Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax Foxsat HDR DISEqC problem?

Options
  • 09-09-2010 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Greetings!

So I got my gear installed and so far, so good, sort of. My set up goes a little like this (see attached).

I can set up the DISEqC mode, no bother. I used these instructions:

http://foxsat-hdr.wikispaces.com/DiSEqC

Problem is, when I want to switch to Freesat, do I go back to the menu, select Freesat Tune and have to tune in all the channels again? Same applies when I want to go back to Hotbird mode.

At least that is how I've been doing it so far. It's annoying but I can live with it I guess.

I put unknown for the second cable from the quad LNB as I haven't checked yet to see where it's going. It's surely plumbed in though as recording works fine on Freesat. Incidentally I was also able to record Al Jazeera Sports fine on Hotbird when I ran a quick test.

So what do I need to do to get my set up working properly?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

From what I've read, the requirement to retune the channels with the Humax can't be overcome - it's a 'feature' of the firmware. Realistically, if you're going to be doing a lot of watching on 19E or 13E, you'd be better off getting a FTA receiver as well.

I'd put the second output from the Quad going directly to Tuner 2 input - it doesn't make any sense to pass it through the Diseqc switch. Your link describes the same setup - Diseqc to T1 and 2nd 28E feed to T2.

Off topic, but what application did you use to draw up the diagram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Thanks for the tips Apogee. Thing is, I think the installer trimmed all the cables up and set it up this way so I don't really want to have to lay out a bunch of notes on a cable rerun again.

I was thinking about getting another receiver but I'm happy with the Humax and to be honest I only want to switch over to Hotbird once a week for Barcelona games. More if it's Copa del Rey and/or Champions League or Spain/England Internationals.

The retune is annoying but I wonder how the Wiki instructions have both satellites on the one list. I just can't see how to set that up. I don't mind losing the fancy EPG for the simple list. That's grand. I just want to knock the annoying retuning on the head!

As for the OT question, sure, I used this: http://www.gliffy.com/

Tried to make my diagram as 'sattelitey' (sic) as I could! :D

This is the photo I mean. I can set up Diseqc on the Humax with no bother. I just can't get both on the one menu.

diseqc-19-channel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

very like MS visio

watty wrote: »
    very like MS visio

Yep. I was just looking for an online alternative. Same as say Pixlr etc, just a Visio alternative.

Does the job for a freebie.

• Advertisement

If the installer had any cop-on, he should have known that there was no possible reason to have two feeds from 28E going into the one Diseqc switch. Leaving that aside, you could just use female/female barrell connectors to extend the second feed from 28E direct to the Humax.

Barrel_Connector.jpg

I assume that the only way the two satellites are simultaneously on the wiki pic, is because Tuner 2 had a direct feed to 2nd output of the 28E quad.

However to do a PVR proper you need TWO Diseqc switches. One for each tuner.
    And then feed both (or all four) satellites to both switches.

Maybe the installer got confused.

However to do a PVR proper you need TWO Diseqc switches. One for each tuner.
    And then feed both (or all four) satellites to both switches.

Maybe the installer got confused.

I think I'm confused too! :o

The PVR works fine, how come I'd need two switches? Maybe I should put up with the retune fiasco for now and get a separate receiver and add the barrell thing and an extension to that reciever?

I wanted to stick with the Humax and use the CI slot, like I'm doing now, so as to save clutter and just use the one box. I've no real interest in adding tonnes of gear for all the channels under the sun, I just want to watch Barcelona games at sub-Sky Sports HD prices. :(

Shame the Humax HDR is so fiddly. There's no custom firmware or future official firmware updates that will fix this hokum is there?

Apogee wrote: »
    If the installer had any cop-on, he should have known that there was no possible reason to have two feeds from 28E going into the one Diseqc switch.

I saw this and thought it was right:

http://www.bigdishsat.com/technical.php?sort=fit_diseqc

:confused:

That said, there's no mention of PVR there.

You don't need two switches.

It depends on what you want to do:

1. If you want to either watch/record 19E or watch/record 28E, then you need a single cable from tuner 1 running to the Diseqc switch.

2. If you want to watch/record 19E or 28E and watch/record something else on 28E, you need to connect tuner 2 to the second output on the quad.

3. If you want total flexibility, such as watch/record 19E while simultaneously watching/recording 28E, (or 19E and 19E or 28E and 28E), then you need 2x quads, one on 19E, one on 28E with the two outputs going into 2 diseqc switches, which are in turn connected to Tuner1 and Tuner2.

• Advertisement

You don't need two switches.

It depends on what you want to do:

1. If you want to either watch/record 19E or watch/record 28E, then you need a single cable from tuner 1 running to the Diseqc switch.

2. If you want to watch/record 19E or 28E and watch/record something else on 28E, you need to connect tuner 2 to the second output on the quad.

3. If you want total flexibility, such as watch/record 19E while simultaneously watching/recording 28E, (or 19E and 19E or 28E and 28E), then you need 2x quads, one on 19E, one on 28E with the two outputs going into 2 diseqc switches, which are in turn connected to Tuner1 and Tuner2.

A, I think I fall in to point 2. on your list. I don't think I need point 3.

Excuse my ignorance though, but I assume then for all intents and purposes that I'm set up correctly (albeit in a different configuration than what should be necessary). It's really just down to a receiver limitation? :confused:

I think you fall into 2 as well, and that's what's described in the wiki! So try getting the barrell connectors and go DIY. Or you could chance the installer again and asking what the hell he was thinking connecting 2 feeds from the quad to the Diseqc switch - although I suspect he'll probably hum and haw and say that's what he was told to do.

