Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year computing - books?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Howayas

Anyone here who did computing know if we need many books, if any?

If yes, anyone got their old books?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Some1

No, you don't need any books. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

No you don't need any, library will have any books you'd like to use though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

whopper buzz budds

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Well let's just clarify this.
    You don't need books to complete the course, however a number of the modules do begin by listing out some books that the lecturers would classify as 'Required reading' or as highly beneficial. The library does have a number of books, but lets face it they can only have so many. A lot of the lecturers notes are highly refined to be easy to learn from, some aren't so easy. My advice would be to attend all your modules for a few weeks(I know it's hard :D), read ahead on the slides that will be available on moodle. If you can easily understand all the subjects then you're laughing, if not then buy a well reviewed book as a crutch for your exam. Or disregarding all that then just buy a book as you have an interest in your chosen course of study and would like to become more knowledgeable on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Cheers

Well was told to get no books at all for SD as the library copies are outdated, and differ from what we'll learn in class a bit

I'm plannin on bein a nerd this year, and going to all my classes, possibly to the dismay of the teachers :P

They keep sayin "You dont HAVE TO come to class" ... "but please do"

:P

I'll just read ahead for other subjects in the library if I'm findin anything aint clickin

woop woop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

unreggd wrote: »
    Well was told to get no books at all for SD as the library copies are outdated, and differ from what we'll learn in class a bit

haha yea we got the same off Stephen last year. His notes on moodle are very detailed and easy to understand, a lot more so than any Java book I've come across. Besides you'll learn more about Java actually doing it in the labs that you will from reading a book on the subject.

If you get stuck with Java I can give you a hand, I'm usually floating about the labs 229 and 231, just look for my Hellsing bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

I'm enjoying the new computers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just regarding books, how do people find buying books in the college? Are they cheap enough or would you be better buying online for instance?

Also, can you take books out of the library for the year at all? Or just a couple of weeks at a time?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just regarding books, how do people find buying books in the college? Are they cheap enough or would you be better buying online for instance?

Also, can you take books out of the library for the year at all? Or just a couple of weeks at a time?

Cheers

Not sure on the latter question, but regarding buying them try in the Student Union they usually have 2nd hand books for sale.

Advertisement