Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inert US Pineapple grenade?

Options
  • 09-09-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hello All...

Just wondering if any of you guys would know where I could purchase an inert (or even a decent looking metal replica) US pineapple grenade (with all fittings and pin).
    I'd prefer buy within Ireland to avoid any shipping or customs problems.

- Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Dan,the army surplus store in Midleton in Cork were selling cast replica's with original fittings the last time I visited there but not sure if they do mail order,these are done with the main body still to be painted,I think somewhere around the twenty euro mark.I would imagine most army surplus stores would have similar and may even be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Thought this link may be interesting :

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0909/device.html
    Devices made safe in Dublin, Offaly

Thursday, 9 September 2010 20:52

Army bomb disposal experts have made safe an old shell that was found at a house in Dún Laoghaire in Dublin.

The alarm was raised after workmen discovered the device during renovations at the house on Northumberland Avenue this afternoon.

Elsewhere, a live War of Independence-era grenade was made safe in Co Offaly this afternoon.

The Defence Forces deployed a bomb disposal team to a field in Cloneygowan in response to a request from the gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Morlar wrote: »
    Thought this link may be interesting :

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0909/device.html

How much money, time and man power goes into this type of thing? The grenade (if still live) OK but the shell was an empty shell. Over the years, Ive read story after story, of collectors been raided, collections of inert shells/ bullets destroyed. Bayonets been seized from collectors. Items found in the post such as old flintlocks getting the intended owner the same police attention as if it were an AK47 been shipped to them.

Even a collector I know, who collected cap badges, was asked "what dead soldier, did this come from?"

Im sure you have all had/heared stories like this before. Is it ever going to stop here?

To the OP: Any of the shows held around the country, usualy have a stall or two selling inert stuff. Not sure if there are any more shows planned for this year. Might have to wait until next year. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

you will have fun getting anything that looks like a grenade through customs.
    i was watching border control or one of these reality shows the other night and they evacuated the airport when they thought they saw a grenade on their screens. it turned out to be a grenade belt buckle.

As an FYI there is another ww2 era bomb disposal callout today :

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/wwii-era-grenade-found-in-kildare-shed-478210.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Just came across this thread so sorry for the bump:o

You can get various inert grenades from an airsoft website here:

http://www.seairsoft.net/view_subs.php?subcatid=66&subcat=Hardware

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Blay wrote: »
    Just came across this thread so sorry for the bump:o

You can get various inert grenades from an airsoft website here:

http://www.seairsoft.net/view_subs.php?subcatid=66&subcat=Hardware

:)

Thanks Blay,
    that's exactly what I was looking for. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

about customs, anyone see the MG34 which was "dangerously close" to working order. it was seized and destroyed.

i dont remember them mention in the end if the importer had a licence or not, they may have done.

Mousey- wrote: »
    about customs, anyone see the MG34 which was "dangerously close" to working order. it was seized and destroyed.

i dont remember them mention in the end if the importer had a licence or not, they may have done.

I changed channels last night just in time to see about a half second of them showing the barrel and then the voice over said something like '. . . was later siezed and destroyed'. And also something about how it could potentially be re-activated at a later date.

Man what a total waste - I wasn't sure if that was an original WW2 item, but I am guessing now from what you are saying that it was. They just should not be allowed to do that.

From what I could gather it was correctly purchased and I did not hear any mention of import licence issues and it was de-activated, the gist of it seemed to be that they didn't like the way it was de-activated.

I have nothing against customs whatsoever but from the rest of that programme they seemed to be playing up to the camera. It would be pretty horrific to see an item of WW2 militaria destroyed just in order for some customs people to appear tough on tv. For christ sake the other night they showed professional counterfeit cigarette importers moving cargo by the container load into this country and selling openly in markets around Ireland so Customs meanwhile has these guys are resourced to destroying ww2 items. I think they should have offered the owner the choice to meet their preferred de-activation criteria at his own cost if this was really the only issue.

I really hope to fcuk they aren't in such a hurry to do that to original Rising or War of Independence items.

Advertisement