Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you Hardcode Subtitles to a video file?

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭

Hve tried this several times using various tools like nero 8 and virtual dub. Also on vlc player but have no luck. May be doing it wrong! Anybody know how?? Have been using .srt or .sub files!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

thanks but Yeh i tried that before. numerous times in different ways does not work. I cant understand why one single program cant do it simply!!! SOmebody mus know whos done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

We send all our stuff off to redbee in the UK.. I dont think anyone in Ireland can do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cheapestps3

Tools needed

VirtualDUB

VirtualDub Subtitler Plugin

SRT - SSA Converter

Open VirtualDub. Select Video tab and then Filters. Then press the Add button followed by the Load button. You now want to browse to the subtitler.vdf file you downloaded earlier and finish the operation by pressing Open

Leave VirtualDub open, as we will need it later.

The next step is converting the .srt files into something VirtualDub can read, in this case, an .ssa file.
    Open up the .SRT-.SSA Converter and click on Browse to select the .srt file you want converted.
    The program will create an output file with the identical name as the input file except with an .ssa extension.
    Due to the small screen of the Dingoo, we need to reduce the size of the subtitle fonts. Change the Size in Font Options down to around 16.
    All you have to do now is hit Convert.

(if you have SUB/IDX subtitles then you will need to find a SRT version instead - try opensubtitles.org , subscene.com or subtitlesource.org - SUB/IDX files are very difficult to convert to SRT if you don't have the original DVD VOB files handy and it's usually easier and quicker to track down a SRT version instead)

Go back to VirtualDub which should still be open.
    Select the Subtitler filter and click OK.
    In the Subtitler Configuration, select the .ssa subtitle file that you just created and press OK
    Click OK again to go back to the main VirtualDUB screen.
    Go to the Video tab and select Full Processing Mode.
    Now go to File and Open Video File and use the browse function to select the .avi file you want the subtitles hardcoded to. Press Open when you locate it.

Lastly we need to select the compression for our .avi.
    Navigate once again to the Video tab and select Compression.
    If your file is an XviD (most likely) then simply select XviD Mpeg-4 Codec from the list. Leave the default settings.
    If your file is another type of compression select that from the list and leave the default settings.

To finish simply go to File and select Save As .avi. Save it where you want and make sure the Save as type is set to Audio-Video Interleave (*.avi).
    Click Save and you are done. Grab some Tea or Coffee and wait for your .avi with hardcoded subtitles.

I think i clarified your doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

The easiest way to add an srt file to an avi is using winavi.
    I do it when converting an avi to a dvd but winavi allows you output a few different file formats.
    Just make sure the avi and srt are in the same folder.
    Apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick and you're after something completely different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Tools needed

VirtualDUB

VirtualDub Subtitler Plugin

SRT - SSA Converter

Open VirtualDub. Select Video tab and then Filters. Then press the Add button followed by the Load button. You now want to browse to the subtitler.vdf file you downloaded earlier and finish the operation by pressing Open

Leave VirtualDub open, as we will need it later.

The next step is converting the .srt files into something VirtualDub can read, in this case, an .ssa file.
    Open up the .SRT-.SSA Converter and click on Browse to select the .srt file you want converted.
    The program will create an output file with the identical name as the input file except with an .ssa extension.
    Due to the small screen of the Dingoo, we need to reduce the size of the subtitle fonts. Change the Size in Font Options down to around 16.
    All you have to do now is hit Convert.

(if you have SUB/IDX subtitles then you will need to find a SRT version instead - try opensubtitles.org , subscene.com or subtitlesource.org - SUB/IDX files are very difficult to convert to SRT if you don't have the original DVD VOB files handy and it's usually easier and quicker to track down a SRT version instead)

Go back to VirtualDub which should still be open.
    Select the Subtitler filter and click OK.
    In the Subtitler Configuration, select the .ssa subtitle file that you just created and press OK
    Click OK again to go back to the main VirtualDUB screen.
    Go to the Video tab and select Full Processing Mode.
    Now go to File and Open Video File and use the browse function to select the .avi file you want the subtitles hardcoded to. Press Open when you locate it.

Lastly we need to select the compression for our .avi.
    Navigate once again to the Video tab and select Compression.
    If your file is an XviD (most likely) then simply select XviD Mpeg-4 Codec from the list. Leave the default settings.
    If your file is another type of compression select that from the list and leave the default settings.

To finish simply go to File and select Save As .avi. Save it where you want and make sure the Save as type is set to Audio-Video Interleave (*.avi).
    Click Save and you are done. Grab some Tea or Coffee and wait for your .avi with hardcoded subtitles.

I think i clarified your doubts

Wow I might have tried this before but will try these instructions to the letter and let you know how i got on!

Advertisement