rights if needs be. Who's with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Denerick wrote: »
    Its an assault on my basic human rights. I'm going to take this to the highest level, the European Court of Human Rights if needs be. Who's with me?

Next you'll see signs for NO PROTESTORS

Anyway, your BASIC human rights are things you need like air, water, food and shelter. Smoking is a want - something you can do if you can satisfy the above. :pac:

*runs away*

Gulliver wrote: »
    Next you'll see signs for NO PROTESTORS

Anyway, your BASIC human rights are things you need like air, water, food and shelter. Smoking is a want - something you can do if you can satisfy the above. :pac:

*runs away*

You're worse than Hitler, good sir.

What if the add said 'No dogs, no blacks, no irish' (Admittedly it would make little economic sense to prohibit Irish people from renting in Dublin)

Smokers need to fight for their rights...

To the Supreme Court!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Answer this,

Would you let a smelly bum move into your house and stick it out and live with you?

More than likely not.

Same reason I dont want a person that stinks of smoke in my house. I want a nice fresh house.

Simple really.

PS alot of renting acoomdation says no pets

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And your farts smell of Strawberries i presume. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And your farts smell of Strawberries i presume. :rolleyes:

Farting is something natural that everyone does and that works both ways, smelling like an astray isnt:rolleyes:!

You're worse than Hitler, good sir.

What if the add said 'No dogs, no blacks, no irish' (Admittedly it would make little economic sense to prohibit Irish people from renting in Dublin)

Smokers need to fight for their rights...

To the Supreme Court!

I didn't know Hitler was a non-smoker. This puts him in a whole new light for me!

As for the ad:
    Can one help being a dog? No.
    Can one help being black? Unless you're Michael Jackson - no.
    Can one help being Irish? Not unless some other country is stupid enough to give one a passport.
    Can one help being a smoker? Yes, it's a choice.

What if I went around constantly spraying skunk piss and inhaling it? Can I has room now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Gulliver wrote: »
    I didn't know Hitler was a non-smoker. This puts him in a whole new light for me!
    He was also a tee-total vegetarian - put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• Advertisement

He was also a tee-total vegetarian - put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Ergo it stands to reason that vegetarians and the anti smoking lobby are Nazi's.

Ergo it stands to reason that vegetarians and the anti smoking lobby are Nazi's.

Room to rent, NO DOGS, NO VEGETARIANS, NO HITLERS

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread tidied up & re-opened.
    Please remember that the Smoking forum is not AH.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 39 silverhare

I seem to recall an Irish case going to the EU courts a year or two ago about a guy who wasn't given a job because he smoked. This was stated to him as the reason he was not chosen over the other candidates.

EU ruling, it's ok to discriminate against smokers. Perhaps if we had a religion that mandated smoking, or if nicotine addiction was seen as a disability we could get around that....

What gets my goat is the DAFT ads which say no smokers even though it's not a house share, ie I'd be the only tenant.

OH NO!! Third hand smoke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

silverhare wrote: »
    What gets my goat is the DAFT ads which say no smokers even though it's not a house share, ie I'd be the only tenant.
    That's understandable as not only does smoke get in your eyes, it also turns the walls a nice shade of yellow.

BTW - I'm a smoker myself.

Yellow is such a soothing colour. :D

I like to paint my home every other year (or just before I leave in the case of a shorter letting) but I guess I'm in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

smoking is something you choose to do and is a luxury

therefore why would you assume you should have the right to smoke anywhere you go??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    smoking is something you choose to do and is a luxury

therefore why would you assume you should have the right to smoke anywhere you go??

I see your point of view but if you were told that you could rent a house but not cook with Nam Pla* fish sauce would'nt you be irked?

*Very smelly but absolute essential ingredient in Thai food.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

How could it be discrimination? It didn't say no smokers,it said 'no smoking',how can you discriminate against an activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

OldGoat wrote: »
    I see your point of view but if you were told that you could rent a house but not cook with Nam Pla* fish sauce would'nt you be irked?

