Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block construction vs timber construction opinions/experiences please

Options
  • 08-09-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have alway thought that when i built i would go for timber frame, dont know why really just did, but now that the time has come to build im now thinking a concrete construction instead.

What is the pros and cons of each, I imagine that there would be a fair bit of movement in timber frames, would be a bit nosier, wouldnt last as long as concrete, but on the other hand or a faster build with less drying out time, or more environmentally friendly, easier to keep warm as better insulated...

What is people opinions/experiences on each, which would you go for and why?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

No doubt your structural engineer can design the timber frame to mitigate the risk of significant movement so that shouldnt be an issue - unless you go ahead without an engineer, in which case you'll employ one in 5 years time to figure out where it all went wrong..

Personally I've designed many timber, concrete and steel frames, all of which have their merits. But if I was building my own house I'd have precast concrete floors and load bearing masonry walls.

I wont go into the advantages/disadvantages of the various construction types as we'd be here all day! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

Speed of contruction and high insulation levels is keeping a timber frame in the back of my mind, I would like to here from others who have used timber frame and what they have thought of it now? is anything were you now wished you went concrete instead?

Can anyone recommend a good timber frame company?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....as you mention it specifically, the issue of sound, and durability: there is no reason for any timber-based solution would be any less, than conc build for those properties. Remember, timber has, and is, the material of choice for most joisting, flooring and roofing -even in a conc house. It's not the fact that it's timber that's an issue - more, the manner in which it is used (details, etc).

It's perfectly possible to have a long-lived, quiet, durable structure, in timber.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement