Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on selling horses

Options
  • 10-09-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy all, first post in here.

My brother is looking to sell horses, he has 12 as far as i know and i said i would give him a hand. I was going to do up data sheets for each one (or a template so he could continue it on) but as i know very little about horses and what prospective buyers are looking for im just looking for advice on what information to put down on the sheets, outside of age and gender?

Any help would be great, they are an unusual breed but i reckon the pertinent information remains the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Barn name/pet name
    Registered name (if applicable)
    Breed
    Sire
    Dam
    Previous health issues
    Shoeing requirements (if applicable)
    Stage of training (e.g. green, bombproof, light groundwork, dressage champ, whatever)
    Type of training (hunting, jumping, racing, dressage, western, whatever, just details of what they'd be good for)
    Height in hands
    Temperament/Demeanour
    Amount of offspring (if applicable)
    Last worm date
    Last shoeing date
    Last vet check
    Colour
    Markings

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Best to include a passport photo (side view, all legs and markings visible).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

liah wrote: »
    Barn name/pet name
    Registered name (if applicable)
    Breed
    Sire
    Dam
    Previous health issues
    Shoeing requirements (if applicable)
    Stage of training (e.g. green, bombproof, light groundwork, dressage champ, whatever)
    Type of training (hunting, jumping, racing, dressage, western, whatever, just details of what they'd be good for)
    Height in hands
    Temperament/Demeanour
    Amount of offspring (if applicable)
    Last worm date
    Last shoeing date
    Last vet check
    Colour
    Markings

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Best to include a passport photo (side view, all legs and markings visible).

Thanks for that - i'll throw something together based on this anyways. There is no selling allowed here, but would it be possible to put it up for feedback when i have one done? Should i PM a mod about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Safest bet is to PM a mod, yeah. Alternatively you can post a message asking readers to PM you if they would be able to give you feedback, if you can't post it itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

We're happy enough to leave this thread as it's not actually selling horses, just looking for information on how to go about it.

Just a thought: you might like to add in that the horse has 'no vices', or, if it does, you are obliged to notify the prospective buyers - e.g. weaving, crib biting, wind sucking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Look at a selection of other adverts to show you the best wording for an ad. You can find them on the internet and in equestrian magazins and even some papers. You always find handy little phrases to throw in.

They can also give you an idea of the worth of the horse and how much that standard of horse is making these days. Of course, there are always one or two people on these things that chance their arm a little and put mad prices for a horse worth less.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

sup_dude wrote: »
    Look at a selection of other adverts to show you the best wording for an ad. You can find them on the internet and in equestrian magazins and even some papers. You always find handy little phrases to throw in.

I looked on donedeal and horses for you initially but they most of the adverts were two sentences long!
    sup_dude wrote: »
    They can also give you an idea of the worth of the horse and how much that standard of horse is making these days. Of course, there are always one or two people on these things that chance their arm a little and put mad prices for a horse worth less.:rolleyes:

My brother will be pricing them, he isnt selling them all but would sell a couple if he gets what he wants for them. His wife on the othr hand is delighted everytime he fails to sell one :pac:

Thanks for the help everybody. Ill play it safe by the charter if i am looking for feed back and i might put up the template with made up details filled in and a pic from google images.

Thanks again everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I looked on donedeal and horses for you initially but they most of the adverts were two sentences long!

Do you get the Dealer? It would be my advice not to put in two sentence long adverts unless you have to. It applys that (a) the owner knows nothing about them or (b) there is nothing worthwhile to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tizzyowner

If you are looking on donedeal for helpful examples please note: 'quite' means almost or nearly; 'quiet' means not lively or loud and in the case of a horse, an animal that is well behaved and easy to manage. There is no such thing as a quite horse.

Other potential pitfalls are:

mayor for mare
    screwball for skewbald
    fole for foal
    to for too or two
    bombproof for any live horse

for many more see donedeal

Tizzyowner wrote: »
    If you are looking on donedeal for helpful examples please note: 'quite' means almost or nearly; 'quiet' means not lively or loud and in the case of a horse, an animal that is well behaved and easy to manage. There is no such thing as a quite horse.

Other potential pitfalls are:

mayor for mare
    screwball for skewbald
    fole for foal
    to for too or two
    bombproof for any live horse

for many more see donedeal

Yey! I'm not the only one who finds this annoying! :D

It looks pretty bad, in my opinion, but then I'm a grammar nazi, so I thought I was just being over fussy! There's lots of those ads in Buy and Sell, too, but I wasn't sure if it was being edited by someone who wasn't familiar with 'horsey language' and was getting it a bit wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

ahahahah that thing about "quite" horses gets me every time, people really need to take 2 minutes to use the spellcheck!!

make sure to include whether or not each horse is good to box, shoe and clip - you'll see it in a lot of ads, these are three things most people will look for in a prospective horse as it says a lot about their temperament when the rider is on the ground. i personally dont think id ever buy a horse that didnt load or travel well.

Advertisement