Yes, the Humaxes (and all Freesat) equipment aren't really very friendly for multi-satellite viewing. A dual tuner Linux box would be better in terms of what you're trying to achieve, but can be quite difficult getting to grips with at first.

If you want to avoid retuning channels, but keep the ability to switch between 19E and 28E then currently with the Humax you will be forced to keep it non-freesat mode. That means you won't have 7-day epg for 28E.

Yes, I was thinking of "3". I like to be bendy.

TBH none of my Free To Air non-Free sat boxes have EVER been friendly.

Deleting the auto found junk (everytime you rescan) and organising favorites and channel order is a pain on four satellites on multiswitch with the brain damage GUI I've seen on any. 2,200 TV and 1,500 radio to fix up :(

As for the 22 odd satellites on the Motorised dish? Mwhahahaha :(:(:(

When are they going to have decent GUI? I used to think MS Explorer was retarded. Now I think it's wonderful.

Many of the PC apps are dreadful too. (I mean both channel editors for set-boxes = All dreadful and PC Satellite cards).

Why can't the Humax remember channels? What sort of stupid software is it that is MORE restrictive than Sky's other Channels? It's not like it's pay TV and it would be a horrible commerical loss if too easy to watch TV not part of Freeview EPG. Sky would not have "other channels" at all except that would make the Sky box illegal.

I cracked it! I'm a happy camper now!

So I checked the switch tonight, the installer did the right thing and fed the 2nd freesat feed direct to the lnb 2 input on the humax. Sort of.

I have one freesat and one hotbird to a and b on the switch. The switch output and 2nd freesat feed appear to meet and form one cable going through the house wall as one rg6 that splits in to two and thus fits on to the two tuners on the receiver.

Anyway, I figured out that all I needed to do was scan freesat as normal. Scan in hotbird as normal. Then switch stb mode whenever I want to switch feed. No need to rescan!

I could have them both working in non freesat mode but I lost the epg and PVR features. Not fun and to be honest, I don't care about recording on hotbird.

Seems to be working pretty much as I want it to now! Hurrah!

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I have one freesat and one hotbird to a and b on the switch. The switch output and 2nd freesat feed appear to meet and form one cable going through the house wall as one rg6 that splits in to two and thus fits on to the two tuners on the receiver.

Are you sure that the 2 cables are joined into 1????? And then split again??????

That makes even no sense whatsoever - it's completely daft! The cables from the Diseqc switch and the 2nd feed should be completely separate and should not be joined.

Are you sure that the 2 cables are joined into 1????? And then split again??????

That makes even no sense whatsoever - it's completely daft! The cables from the Diseqc switch and the 2nd feed should be completely separate and should not be joined.

I'll take a photo of it later today but there is indeed just one cable coming in to the house. It's a cable that actually houses two cables that separate at the end with two F connectors to plug in to the two inputs on the back of the Humax.

maybe it's peeled apart shotgun cable?

A photo of the joined into one part would be good.

Or maybe there is Stacker/de-Stacker?

Many of the PC apps are dreadful too. (I mean both channel editors for set-boxes = All dreadful and PC Satellite cards).

OT question. Is there any channel editing software I can use on the Humax?

There's so much junk or encrypted stuff I won't ever watch on it that I may as well just get rid of it.

The Humax has a rudimentary Edit/Delete/Group option but to complete such a task on all of the Hotbird 13E channels would take an age.

Any suggestions? :)

maybe it's peeled apart shotgun cable?

A photo of the joined into one part would be good.

Or maybe there is Stacker/de-Stacker?

Will do. I'll take a photo of it tonight and post. Hopefully we can solve the mystery then! :D

Thanks for all your help watty and Apogee.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I'll take a photo of it later today but there is indeed just one cable coming in to the house. It's a cable that actually houses two cables that separate at the end with two F connectors to plug in to the two inputs on the back of the Humax.

It sounds like shotgun cable. I don't see how anything would actually work if it wasn't.

Not aware of any channel editing software. If you want to experiment, try some of the channel editors available for other Humax receivers. I *think* the Foxsat is based around the iCord, so might be worth a lash.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/deutsch/support/downloadcenter_model_tool.aspx?category_seq=74

http://www.setedit.de/SetEdit.php?spr=1&Editor=98

• Advertisement

Sorry for not repling sooner. Didn't get a chance to take a photo of the switch and cabling. Will do so though!

I ad couple of problems over the weekend with PVR mode on the Freesat feed. Seems I had the antenna set up as Dual Cable (Different) and had Freesat tuned to both feeds (which I thought was right).

Doing that, when I set up a recording schedule and the receiver was about to record, it would throw up conflicts and if you cancelled reservations it would crash the receiver forcing you to switch it off at the back and run the set up again.

I resolved this by doing a factory reset and running a Freesat scan as normal. With that done I went in to manual tune, set up DISEqC but used Dual Cable (Same). For the non-freesat mode manual tune I just scanned in Hotbird and nothing else.

Now I can switch STB mode back and forth as I please and PVR is not affected. That said I haven't tried PVR on Freesat with the STB mode set to non-freesat so it records freesat schedules while I'm viewing Hotbird channels.

My guess is it won't work, but I'll try it and see. :)

Advertisement