Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on chimney brick - What's best brick?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, I have a bit of a leak in an old red brick chimney and need to rebuild.

The builder has advised using a <SNIP> brick for the rebuild and says they are really good quality for this type of job. He cannot remember where he last sourced them!.

I see that <SNIP> stock them. I think they manufacture them under license or something. Does anyone know if the <SNIP> bricks supplied by <SNIP> are the best and if they are the same as UK <SNIP>

Mod Edit: Please don't name company and specific product on thread as this is a breach of the forum charter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Please PM recommendations for the best type of chimney brick to the OP, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd highly recommend that you install a metal or lead chimney tray - it fits across the whole chimney it will prevent water seeping down into your home.

All real red brick is made of clay and all clay is porous. Porous clay will allow water penetration especially on a very wet windy day.
    (IMO unrendered Concrete bricks will also allow water penetration)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

Aye, would deffo use a metal tray and probably apply a couple of coats of a good sealer afterwards. Its more the best brick to use that I am interested in (i.e. some or more porous than others, frost resistant etc).

Advertisement