Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC. Womens and Mens Lacrosse

Options
  • 09-09-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

We would like to start a Womens and Mens lacrosse team at UCC to play in the Irish Lacrosse League against UCD, Trinity, NUIG, QUB and a couple of other teams.

It is very fun and sociable.

We have coaches in Cork to run training sessions but we need a student to start the Soc.

If you are interested please contact

Tony
    olord@yahoo.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

To be honest, if you don't have a student who has the initiative to start this on their own, with the knowledge to run it, it's not going to last. Outside interests starting it is a waste of money for other students who do have a genuine interest in their sport and have the determination to run a club.

I have seen societies basically run by "coaches" who came from outside UCC and it has ruined the society, with no student getting a say. They've basically used UCC for its facilities and left the real reason for societies, expanding students' horizons long behind. It was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublinlacrosse

Buceph wrote: »
    To be honest, if you don't have a student who has the initiative to start this on their own, with the knowledge to run it, it's not going to last. Outside interests starting it is a waste of money for other students who do have a genuine interest in their sport and have the determination to run a club.

I have seen societies basically run by "coaches" who came from outside UCC and it has ruined the society, with no student getting a say. They've basically used UCC for its facilities and left the real reason for societies, expanding students' horizons long behind. It was a disgrace.

As far as lacrosse is concerned....In NUIG, Trinity, Queens and UCD this is not the case.

Thanks for your comments but I have 150 people in lacrosse programs in Irish Unis that would strongly disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Thanks for your comments but I have 150 people in lacrosse programs in Irish Unis that would strongly disagree

150 students in NUIG, Trinity, Queens and UCD does not a UCC society make.

As Buceph alluded to, the societies get a lot of funding out of the fees students pay. In light of that fact I think it's only right that societies primarily exist to serve the interests of the student body, not some external organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

As far as I can see you are simply tallying students from across as many universities as you can get your hands on. You have no affilliation to UCC, and so far no student has come here looking for someone to help them, and that's the important part, you would help them, not the other way around. Societies and clubs are a lot more in UCC than they are outside of UCC. They represent the University and everything that entails. They're not solely dedicated to the activity, but have a far more holistic purpose than that. And one of the ways it's kept that way (at least it's tried to be kept that way) is by keeping mercenaries away from them.

I would have no problem if a student came on here looking for an alumni who coached lacrosse, or looking for someone with knowledge of clubs and how they worked so they could get a hand. I would have no problem if a student went to the lacrosse forum and asked if there is someone able to coach should UCC start a lacrosse club. But that's coming from the students, which is the way it's meant to be. Helping students is what the University is all about. It isn't about helping you get another 50 people on your running tally.

As far as I can see you are simply tallying students from across as many universities as you can get your hands on. You have no affilliation to UCC, and so far no student has come here looking for someone to help them, and that's the important part, you would help them, not the other way around. Societies and clubs are a lot more in UCC than they are outside of UCC. They represent the University and everything that entails. They're not solely dedicated to the activity, but have a far more holistic purpose than that. And one of the ways it's kept that way (at least it's tried to be kept that way) is by keeping mercenaries away from them.

I would have no problem if a student came on here looking for an alumni who coached lacrosse, or looking for someone with knowledge of clubs and how they worked so they could get a hand. I would have no problem if a student went to the lacrosse forum and asked if there is someone able to coach should UCC start a lacrosse club. But that's coming from the students, which is the way it's meant to be. Helping students is what the University is all about. It isn't about helping you get another 50 people on your running tally.

Students run the Clubs in UCD, NUIG, QUB, TCD etc.... not us...Non-Students do not play for University Teams......I just want them to know we're here to help them get started in something that is great. The students in the other universities have a brilliant time but As far as I am concerned you are small minded and limited to your own ideas......You should look into that......I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand.....You should keep your mouth shut and stop going on the internet to complain about stuff......There's a beautiful world out there!!!!!

• Advertisement

150 students in NUIG, Trinity, Queens and UCD does not a UCC society make.

As Buceph alluded to, the societies get a lot of funding out of the fees students pay. In light of that fact I think it's only right that societies primarily exist to serve the interests of the student body, not some external organisation.

People go to college to try new things. We are not an external organisation. We are people trying to develop a great sport that other Universities play in Ireland. I do not get anything out of this. I am a volunteer. We are all volunteers. If you only knew what I was talking about you would understand. You should be more open minded and do some research before you comment on something you don't know anything about.

Just saying you should give things a chance!!!!!!

By expanding students horizons......Do you think that if students in Ireland have gone to play in tournaments against teams from 30 other nations, have made new friends, had the time of a lifetime and gained respect of a sport invented by the Native Americans over a thousand years ago would qualify?????

Advertisement