Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

feeding a pup??

Options
  • 08-09-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

i have a 9 week old rottie pup,starting her on beta puppy,small feeds 3/4 times a day,if she dont eat it after say ten mins or so should i take food away and feed again later or wat would people reckon?cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

If you are sure you are not giving your pup too big a meal at one go then no I wouldn't apply this rule (normally 20mins) on a v.young pup. Pups need longer to eat their meals, they are slower at eating, get distracted etc. Pups need to eat regularly and shouldn't skip a meal if it can be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im very surprised if you will have a problem with a rottie pup eating as they are usually hoovers for food at that age, i know my pup is at the mo (13 weeks) and my other rottie was too.

Is the food you are feeding the same as the breeders food? If its different it could be just the pup getting used to it if its not eating it.
    Puppies at that age generally have no problems eating so just keep an eye on it.
    Is the pup in good form other than that? How long have you got the pup?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭sidebyside

pup is in grand form,only have her a couple of weeks...shes no hoover!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

sidebyside wrote: »
    shes no hoover!!

I wouldn't worry too much, my 14 month old Rottie isn't a particularly great eater. In fact I have to watch her with my Spitz because she will sometimes like to take a breather for a minute or so when eating and if she turns her back for long enough my Spitz will be in there eating her dinner and she will just sit there and let hm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

sidebyside wrote: »
    pup is in grand form,only have her a couple of weeks...shes no hoover!!

If shes 9 weeks, when did you get her? Pups are only meant to leave the litter/mother from 8 weeks onwards. Its not recommended to take them any earlier than that or it could lead to problems. Hope you didnt get her too early.

Are you feeding her the recommended amount on the bag? If shes not a great eater then feed a little less to encourage her to finish her meal.

Do you give her many treats? If so i would cut them out and only feed her the kibble so shes hungry when it comes to meal times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement