Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of a Concrete Stairs ...

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Just wondering if anyone ever removed a concrete stairs from an almost finished new build ?

I know it is a mad thing to do, or even think about doing, but it just does not work right, so want to get rid, and put in a timber stairs.

Have contacted the supplier but so far has been no help.

Has anyone ever even heard of it being done or am I just off my head ? :confused:

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Everything is possible but to remove a precast conc stairs could be expensive.
    It would be easier if the 1st floor or roof wasn't installed.

Demolition is possible - kangoo, sledge & con-saw - subject to strict Health & Safety guidelines.

OP whats wrong with the stairs?
    Can it be adjusted, recast or altered without having to be removed?
    A photo would be useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

Be sure its not providing lateral stability to a large wall panel subject to wind load. No doubt the engineer involved will advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chrusty1973

Tks for replys,

I've added a couple of pics ....

When coming in the front door the stairs is too much in your face, so going to out in a more simple L type woodens stairs. It will open up the hall.

Pic 1 is a look at it from the side
    Pic 2 is when you walk in the front door.

Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get it cut out if you have a better plan. Will cost a few quid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Hi chrusty1973,
    The photo's are very useful. At least it should be possible to cut the L in sections small enough to be removed out a door ope, on a pallet trolley or wheelbarrow. I'd prop the middle & work from the top down. It will be labour intensive and therefore expensive.

I'm not sure if a L shaped timber stairs will be any less imposing, given that the hall, landing, floor to ceiling heigh etc will remain the same. Stair width, riser & treads are all governed by the Building Regulations.

The existing stairs will look better with a hand rail and after second fix - doors, architrave, skirting etc.
    How will the L shaped timber stairs be different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Why not clad the existing stairs in timber, done this before, fitted strings, solid threads and risers, hand rails, spindles..

It would certainly work out cheaper...Any joinery should be able to quote you a price to supply timber. And fit perhaps....

Advertisement