*Very smelly but absolute essential ingredient in Thai food.

how often would you use Nam Pla in a week - and how much effort would it be to get the smell out of the house..
    I'm sure the reason why smoking isn't allowed in the house is because the smell of smoke is so hard to get out of a house if the occupants smoke 24/7 in there...
    one of my mates moved into a new apartment there around christmas and the guy that lived there used to smoke heavily in the bedroom and the smell of smoke is still lingering on there now...

that'd be a major turn-off to a lot of possible new tenants whenever you move from the house

just like the smell of cats/dogs could be a turnoff for some people

unless you were running a restaurant from your kitchen the smell of any fish sauces or gone off food or anything would be gone in a few hours usually once you've cleaned the place off...

the smell of smoke lingers and is very hard to get rid off - it's not discrimination - how hard is it just to go out to the garden or front porch to take a smoke after all seeing as it isn't you HAVE to do to survive especially when you take a second to think how hard it's going to be to get rid of your "smell" when you move on...

it's not going to be you getting rid of it is it??? exactly - so course the guy who's renting to you should be able to decide what's allowed to go on in the house or not....

saying that - i'm sure if any of ye decided to take this to a court you'd probably win no bother but I wouldn't be one for that - if the guy doesn't want smoking in his house I can understand it and I'll move on to somewhere else out of respect but I doubt he'd have any legal basis to be able to tell me I can't smoke there either...

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    if the guy doesn't want smoking in his house I can understand it and I'll move on to somewhere else out of respect but I doubt he'd have any legal basis to be able to tell me I can't smoke there either...
    Yep thats what I'd do too, move on. However there is a precident being set and it's not about just one house it's about the majority of their houses and at that point it becomes discrimatory.

As for the frequency of using fishsauce I'd have to say not as often as I'd like too, but I do have some Thai friends who use it daily. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

OldGoat wrote: »
    ...but I do have some Thai friends who use it daily. :)

You have friends who eat Thai food daily?!
    I wouldn't be worried about the smell of that as much as the smell of their toilets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Smokers discriminated against, I think not. All the smokers I know and see totally flout our litter laws. You know its illegal to throw your buts on the ground and out car windows.

How about we treat you like everyone else who litters and fine you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

How about we treat you like everyone else who litters and fine you?
    I really do wish everyone who littered (butt-throwers included) got fined. But enforcement is extremely low and I don't think any additional leeway is given to smokers.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I really do wish everyone who littered (butt-throwers included) got fined. But enforcement is extremely low and I don't think any additional leeway is given to smokers.

This is all a little OT.

The few people I know (bar one) that have been fined for littering have all been fined over cigarette ends. The one exception was fined for dropping the notice of a littering fine for dropping the end of a rollie down a drain.

Enforcement may be somewhat lax but I did have a run in with a litter warden who tried to issue a preemptive fine when he saw me standing on a corner having a little ol' cigarette. Boy was his face red when I pulled a portable ashtray from my pocket before advising him that his actions in this instance could be construed as harassment.

I'm all in favour of the littering fines no matter what is dropped on the streets. I'd also like to see more dog wardens issuing fines.

Wandering far off topic now. Littering is really a separate issue.

The OP was asking if a ban on smokers by a property dealer is discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I've just moved into a house and the previous tenents were smokers (as am I). The place was disgusting and anywhere the agent hadn't repainted, was covered in layers of brown gunk (the brown curtain poles were gold once I'd given them a quick wash.)

I suppose it depends on cleaning habits, give the walls a quick wash and wash the drapes and soft furnishings to get rid of the smell. Easy-peasy. (Completely irrelevent because the OH won't let me smoke in the house. :()

It's not whether you are a smoker or not, but what type of tenent you are.

Yes, it is discrimination because even non-smokers can be complete and utter pigs.

Advertisement