Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosetta Stone user in need of help

Options
  • 09-09-2010 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,
    I am trying my best to pick up the Irish langauage again after many years away from school and am using the Rosetta Stone package in this venture. But as I'm sure many of you know, this programme offers little in the way of explaination or grammar.
    Why query is why sometimes the english word "in" is translated as either "sa" or "i". Is there I reason why either translation is used? Are they interchangable or is there a rule I am unaware of here? I would really appreciate some help here. I am at an early stage of my learning but I do want to learn all the basics from the start.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

i = in
    in = in (before vowel)
    sa = in the
    san = in the (before vowel)
    sna = in the (plural)

you may also here in the Gaeltachtaí
    ins an
    ins na

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 luckyfreddy

Thanks a million Crosáidí,
    thats makes it nice and clear. Very much appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

How much is the Rosette Stone irish package and is it good OP?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Lots of opinions here on RS that I think you should take on board before investing:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8

In short, it's very expensive and the same amount of vocab would be available online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 luckyfreddy

MidlandsM,
    I'm afraid I don't know the cost, got it as a birthday present.
    I would recommend it however, but it is handy to have a dictionary and the internet available to you as you're studying. It's doesn't explain things as it goes along, but rather through repetition and using examples in differing context you generally come to understand things without needing explainations (but this doesn't work 100% of the time.
    I've tried other packages in the past and found them all so boring it was hard to progress. I honestly look forward to studying with Rosetta Stone and for me thats worth alot.
    So yes, i'd recommend it - as long as you keep an internet connection close at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I used a friend's copy to learn Dutch a while back. I kept at it for a few months.

It seems to work alright; very good with pronunciation. But all you learn (in regarding to Dutch anyway) would be just various words, verbs and numbers. Fine for a beginner, but the grammar chapters are (IMO) crap. You may learn the endings for conjugation fine, but it's impossible to show the difference via pictures for things such as emphatic pronouns (je and jij are not the same, but rs uses jij. I'm not emphasizing something, so why should I use jij?).

I'd recommend using it for pronunciation, but get a good grammar book and look at as many films in the language that you're learning as you can. It's just not worth it.

I do like the idea of using immersion though, as many times I've begun to think in dutch after using rs for a while.

Advertisement