Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a non-smoker with Champix!

Options
  • 09-09-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello all, my first post here so bear with me!
    I'm 32 now & smoking since I was 12 - on around 15 to 20 a day & any time I think of giving up my mind goes into overdrive with panic so I never end up even trying!
    Some-one mentioned Champix to me today in passing so I've been reading through some of the older threads here about it & am getting quite excited.
    I've a plan in my head now to go to the doctor next week (have to wait for pay-day!) & starting on it straight after.
    I also have an extra incentive, my girlfriend is due our first child in November, so both for health & financial reasons I really want this to work!
    So my reason for this thread is to hear of other people's experiences with Champix and maybe get some tips to help to whole process work better, I really want to give up the damn things but never really feel able...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kbbucks

Ok for anyone interested went to the doctor yesterday (1 month later!...) & got the first 2 weeks worth of tablets yesterday evening.

Just took the first one so I'll update of any ill-effects!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

watch for changes in your personality. First month you may not be able to sleep or have weird dreams, etc. once the pills build up in your system the side effect will become more severe. you need to read the pamphlet you have been given on the side effects - yes there are a lot but you need to be prepared. If you feel your personality changing get off the pills straight away.

Thanks for the advice, although they didn't give any pamphlet with the tablets in the chemist!..
    I did ask the doctor about side effects & he said that most people don't really get any but if you do it will affect your sleep + the vivid dreams.
    Anyway I'll try & keep an eye on my mood... - could that have anything to do with the lack of nicotine (or any of the other chemicals in cigarettes) in your system do you think?
    Have you been on the tablets?

yes, I have been on the pills and they were fine for the first few weeks, but started to affect my personality in the second month.

I find it strange that you did not receive any pamphlet with your pills - listing the side effects, and other advice. Also, how did you receive your pills - they come in a package for a month, with the days listed. Your pills (2 weeks worth) sound a bit strange to me - are you sure they are champix.

Also, my doctor said there would no side effects - she was wrong. Some doctors won't give out these tablets at all because of their side effects. They are still a fairly new tablet.

Ya they're champix alright (see attached), the doctor told me that 1 in 5 people have to stop taking them after a few days because of very bad nausea & sleep issues so due to the cost of them & the risk of the above he initially prescribed only 2 weeks worth of tablets with the rest to be collected from the same prescription if all is ok after that.
    He's dead right though, 53 quid for only 2 weeks of tablets! - & I will ask them in the chemist when I get the rest about the pamphlet..

On day 5 now, up to 2 tablets a day since yesterday but as of now still smoking the same amount & haven't really noticed any difference.
    No nausea & sleeping fine but that could all change Friday when the dose doubles again...

Did you manage to go off the smokes that time?

• Advertisement

kbbucks wrote: »
    Ya they're champix alright (see attached), the doctor told me that 1 in 5 people have to stop taking them after a few days because of very bad nausea & sleep issues so due to the cost of them & the risk of the above he initially prescribed only 2 weeks worth of tablets with the rest to be collected from the same prescription if all is ok after that.
    He's dead right though, 53 quid for only 2 weeks of tablets! - & I will ask them in the chemist when I get the rest about the pamphlet..

On day 5 now, up to 2 tablets a day since yesterday but as of now still smoking the same amount & haven't really noticed any difference.
    No nausea & sleeping fine but that could all change Friday when the dose doubles again...

Did you manage to go off the smokes that time?

yes I managed to stay off the smokes thank goodness. the nausea and the lack of sleep/bizarre dreams are side effects that are fine and you can deal with - however the more the pill builds up in your system the more side effects you will suffer - just alert your family and friends that you might be feeling out of sorts, or they might see a change in you- so they will know it is the pills. Also be aware of any changed in your attitude yourself. For me it was in week 7 - 9 that the changes came. Most other people I spoke to had the same effects with some actually going back on the smoking because of the side effects. Also bear in mind that a lot of doctors refuse to prescribe champix because of the bad side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iruptus

yes I managed to stay off the smokes thank goodness. the nausea and the lack of sleep/bizarre dreams are side effects that are fine and you can deal with - however the more the pill builds up in your system the more side effects you will suffer - just alert your family and friends that you might be feeling out of sorts, or they might see a change in you- so they will know it is the pills. Also be aware of any changed in your attitude yourself. For me it was in week 7 - 9 that the changes came. Most other people I spoke to had the same effects with some actually going back on the smoking because of the side effects. Also bear in mind that a lot of doctors refuse to prescribe champix because of the bad side effects.
    hey bud!! i tryed that **** and ZYBAN and patches the whole lot!! i smoked for 30yrs, and the one thing that has worked for me is the alan carr dvd!!! i downloaded it for free and it was the best thing i ever done... no come downs no ****e man it worked for me.. give it a go man.. it wont do ya any harm to try!! you can download it from btjunkie or kickasstorrents!! alan carrs easyway ..

