Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

black upvc windows

Options
  • 10-09-2010 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

was just wondering what are peoples experience of using black Upvc windows. Thinking about putting them in , but am slightly concerned about expansion and contraction of window frame and any potential fading of the black as the house is south facing, Any advice especially from people who have them installed themselves would be appreciated

Comments

I have black windows and patio doors, the patio doors need to be adjusted each spring and autumn to shut properly, the windows are not a problem as the openings are small enough for it not to be an issue.

No problems (so far) with fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭musgravedk

many thanks donalbaker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi

potential problems are due to heat absorption, black absorbes heat, white deflects it, hence expansion especially south facing.

You should have no problems with windows, except if they are very large, Doors are a different issue, as any expansion will effect locks, recievers, and make locking the doors a problem, hence previous poster having to adjust patio twice a year.

With regard to fading, good quality upvc will not fade, if it does its covered by your guarantee, usually 10-15yrs.

Remember however that the guarantee comes from the upvc manufacturer, and passes through the fabricator, to the fitter, to you. Any break in this chain, i.e fitter goes out of business, and the chain is broken resulting in you being on your own.

Good Luck with windows

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭musgravedk

Thanks martinn123 i suppose i just looking to put my mind at ease

Advertisement