Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush Blocking

Options
  • 10-09-2010 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

I stumbled accross this in an aborted early raid attempt.
    I dont have a replay to show i am afraid.

Playing as terran vs Protoss

I started off going for an early rush by building a barracks near the enemy base. Rush didnt work but i had a barracks, a bunker and an SCV just out of reach of the ramp. I kept building up and ringed it with bunkers, AA and artillery. I threw up AA at my main base because i figured that all he would have to do would hit me quickly by air and id be toast. My main force was sitting outside his base keeping him boxed in(3M, Marine, marauder & Medievac.

He tried to build up another base but i had a few vikings patrolling watching for other build points. I kept absorbing his attacks and kept building up in other map points. He lost because he could not break the blockade i put on his base and GG'ed.

Another game i played and someone tried something similar with me.Except i air'ed up immediatly. Got some vikings and snuck out to his base(If you build detector towers, make sure they cover all angles ;) ). Dropped in and made merry with his poorly defended buildings/SCVs. He managed to push me back out of his base but not before i had crippled him and he eventually GG'ed.

So anyone else use rush blocking? Is it commonly used?

Any other thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I like to do your first strategy. Starve him of resources. Rather than building static defenses, I just have a pylon hidden near his ramp and keep a mobile army near his entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

as zerg i straight to make some lings+(5) baneling bust asap. alternately, i can nydus him then can be a gg straight lol. sad that i will never be able to contain the opponent with my cannon/bunker :( cannon pylon block is pretty common for protoss thats all i know.

i can somehow make spine with a little trick but i dont think they are that effective :pac: maybe i can give it a try next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

The fact that the protoss couldn't break your contain means that he's rather bad. Warp gate + an out lying pylon means that he can simply warp in **** outside his base, run it to yours and rape it. One base colossus is also very good at breaking such a contain, hell he should have been able to break it with gateway units + immortals.

EDIT : Contains are widely used, usually by terran, notably early bunker contains by terran on zerg main ramps by building 2x bunker early on, sitting a marine or two in there. There is also the BW style slow push with terran, less popular due to tanks being 3? food and the marauder.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Contains are used but can be broken at around the 7 minute mark if the player is any good which depending on how much you put into the contain can give him the advantage. As a toss it's pretty much impossible to contain with just buildings, but one thing I like to do it put a pylon at the zergs natural, this provides two things. The zerg will be gas starved and not be able to make that many units so the most likely compisition that he will come out with is going to be roach/ling and the pylon also acts as a proxy which is great. Although If I do this I have to guard the pylong with a few zealots because lings can easily destroy it as soon as it's been made.

PvZ 2 pylon 1 cannon contain @ ramp -> f/e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Whaddya mean you don't have a replay OP, did you delete it from the replay folder? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

So anyone else use rush blocking? Is it commonly used?

Have seen it from time to time but seeing as I play as terran i either seige tank it to death or air lift troops behind him. Usually beaten fairly easily.

I do like to block later in the game if i can as at that stage it is generally game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Oh im strictly in the bronze league at the moment. Havent got the knack down yet.

I thought you had to spefically click the "Save replay" button afterwards. I confess i havent been doing that?

Oh in case i wasnt clear. I had static defenses to start but built up a large force to sit behind them for any attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    PvZ 2 pylon 1 cannon contain @ ramp -> f/e.

Any half decent Z player would stop that straight away.

Any half decent Z player would stop that straight away.
    It's the poor man's version of 2 bunker + 2 marine. Nice if the zerg's f/ed, buys time since toss doesn't f/e quite as fast. How're you going to stop the pylons warping in unless you have a drone set to patrol there? You could pull even more drones to kill the pylons of course. It's not as common as the terran ver but used a fair bit in korea nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Buster_Gonnads

Heres 2 games of me doing what the OP is talking about ( I think). Maybe not so much contain. But the point of this is to keep hitting opponent to break his eco and stop him getting Artillary/Colossus etc out to kill my forward.

I'm new to SC, (was an AOE player before). Sorry if the games a re a bit newbie I only just made Diamond and still don't fully understand the units etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jazzme

beating a marine, siege tank rush will be very difficult for a zerg player early on the game. Once I see that coming out from the choke its almost unstoppable. Spine crawler, burrowed banelings will be the best defence but its a hit and miss. If a siege tank survives my base is destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Yup terran rush can be nasty

Try just building pure zerglings and nothing else, if you get speed you'll be pretty surprised. They will rip down attacking terran pushes, and zerg or protoss if they are teching

Obviously after 6 mins or so will become redundant

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

lings versus tanks is bad for tanks but who the hell sends out tanks alone? Lings versus marines and tanks = a lot of dead lings.

Not being able to choke is a major issue when EVERY map is built with specific choke points deliberately put on the map so the Zerg suffer there. Any attempt to block their expansion is going to be attacked on site by any half decent Zerg player as said above.

You might manage to sneak this on a map where the first expansion plateau is very large and the other player doesnt see you building but my first action is to send my incredibly slow overlord out to my ramp so I get eyes on whats coming. Overlords have no real other use haha

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

DeVore wrote: »
    Overlords have no real other use haha

Besides drop ships, mobile creep highway generators, and vision across the entire map. Spreading out overlords across the map helps you see incoming terran drops and force move outs. They also help you avoid target firing your unit ball if you put them clumped overhead.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Two improvements needed to make them carriers, both take much needed resources and time. Spreading them out over the map is ASKING to have your supply ripped apart, zerglings do a similar job at a fraction of the cost and you HAVE to build Zerglings.

I'd trade all of the above for a building which I could use to choke the ramp and raise and lower as I see fit! :)

DeV.

Advertisement