Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uPVC Widows and Doors Guarantee??

Options
  • 10-09-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Reading posts here over the past months, self builders and renovators have sought advice on all aspects of windows and doors, colours, fading, locks, glass, double/triple glazed etc. In the Prices/Costs section recomendations have been sought about suppliers and discussion on quotes etc.

some replies have referred to the guarantee, and so I thought I would post my thoughts on aspects of a Guarantee, based on my experiences over years in the window game.

The primary guarantee is on the PVC itself, fading, changing colour, foil coming off, this eminates from the PVC manufacturer, and is usually for 10 yrs.

The product now is sold to a Window Fabricator, who adds on a guarantee for the bits he does, weld, hinges, locks, glazing, but the ancillary guarantee actually comes from the manufacturer of that product, i.e lock, hinge etc.

The window is now sold to a fitter who offers the householder typically a 10 yr guarantee, but he only fits the window.

What happens if someone falls out of this chain, say the Window Fabricator goes out of business, well the PVC manufacturer has no contract further down the chain, and the fitter has no Fabricator to go back to.

If its the Fitter who goes out of business, neither the manufacturer or the fabricator has any contract with the householder.

If business's carried on there books a fund to satisfy potential claims, all would be OK, or if they carried Insurance, again OK but this rarely happens, especially, a couple of guys with a van who sell and fit windows.

I hope this post will help self builders who are about to make a purchase decision, or a renovator choosing a product.

To Mod's. i do not intend this to be a post on a legal issue, and hope it's suitable for this forum. If not please move/delete at your discression.

Advertisement