Good work on staying off them, I'll get my girlfriend etc to keep an eye on my mood, I'm generally very laid-back so should be handy to spot any changes...
    iruptus wrote: »
    hey bud!! i tryed that **** and ZYBAN and patches the whole lot!! i smoked for 30yrs, and the one thing that has worked for me is the alan carr dvd!!! i downloaded it for free and it was the best thing i ever done... no come downs no ****e man it worked for me.. give it a go man.. it wont do ya any harm to try!! you can download it from btjunkie or kickasstorrents!! alan carrs easyway ..

I went to a work-sponsored Alan Carr workshop about 10 years ago but was smoking again that night!... - probably wasn't in the right mind-frame anyway at the time, I really want to give them up this time...
    I have an Alan Carr book at home somewhere so must find that & start reading it as well, could be more effective this time.

iruptus wrote: »

tried it loads of times - didn't do a thing for me.

I think with all of these aids - including the pills - you need to have the right attitude in your head. I know that I really really wanted to be rid of the cigarettes this time- I hated going outside to have one - I was bored smoking them - I wanted to be off them for once and for all, and I managed to do it.

The dose of tablets doubled again today so up to 2mg a day now, feel fine so far but will have a better idea after a few days of the 2mg dose.
    Not smoking as much the last few days, on about 10 -12 a day rather than 15 - 20 a day, not a huge drop but hopefully will keep going down.

Pretty sure I'm not enjoying the cigarettes as much now & the 'drop everything on the hour every hour on pain of death' smoke has turned into the 'ah finish whatever you're doing & go for one after' smoke...

• Advertisement

Finishing the 2 week 'starter kit' today so need to get the next month's supply this evening.

No real side-effects yet, feel rough enough for about half an hour some times after taking a tablet, doesn't really matter whether I've eaten of not, but that's about it so far.

Still smoking though, only having 5 or 6 a day for the last few days but not sure if I'm ready to go a full day without one yet....
    I'm generally going about 3 or 4 hours between cigarettes but have heavy enough cravings on the hour between those, maybe this is just from the habit?

Had set tomorrow as the stop smoking date but dunno if I'm able to completely stop yet...

Anyone else take longer than 14 days to quit completey?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Give them up today lad you wont look back im on day 30 of the tablet i havent smoked since day 10, i used smoke 20 to 25 a day and the first few days were though but im delighted with myself now..GOOD LUCK..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my girlfriend is on ...well..was on champix for the first month of giving up.....she was never given a 2week starter pack !!

....the first pack allows you to smoke for the first week of taking the tablets - from reading your posts it sounds like your doc tried to get you to week off the cigarettes over a longer period of time.

I noticed some changes in her behaviour - she's almost 6 weeks off the cigarettes now - her attitute is that if she can survive a month (using the champix) then she should be able to use will-power to stay off (she's been smoking approx 20 a day for over 15years)

there was a major change once she stopped taking the tablets - but she's almost 2weeks chemical free(no cigarette and no champix) ....it is tough - at one point she told me she'd trade me for a cigarette.

have you been replacing the hand to mouth action (ie. carrott sticks or other veg to eat)

from reading the thread it seems like champix takes control after the first month - so be prepared to give up champix.

She still loves the smell of people smoking and gets cravings (although not as severe now - wonder if she'd still consider trading me for a cigarette ?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Finishing the 2 week 'starter kit' today so need to get the next month's supply this evening.

No real side-effects yet, feel rough enough for about half an hour some times after taking a tablet, doesn't really matter whether I've eaten of not, but that's about it so far.

Still smoking though, only having 5 or 6 a day for the last few days but not sure if I'm ready to go a full day without one yet....
    I'm generally going about 3 or 4 hours between cigarettes but have heavy enough cravings on the hour between those, maybe this is just from the habit?

Had set tomorrow as the stop smoking date but dunno if I'm able to completely stop yet...

Anyone else take longer than 14 days to quit completey?

hi there,i'm the same age as you and smoked roughly the same as you too,last year i gave up the smokes with out any tablets or dvds just plain old willpower, by using these things you are prolonging the pain it's like water torture, if you want to give them up you have to be strong and just say no,i mean your still smoking 5 or 6 a day anyway which probably means ten,basically your kidding yourself and clinging on,when you realise this and admit it to yourself then you will be able to give up,the way i motivated myself was to look daily at the anti smoking sites to read the benefits of not smoking and thought of my young kids who wanted me to quit.its a terrible example to set by smoking in front of them,and the smoke clings to your clothes which is terrible if your then going in and holding the baby(congrats by the way )and you know the funny thing is,the first three days were a nightmare and after that it was plain sailing,if you want to give them up just do it mate no gimicks or short cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 26 linda101

hi i am on day 23 of champix havent had a cig since day 10 im 37 and smokoing since i was 14 up to 30 a day so far so good :)

[Hey all, haven't been on in 2 weeks or so, our baby arrived 2 weeks early on the 29th so it's been all go ever since - he's fine & healthy & in flying form though so all is well!

With regards the cigarettes the day he was born was the start of the 3rd week on the tablets & even with the extra incentive I couldn't give them that final push - was smoking only 2 or 3 a day & didn't even want those but still felt like I had to have them!

So finally on day 23 (last Saturday) I was heading out for a few drinks & decided that was it, the next morning I'm not smoking & I didn't & haven't since - day 6 smoke-free now!

The first 3 days were surprisingly easy but days 4, 5 & today I'm finding a bit tougher & I would reckon only for the tablets deadening the cravings somewhat I'd be back on them.

Anyway I'm confident I can stay off them now & hopefully the cravings will start to lessen from now on.

With regard the tablets though I do generally feel quite a bit sick after taking the 2nd one of the day (first one is always fine) for about an hour or so after. I've seen some people say to only take half the tablet or whatever but don't think I will for a while, I probably still need the full hit from it to keep the cravings at bay!
    have you been replacing the hand to mouth action (ie. carrott sticks or other veg to eat)

Haven't had a problem there yet, it's generally after I do something that I would normally have gone for a smoke before, but I presume that association will lessen the longer I don't smoke.. (hopefully anyway! :))
    she was never given a 2week starter pack !!

Might have just been the doctor I went making sure I didn't waste money on the full supply if I wasn't able to take them.

Day 17 smoke-free & going well so far!
    The cravings seemed to be getting worse last week & I was close to cracking on Saturday night, it was my first night out drinking since I gave them up so I was delighted when I got through it without having one, it really was some struggle though! Coincidentally I dropped down to 1 tablet a day on Saturday because the 2nd one of the day was making me feel too sick lately. Anyway since Sunday the cravings have been easing alot so hopefully halving the dose won't set me back any bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 linda101

hi all im heading into wk 5 now smoke free and still cant belive it :) still on the tabs have to stay on them for 12 wks

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Im 6 Weeks smoke free on the champix, and in my 8th week on the program. Anyone following the Liferewards.ie Website? I had been getting emails of support but they stopped and now I can't seem to access the site at all....?

linda101 wrote: »
    hi all im heading into wk 5 now smoke free and still cant belive it :) still on the tabs have to stay on them for 12 wks

Im 6 Weeks smoke free on the champix, and in my 8th week on the program.

Are both of you still on 2 tablets a day?, I've knocked it back to one a day but dunno if I should grit my teeth & go back to the 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Are both of you still on 2 tablets a day?, I've knocked it back to one a day but dunno if I should grit my teeth & go back to the 2?

I Have 5 days of the second pack of tablets left, visiting my GP on Friday morning and he did suggest when he gave me the first follow on pack, that I may be ready to come down to just one a day on the third pack. Will post when I have seen him. Incidentially the nightmares and disturbed sleep patterns have all but dissappeared at this stage :)

I Have 5 days of the second pack of tablets left, visiting my GP on Friday morning and he did suggest when he gave me the first follow on pack, that I may be ready to come down to just one a day on the third pack. Will post when I have seen him. Incidentially the nightmares and disturbed sleep patterns have all but dissappeared at this stage :)

My sleep & dreams etc are generally as normal, my problem was I was feeling very sick for about an hour & a half or so after taking the 2nd one of the day so I stopped taking it last week. I'm presuming both tablets are exactly the same but it's a bit strange the 2nd one is effecting me that much.
    I must get the next month of tablets soon so I'll see what they say in the chemist (the doctor gave me a repeat prescription).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 suemc

My sleep & dreams etc are generally as normal, my problem was I was feeling very sick for about an hour & a half or so after taking the 2nd one of the day so I stopped taking it last week. I'm presuming both tablets are exactly the same but it's a bit strange the 2nd one is effecting me that much.
    I must get the next month of tablets soon so I'll see what they say in the chemist (the doctor gave me a repeat prescription).
    My first tablet is making me sick , for about half an hour , I'm on day 13 of champix day one of no fags , I'm finding it a little hard ....I need help .....

Advertisement